• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should we be the North Carolina Panthers? Map says yes

GRWatcher

Really man?!? Come the fug on, it's playoff week and you put up dividing bullshit! You are an ass, neither state bid was strong enough to get the team. JR UNITED THE BID AND WE(both states) GOT THE TEAM! It's been Carolina Panthers from day one and I hope it stays that way if for no other reason than to piss you off.

Neither could Clemson's until Mr. Richardson put up the money for an upgrade. Still don't know why Gamecocks refused to let us use their stadium.

My understanding back in the day is that USC's athletic director at the time, Mike McGee, considered the new NFL team to be a potential competitor and didn't think it was in the university's best interest to help out. I'm not sure if he had the power to make the decision to spurn the Panthers or if he persuaded the university administration to not work with the Panthers. 

i know this thread was started to start some good-natured teasing on SC people for not supporting the home team, but some of these comments are anything but. Such comments make SC people want to do anything with with their money but spend it in Charlotte on a Sunday, or any other day for that matter. I'm glad that the people who run the Panthers have a different opinion than such people.

You do realize that the only reason that the thread was created is that poll results indicate that South Carolina (unlike North Carolina) sides with the entire rest of the nation in picking the Seahawks to win? Many North Carolinians think that this faux pas on the part of South Carolinians deserves a little tongue-in-cheek criticism.

A good bit of comments here are far beyond tongue and cheek and enter into the sort of ignorance reserved for the tinder box. As for the poll I highly doubt it is representative of anything worthy of analysis, let alone the monicker "faux pas."

As someone posted a few posts above mine, the poll has already swung back to SC supporting the Panthers. Did they wake up overnight? No. Selecting a media driven, sensationalist, and relatively obscure poll to open the door to pick at SC seems contrite. This isn't the offseason, we have have better things to talk about than bashing a state who has the second largest panthers following in the world. Lets reserve our energy for ribbing Seattle right now!

proud SC Panther fan here. there are a hell of alot of us down here. we just dont have rose-colored glasses on with the Panthers because they perpetually burn us. ive said this before in other contexts, but when the Panthers start winning regularly, they will gain a much greater following in both states. 

i love the Panthers and always will. but if i would have taken that ESPN poll, i may have been one of the ones who said the Seahawks would win. on paper they are the better team. that said, i do believe the Panthers have a chance. but am i willing to stake anything on saying the Panthers win? hell no. i'd sooner bet against my team in this instance. i want them to win, and think they can, but i will not bet on them to win. 

Archived