• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chivas USA to Suspend Operations

DirtyMagic97

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/2061689/chivas-usa-to-suspend-operations-after-mls-seasonsources-say

Chivas USA will suspend operations at the end of the MLS regular season, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation have told ESPNFC.com.

One source added that the league has agreed to sell the club to an undisclosed investment group for a fee in the neighborhood of $100 million, and that going on hiatus is a condition of the sale.

Hmm.. I wonder if they'd be willing to relocate? Obviously LA isn't strong enough to sustain two MLS teams. I'd love to see them shift to Charlotte, and I think you guys could have a decent presence for games.

Btw, I found this photo of one of the present owners.I know it's a sponsor for the team, and I believe the company is Mexican, but still funny nonetheless:

angelica_fuentes_1.jpg

:lol:

Hmm.. I wonder if they'd be willing to relocate? Obviously LA isn't strong enough to sustain two MLS teams. I'd love to see them shift to Charlotte, and I think you guys could have a decent presence for games.

I was wondering this as well. I don't see them relocating to Charlotte, but clearly LA can't host two MLS squads. They'd do well to move. Rebranding can only do so much.

MLS will soon announce the owners of its new team in Los Angeles that will replace Chivas USA, and the ownership group that’s almost certain to land the team includes Henry Nguyen, Peter Guber, Vincent Tan and Tom Penn, SI.com has learned.

MLS is expected to announce the winning group officially as soon as next week, after the league’s Board of Governors meets in Los Angeles on Monday.

Nguyen is a Vietnamese-American venture capitalist who recently brought the first McDonald’s franchise to Vietnam. He would move to Los Angeles as the majority partner. Guber is a Hollywood producer and co-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Golden State Warriors. Tan is the flamboyant Malaysian owner of Cardiff City, which played in the Premier League last season, and would be a minority owner. And Penn is a former NBA executive and analytics expert who has worked at ESPN.

The fee for the new L.A. team, which will likely start play in 2017, is believed to be in excess of $100 million, the league record fee that New York City FC paid to join MLS next March. It would be an expansion team in MLS, and Chivas USA would be dissolved.

The group has committed to building a new soccer stadium in Los Angeles. Sources tell SI.com that two sites they are interested in are in downtown L.A. (“not far from the Staples Center”) and near the Hollywood Park racetrack. The league has spoken about a possible site near the current L.A. Sports Arena.

Oh for fug's sake... won't they learn from the NFL on this one? LA doesn't have enough to sustain two teams. I'd be looking to shop into another city... I can see the MLS requiring they stay as part of the deal, but if this is by choice, then they're nucking futs to try to go against Galaxy again. It's obviously been proven to be a fail move.

Archived