• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Mayock on Cam Newton (on around the NFL)

AKPantherFan

About Gabbert--I don't blame Mayock as much as I do the Jags. NO QB would have made it there at that time. Gabbert got gun shy. On the other hand, Cam had a 13-game resume in a spread offense that really did not challenge the QB.

I respect Mayock. He evaluates talent, not the situations and variables that impact success.

Gabbert was gun shy in college. That's one thing nobody could ever say about cam.

I tend to let some stuff slide about cam from the draft stuff I heard because if you are looking at it honestly he was a bit of a risk. But not because of stupid fake smile bs. Because he was raw with one real college season. That scares ppl and understandably.

Gabbert was gun shy in college. That's one thing nobody could ever say about cam.

I tend to let some stuff slide about cam from the draft stuff I heard because if you are looking at it honestly he was a bit of a risk. But not because of stupid fake smile bs. Because he was raw with one real college season. That scares ppl and understandab

I can say that I never saw much of Gabbert in college, but Mayock is usually pretty solid, imo.

About Gabbert--I don't blame Mayock as much as I do the Jags.  NO QB would have made it there at that time.  Gabbert got gun shy.  On the other hand, Cam had a 13-game resume in a spread offense that really did not challenge the QB. 

I respect Mayock.  He evaluates talent, not the situations and variables that impact success. 

Gabbert was gun shy, and scary at Missouri. i remember seeing this as i broke down his cut ups and watched his games.

Statistically all he has to do is put up the numbers he's been putting up.  He needs to win playoff games to get there though.

Cam Newton will never win a playoff game.  Because teams win, not individuals.  :)

Seriously, for Cam to play for a winner, the team around him is going to have to get better and develop a winning mentality.  Cam certainly played well enough to win the forty niner game last year, but some elements of the team did not. 

Gabbert was gun shy, and scary at Missouri. i remember seeing this as i broke down his cut ups and watched his games.

This is true.

Mayock, was just wrong for what ever reason.

Gabbert, clearly had happy feet and was shaky when you watched him in College. He was not a composed QB. And it was clear to see.

Newton, on the other hand, looked as composed and commanding at QB while at Auburn, as he did during his rookie season with the Panthers. Doesn't matter what type of offense he played in. That's where good eyes, and film breakdown comes in the picture.

Most scouts, knew Gabbert was no good. It was only only media types (such as Mayock), who wanted a two QB race for the draft. But there really wasn't.

Drafts, are executed on talent mainly. It's not always experience. And Newton, presented way more talent than Gabbert. And you would have to argue, his experience at Auburn, was quite impressive.

Mike Mayock did not think Blaine Gabbert was a better QB than Cam Newton.  He was a fan of Gabbert, yes, but Mayock said leading up to the draft that the main reason he was putting Gabbert over Newton is because he "didn't know" with Cam (referring to the questions about Cam's character).  And while I thought the doubts about Newton the man were overblown, it is an understandable position he took.  I credit him for not pretending to act like he actually knew Cam either because he admitted he had never met Newton and didn't know the kind of person he truly was.

If I recall, he said that if he was 100% positive that Newton was dedicated to being the best QB he could possibly be that he was all-in with the guy.  So Mayock, compared to other analysts, was very high on Cam the QB.  He just didn't trust Cam the person which I felt was understandable.

I did not realize that he was that way at Missou.  I never heard that mentioned then--not until he was at Jax. 

Mayock is not the best QB talent evaluator, but he is better with Defensive players and OL, in my opinion. 

Archived