• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Source: Saints having a complete fire sale

RelaxImaPro

Why did they have to trade them?

Come on....say it. You can do it.

Well, Grubbs was awful last year. He's really been underwhelming since signing his contract. He was going to be cut, so getting something for him was actually a positive.

Jimmy was a head scratcher. Apparently, Stills was offered first for Unger, and Jimmys name was brought up. Loomis said everyone would be evaluated, and held true to his word. Not necessarily that they're calling around shopping people, they're just making calls to improve the team, and there's only a couple guys on the roster who are untouchable. The crazy thing is, the move cost us money this year, so It really made it strange.

But to answer your question, obviously the cap is a consideration. But people are also looking at this as if the Saints were successful last year. The Saints sucked last year. This is a team trying to make improvements while also being cap strapped. The Jimmy move hurts, but they seem to have a plan. I'm not gonna say the two little words you're looking for though. ;)

Well, Grubbs was awful last year. He's really been underwhelming since signing his contract. He was going to be cut, so getting something for him was actually a positive.

Jimmy was a head scratcher. Apparently, Stills was offered first for Unger, and Jimmys name was brought up. Loomis said everyone would be evaluated, and held true to his word. Not necessarily that they're calling around shopping people, they're just making calls to improve the team, and there's only a couple guys on the roster who are untouchable. The crazy thing is, the move cost us money this year, so It really made it strange.

But to answer your question, obviously the cap is a consideration. But people are also looking at this as if the Saints were successful last year. The Saints sucked last year. This is a team trying to make improvements while also being cap strapped. The Jimmy move hurts, but they seem to have a plan. I'm not gonna say the two little words you're looking for though. ;)

Meh...

I just wanted you to say the cap was a big part of it. Word is Jimmy wasn't happy after the WR tender. You would think they would try to make him happy instead of getting rid of him. Losing him is going to hurt as he is a top 3 TE in my opinion and still young. I have no idea what your front office is doing.

Meh...

I just wanted you to say the cap was a big part of it. Word is Jimmy wasn't happy after the WR tender. You would think they would try to make him happy instead of getting rid of him. Losing him is going to hurt as he is a top 3 TE in my opinion and still young. I have no idea what your front office is doing.

I've heard rumors that he grumbled about his contract all year. And I've heard there was a strain between he and management and he and Payton. I don't like the move, but if Unger stays healthy and we can scoop up a good WR with one of the first round picks, it may work out. It gives us some cap relief in the future as well. No sense in keeping someone around who isn't happy with who he's working with.

It would be one thing if they got rid of the dead weight that dragged them to that record, but Jimmy Graham and other potential cap casualties are what kept them from having an even higher draft pick..

This is like our 2010 offseason when Richardson infamously started gutting the roster of a 7-9 team in preparation for the lockout. That team ended up going 2-14.

The one saving grace Loomis has is he's getting value for the outgoing players, but what does the draft record look like?

generally, when a team becomes elite enough to challenge for a super bowl, the window is pretty small...maybe 3 or 4 years of you're lucky and it's even tougher now that there's a salary cap.

players lose a step, teams become predictable and lose their edge, players get dropped and can't be replaced etc etc.

The Saints fall really hastened by losing sproles, he was dynamic in that offense and a terror on special teams, maybe that is why they covet cooks so much,...but before that, it was the bounty-gate and that shortened their window even more.

it's smart for them to rebuild while they still have an elite QB because that seems to be the magic bullet that all or most super bowl teams share.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade with Brees for Mariotta.

It would be one thing if they got rid of the dead weight that dragged them to that record, but Jimmy Graham and other potential cap casualties are what kept them from having an even higher draft pick..

This is like our 2010 offseason when Richardson infamously started gutting the roster of a 7-9 team in preparation for the lockout. That team ended up going 2-14.

The one saving grace Loomis has is he's getting value for the outgoing players, but what does the draft record look like?

Like I said, there's been plenty of talk that there was a rift between Jimmy and the organization. And they feel like the offense will produce without him. They don't feel like any single player, other than Drew Brees. is what makes the offense move. If he wasn't happy, and they felt like they were getting decent value, I understand the deal. Right now? I don't like it.

The drafting has been awful in NO. It's part of the reason we're in this situation. The drafting has really been subpar the last few years. I was thinking about it the other day. There are 3 first round picks still on the roster since 2006. Mark Ingram, Cameron Jordan, and Kenny Vacarro. All of those have been drafted in the last 4 years. The drafting must improve.

I think Jimmy took a couple of concussions that went unreported and they took a heavy toll. he's damaged goods is what I'm saying. things like that are supposed to be reported but hey, it's the saints we're talking about.

he was brees' golden goose and he got damaged. I can almost guarantee you they will confer with the Titans to unload Brees to try and get Mariotta. that way they might forgo losing draft picks,

I think Jimmy took a couple of concussions that went unreported and they took a heavy toll. he's damaged goods is what I'm saying. things like that are supposed to be reported but hey, it's the saints we're talking about.

he was brees' golden goose and he got damaged. I can almost guarantee you they will confer with the Titans to unload Brees to try and get Mariotta. that way they might forgo losing draft picks,

This. All of it.

Graham is still young. I have no idea what your front office is doing.

Graham is 29 and on the decline. He wasn't worth the enormous cap hit he was costing the Saints. The OG Grubbs the Saints dealt was another guy not worth his cap hit. Saints replaced those two with:

1. Pro Bowl center that was key cog for one of the teams in Super Bowl on a cheap contract

2. Pro Bowl CB that was key cog for one of the teams in Super Bowl on a cheap contract

3. an extra 1st R pick

4. tons of extra cap space in 2016 to sign even more players

It kinda sucks the Saints are making such smart moves, but they still need to do well in the draft and the rest of FA, both this year and next (ideally, they still need a #3 CB, a #4 CB, upgrades at all LB spots other than Galette, upgrades across the DL other than Cam Jordan, upgrade at OG, and another offensive weapon)

Graham is 29 and on the decline. He wasn't worth the enormous cap hit he was costing the Saints. The OG Grubbs the Saints dealt was another guy not worth his cap hit. Saints replaced those two with:

1. Pro Bowl center that was key cog for one of the teams in Super Bowl on a cheap contract

2. Pro Bowl CB that was key cog for one of the teams in Super Bowl on a cheap contract

3. an extra 1st R pick

4. tons of extra cap space in 2016 to sign even more players

It kinda sucks the Saints are making such smart moves, but they still need to do well in the draft and the rest of FA, both this year and next (ideally, they still need a #3 CB, a #4 CB, upgrades at all LB spots other than Galette, upgrades across the DL other than Cam Jordan, upgrade at OG, and another offensive weapon)

Graham wasn't on the decline. He's going to put up monster numbers in Seattle.

Everything else I agree with.

Archived