• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason Campbell, Jake Delhomme and the Panthers future at QB

BlindSite

Jake Delhomme we all know is our QB for the immediate future. We don't know however how much longer he can be effective, or how just how far he can take the team, particularly with his track record. He's 34 years old, and will be 35 before the next draft and this season or the next is realistically the time Carolina needs to be thinking about the future of the position.

Jason Campbell is very obviously on his way out in Washington. He was drafted by Gibbs and it's pretty clear that Zorn wants to bring in his own guy. He tried replacing him this offseason and there's a school of thought that feels Brennan is Zorn's future QB and that he could see the field within the next two seasons (09 included).

Jason Campbell's rookie deal will be up at the end of 2009 and based on the washington redskins cap strapped ways and Zorn's lack of love for Campbell I can see him hitting the open market.

Given that Delhomme will be 35 and realistically won't ever be better than he is right now, Campbell would seem to be an attractive option. An accurate passer with a big arm and last season showed real ability to protect the football would be an ideal replacement. We know fox doesn't like to draft QBs, early anyway and based on what I've seen, even though it's the preseason Moore hasn't exactly progressed to where he should be. Yes it'll be a system change, yes it would be an adjustment for all involved, but with our running game and dominant Oline it could work quite easily.

Thoughts?

Please note, this isn't a Jake bashing thread, or a thread for the haters to start up their flame throwers. I want legit discussion on the future of the position and how you'd think Campbell would fit.

I guess you didn't see Campbell play tonight. Granted, it was just one preseason game, but he was TERRIBLE. Something like 1 for 10.

I don't want him to be the future QB here. If Delhomme is about the 18th best quarterback in the NFL, Campbell is something like 15th or 16th. I'd look to the draft for a Zac Robinson or Colt McCoy if he falls that far.

Preseason football only means anything, at all, when the backups trot out. It's like getting excited over practices in shorts.

His last regular season was actually very, very good there were a few stutters but it was a new system. The draft is a 2 year process minimum to develop a QB, by that time Delhomme would be nearly 38. He won't last that long.

Campbell with our backs and line wouldn't just be a mid level QB, and even if he was, with our support cast, a mid level QB is all we need.

Preseason football only means anything, at all, when the backups trot out. It's like getting excited over practices in shorts.

His last regular season was actually very, very good there were a few stutters but it was a new system. The draft is a 2 year process minimum to develop a QB, by that time Delhomme would be nearly 38. He won't last that long.

Campbell with our backs and line wouldn't just be a mid level QB, and even if he was, with our support cast, a mid level QB is all we need.

If Fox is still coaching Delhomme will be here. FYI.

His last regular season was actually very, very good. The draft is a 2 year process minimum to develop a QB, by that time Delhomme would be nearly 38. He won't last that long.

Matt Ryan? Joe Flacco? Ben Roethlisberger? It can be done, you just need to draft the right quarterback. Also, with the fantastic offensive line, best running back tandem in the game, best receiver in the game....a rookie quarterback has a better chance succeeding on this team than most. It's a testament to how bad Delhomme really is that he struggles with such a strong supporting cast.

I wouldn't mind Campbell, I think he could be a good game manager and he actually makes pretty good decisions I think he went about 6 games or so in a row last season without throwing an INT. Although if we pay Peppers again then I hope he will work for BBQ and pecan pie.

Delhomme is the starter until the end of 2011. If Moore and McCown don't step up, look for the first pick the Panthers have in the 2010 draft to be a QB.

Unless there is some drop-dead amazing QB available on the market next offseason...

Delhomme is under contract and it's not a big enough contract that he'd have to start for it to be economical.

I don't know where you're getting this feeling we're drafting a QB from, Fox never has before and he'll fix the needs on defense before he even thinks about drafting a QB early. We've only got our 2nd this year, need another DT and we'll lose Peppers in the offseason.

i'd be open to it.

most likely when jake is gone things will be changing a good bit anyway.

next years class of QBs is really nice but us drafting one early? i'm not sure we are going to see that happening.

i do know that the backup QBs aren't progressing the way i would like for them to but a lot of their goofs have to do with the lack of talented and experienced depth that we have on the oline.

if they brought in campbell i don't think it would happen with a very big price tag considering the depth in that QB class next year. there could very well be some talented and experienced players falling through the cracks carrying a nice price compared to the amount we would have to pay an early draft pick.

Matt Ryan? Joe Flacco? Ben Roethlisberger? It can be done, you just need to draft the right quarterback. Also, with the fantastic offensive line, best running back tandem in the game, best receiver in the game....a rookie quarterback has a better chance succeeding on this team than most. It's a testament to how bad Delhomme really is that he struggles with such a strong supporting cast.

Matt Ryan is the only one of the three who was really a contributing factor to his team winning games as a rookie. Flacco was decent, as was Roethlisberger, but neither were good enough to win in the playoffs or by themselves.

Matt Ryan is the only one of the three who was really a contributing factor to his team winning games as a rookie. Flacco was decent, as was Roethlisberger, but neither were good enough to win in the playoffs or by themselves.

Then a rookie would fit into our current system perfectly. :D

Delhomme is under contract and it's not a big enough contract that he'd have to start for it to be economical.

I don't know where you're getting this feeling we're drafting a QB from, Fox never has before and he'll fix the needs on defense before he even thinks about drafting a QB early. We've only got our 2nd this year, need another DT and we'll lose Peppers in the offseason.

Fox fixes major offseason questions through the draft. Always has.

Regardless of what kind of contract Jake has, he will start this year, next year, and the year after. His final year of the contract, he will be in a backup/mentor role. Then he will retire.

Our QB of the future, if not already on the roster, is playing college ball right now. I'd lay money on it.

Go back and look at Ben's rookie season. 13-0 as a starter, 98.1 quarterback rating... Yeah he wasn't good enough his rookie season. :rolleyes:

Archived