• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2014 World Cup: Quarter-Finals

Goondal

I am interested to see how the favorites do in this round.  Outside of Colombia they all struggled for at least some of their games against lesser opponents and some of them obviously did so very deep into the game.  I wonder how much of that was the nerves of a team that was expected to make it a lot farther compared to opponents that really had nothing to lose.  Either way, I really hope the matches are as good as the previous round.  My rooting interest going forward:

1-Germany

2-The Netherlands

3-Costa Rica

4-Belgium

5-Colombia

6-Argentina

7-France

2-4 are mostly interchangeable, I put Belgium fourth because I am mad at them.  If they played Argentina in the finals I would root for France but they play Germany next, thus the ranking.

Mats Hummels back in full training yesterday. Not sure if he'll be fit for a full 90 though. Low said up to 7 players have been sick in the last week, but refused to name them.

Playing 4 CBs on the back line, while also playing such a high line is a recipe for disaster. Benzema and Pogba can give those guys fits. I'd expect Low to drop the line back just a touch, but Neuer is still going to have to be a sweeping keeper some.

Yep 3 DCs on 4, are sick or injured, obviously today they are ok and feeling better.

worries :

- If Benzema is playing along side with Giroud we are doomed, Griezmann must play with either Ben or Giroud.

- Red cards are worrying me.. I won't be surprised if the French are finishing this game with 10 or even 9 players..

Germany, Colombia, Netherlands and Belgium.

That is what I am rooting for but I doubt all four I want to win will win.  I really think Brazil is going to play better as the tournament goes on and as good as they have looked this is Colombia's first real test.  That game features the heavy favorite that has struggled against a young upstart team that has looked great and so many people are siding with them.  I have seen that story too many times and it usually ends poorly for the underdog.

Archived