• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gordon Hayward to visit Hornets next week.

PantherBrew

I ask again,

What was their other option(s)?

That was their best shot at putting together a title team.

Lets say they didnt sign those guys, saved their money and signed Melo.

They still are not title contenders.

You gotta take chances plain and simple. If not your gonna be doing a lot of waiting and wishing on things that may or may not happen.

Of course they had other options.

There is a difference in between taking chances and smart shopping.

When we signed Al Jefferson to that huge contract he was already one of the most consistent big men in the NBA.

Hayward is currently one of the most inconsistent shooting guards in the league.

Id take Al right now over injured old Wade. Id also take Al over forever MIA Bosh.

Al is probably the best low post scoring C in the league.

Wade still averaged 21 ppg in those two championship runs with Miami.

Bosh quietly averaged 17 ppg.

Not to mention both were still top five at their respective positions when Miami won those two ships.

When we signed Al Jefferson to that huge contract he was already one of the most consistent big men in the NBA.

Hayward is currently one of the most inconsistent shooting guards in the league.

I swear, it's like people completely forgot what Hurney did to the Panthers and what Gettleman is trying to clean up...

What exactly were their other options?

Al was completely undervalued and many had questions about his signing. 

You can not compare NFL with the NBA. 

Much more disparity and talent spread across the NFL. 

Overpaying for instant gratification can ruin teams in the long run. Works that way across all sports, even in uncapped leagues.

Fans are smarter now. We don't look for just the "splash" signings anymore like we used to. We look for the "smart" signing. The signing that brings the team the most value for the money the team is paying him. Gordon Hayward might be just what this team needs, but if he's not putting up borderline All-Star numbers through the life of a max contract, he's simply not worth that investment. 8 to 10 million dollars is reasonable. 15 million is not. That's the difference between signing a Patty Mills to be your sixth man (hypothetical, I know he's injured and the Spurs already re-signed him) or being stuck with the Heat's bench. That changes the entire outlook of your roster down the 82-game stretch and especially in the playoffs.

Kind of on the subject, if you guys haven't already seen it, Grantland did a short about Sacramento in the war room making the Stauskas pick. It's strange to hear the discussion and debate of an NBA front office sound exactly like draft threads in this or any other basketball-centric forum.

Overpaying for instant gratification can ruin teams in the long run. Works that way across all sports, even in uncapped leagues.

Fans are smarter now. We don't look for just the "splash" signings anymore like we used to. We look for the "smart" signing. The signing that brings the team the most value for the money the team is paying him. Gordon Hayward might be just what this team needs, but if he's not putting up borderline All-Star numbers through the life of a max contract, he's simply not worth that investment. 8 to 10 million dollars is reasonable. 15 million is not. That's the difference between signing a Patty Mills to be your sixth man (hypothetical, I know he's injured and the Spurs already re-signed him) or being stuck with the Heat's bench. That changes the entire outlook of your roster down the 82-game stretch and especially in the playoffs.

Kind of on the subject, if you guys haven't already seen it, Grantland did a short about Sacramento in the war room making the Stauskas pick. It's strange to hear the discussion and debate of an NBA front office sound exactly like draft threads in this or any other basketball-centric forum.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Signing Hayward would be far from simply instant gratification. He is a damn good, smart, versatile player who is projected to put up 18-20/5/5.

Lets look at "All Star" numbers right quick.

Wall - 19/8/4 43%

Noah - 12/11/1.5 47%

Millsap - 17/8/1 46%

Johnson - 15/3/2 45%

If you guys are hoping for a 25+ ppg player to come rolling through Cha than I am afraid you will be waiting along time.

We gotta put together a nice team given the opportunities we have. And no that doesnt mean overpaying marginal players.

Two of those players are also making under $12.2 mill per year furthering my belief that you can sign a solid player without ruining your cap flexibility.

Two of those players are also making under $12.2 mill per year furthering my belief that you can sign a solid player without ruining your cap flexibility.

Circumstances? ie Rookie contract / havent played at that level prior to latest new contract. 

Two of those guys are not even averaging over 15ppg. 

Circumstances? ie Rookie contract / havent played at that level prior to latest new contract.

Two of those guys are not even averaging over 15ppg.

Noah and Millsap aren't rookies...

I really don't understand why you are still arguing.

Is Hayward a good player yes, would I pay $12 mil for him sure, is he worth 25% of our salary space for the next four years... absolutely not.

I'm only offering a max to players that I think that could get us to the ECF's. Hayward is not one of those players.

I keep seeing the comment that Hayward is "projected" to put up 18-20/5/5

Well, projections are wrong all of the time. If he does meet these projections, it has to be efficient scoring as well. I am not willing to dish out max money on a projection, and a player as inconsistent as Hayward has been. He is young, he should get 9-10 million tops. Prove himself, then get paid a bigger ccontract.

Rather just put my faith in PJ to be that player for us down the road. None of these guys are worth that much money. And its stupid to make moves like these based off hoping AL doesn't leave. Don't see how they put us over the hump that much.

Archived