• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Class Registration

Mark S

We had an AP Fair yesterday after school where our principal was raving on and on about our school (Ardrey Kell). He was also saying how if we take 5 or 6 AP's throughout high school then we'll be able to get into the best colleges. I'm on pace to have 7 or 8. But the part he was stressing a lot, was stress. He always gets complaints of Ardrey Kell putting too much pressure on their students, causing them a lot of stress. But he really he was saying he wants us to take one AP by the end of high school just so we are prepared for college.

Anyway, I went around and got some info about the classes. Computer Science sounded interesting, it's basically a programming class. And of course, macroeconomics is like the major aspects of economy. I didn't get to see US History, rumored to be the hardest AP in all of Ardrey Kell, and after a friend went, he strongly recommended me not to take it. I don't know.

Bingo. They can really stress you out, especially if you have a life outside of school. They are basically college classes and colleges look to see how you handle them. I'd error on the side of caution because I read it could look bad if you dropped one. On the other hand, it could look good if you absolutely nailed them.

As for computer science, that was my major and what I do for a living. I wish I had this class in HS. It's a field that is in very high demand now, so if it interests you, definitely try it out. It will be like learning another language though, so I dont know if I would take Spanish 4 at the same time.

Bingo. They can really stress you out, especially if you have a life outside of school. They are basically college classes and colleges look to see how you handle them. I'd error on the side of caution because I read it could look bad if you dropped one. On the other hand, it could look good if you absolutely nailed them.

As for computer science, that was my major and what I do for a living. I wish I had this class in HS. It's a field that is in very high demand now, so if it interests you, definitely try it out. It will be like learning another language though, so I dont know if I would take Spanish 4 at the same time.

Yeah I agree. Computer Science interests me based on what I know of it.

Today I decided I was definitely not taking Spanish 4.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  I'll admit I have no idea how the admission process works.  I was just giving my two cents based on my experience.  I was simply trying to say that there are multiple things that colleges look at, not just your history of AP classes.

I wasn't telling Mark to not take AP classes.  I took them in high school and I think students should take these classes up to a point.  That point being when it becomes too much to handle and it affects your GPA, your other extracurricular activities, etc.

You are correct that they do look at a lot of things in the admissions process.  However, consistently not taking AP and Honors classes is viewed as not having the academic commitment that most top universities want to see.

Also, it really depends on the type of university and program that you want to attend.  If you are talking top schools and programs like Engineering and Pre Med, they definitely want to see your commitment to challenge yourself academically and to deliver the grades.

Not really sure.

My last two years of engineering school I slept six nights a week most weeks I had class. Because most semesters were 25+ credit hours. It's probably not for you if you don't want your life to revolve around school. You realize how much it consumes you when your lab partner tells you she needs sex but can only allow ten minutes at a weird time and that ten minutes it has to be over

Schools push you to take APs because they get more funding. AP classes are absolute bs and can actually mess you up in college. For example my friend took AP Chem so he got placed in Chem 1B instead of 1A. He not only had a bad foundation because you don't really learn at the same level as college classes, and he missed out on an easy A in Chem 1A. Similarly you'll most likely get credit for GEs in college with your AP classes which are once again easy As compared to your major core classes which will hurt your college GPAs, which is more important than what college you get into.

I recommend only taking the number of APs you can handle and are genuinely interested in. A 3.5 with APs doesn't look better than a 3.8 in normal classes. I'd focus on crushing the SAT instead.

Edit: super pro tip- if you're interested in grad school, I wouldn't necessarily go to the "best" school you get into. college GPA is VERY important for most grad school programs. If you do better than your classmates it's easier for you to stand out, and qualify for summer programs/internships to make your résumé look better.

Today was the day I turned the card in. I decided to drop AP US History today. And I took Biomedical Science instead. I was told that APUSH was all writing and reading, which I hate. I also realized I didn't want to go too in depth with US History. I asked my teachers and they basically said you shouldn't be taking an AP class unless you plan on using them in college or if you are interested in them. That basically set it in stone for me. I had been stressing the entire weekend and I hope I made the right choice. I've been wondering for the entire day if I made the right decision.

I need some perspective on if I made the right decision or not. Thanks again guys.

Today was the day I turned the card in. I decided to drop AP US History today. And I took Biomedical Science instead. I was told that APUSH was all writing and reading, which I hate. I also realized I didn't want to go too in depth with US History. I asked my teachers and they basically said you shouldn't be taking an AP class unless you plan on using them in college or if you are interested in them. That basically set it in stone for me. I had been stressing the entire weekend and I hope I made the right choice. I've been wondering for the entire day if I made the right decision.

I need some perspective on if I made the right decision or not. Thanks again guys.

I wish I knew I listened to people when I was your age. HAVE FUN. Obviously work hard enough to do well enough that you're happy with your grades, but most importantly, have fun; do new things, explore different careers, make lasting relationships. You'll realize 5 years from now, taking an AP/ not taking it really doesn't matter, at all.

In regards to colleges, don't trip. It's all about what you put into it and the connections you make. You can go to Stanford or Chico (I'm from Cali, what would the equivalent be for NC? Duke and something like Coastal Carolina) and be successful/happy/miserable either way.

Edit: I took 5 APs Jr year, and ended up at the same school as one of my classmates that took 2. My roommate took 11 APs. You'll see when you apply that admissions is really random.

Archived