• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fear the Walking Dead - Season 1

Hotsauce

I've been reading that while the overall ratings for FTWD are great, it's struggling against itself.  Like it's losing 15% or so a week per episode, and I'm curious if it's just the fact that they didn't do a labor day episode and they are now competing with the NFL?  Considering there is a very long build up (which I am still enjoying), I'm not sure how the common fan is going to keep up?  I think it will do much better on Netflix as people binge watch it.

On to the show, I am really enjoying the play between Maddie and the older dad versus Travis.  Maddie and the other dad (Salazar?) are very much TWD survivors.  They understand there are rules that need to be broken.  Travis is too compassionate and he doesn't realize the reality of the situation.  It's interesting to see how some scenes refer back to moments from TWD, yet the characters have to do something different because there are still some measure of rules and authority in place.

From a character and world building perspective, it's so fascinating.  For those seeking dead zombies everywhere...that won't happen yet.  The FEMA thing was chilling, and reminiscent of Katrina in a way.  How would the federal government respond?  I don't think it's going to go well considering the outbreak...

So who else is still enjoying the show?  Or tolerating, hoping that it get's better?  Sadly, I wrote up a pretty lengthy that got server errored away =(  Maybe you appreciate that =P  Here's a recap that I really agree with, which hit me point for point =)

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/21/9363819/fear-the-walking-dead-episode-4-recap

I will post my commentary and I'll try to stay away from the spoilers.

-I love the world building.  I get that traditional fans of TWD are expecting a ton more zombie carnage at this point.  I mean, we saw some last week!  Daniel wasted it!  So where are they here?  As a geek who wrote TONS of detailed D&D campaign settings with boring things like economies and environments, I am LOVING it!  This week, we get a much deeper look and a much darker tone/turn for the military saviors.

-Travis...I freaking hate how much of a wuss he is!  BUT, he will be redeemed.  He wouldn't get this much face time unless he was going to prove useful to the plot of the season.  I love how he is the everyman.  He still holds to the pre-zombie ways, and tries to convince everyone that it will get better with the help of the authorities.  It's the way most of us act on a day to day basis.  I like how the show puts a light to that passive attitude that has "infected" the 21st century.  It's not the nicest reflection.  Ultimately, I hope that Travis discovers his survivor because it would be really cool.

-Madison would be totally at home in TWD.  She's smart, motivated, and resourceful.  I love her character, but I don't really get her relationship with Travis.  Why wait for him?  I guess he's that good guy she wants to hold on to?  What she does and discovers should be BIG TIME game changers.  I wish she would have done more with it other than drink.

I feel like the show is setting up for it's big set piece finish.  TWD had the CDC, and the big note about choice and survival.  I wonder what FTWD's big note will be.  It will need one, that's for sure.  If they don't do more advancement of the plot soon, they are going to be hard pressed to find folks to watch season two.  I love the world building, and it's getting very interesting, but I want to see what they do with it.  I hate that they were quarantined by the military so quickly.  I also want to know where the rest of the LA area is...

This past weekends episode spoilers ahead. You were warned if you haven't seen it yet.

First off, the ex-wife just up and leaving her son? Yeah, I don't know if I buy that. What is that all about? And of course Nick...let's just put back on the old dead mans clothes again after taking a semi-bath in the pool. Hilarious.

Then we have the time jump. A time jump (9 days no less) that leads us into the only remaining two episodes left. Who's bright idea was it to start new show with only 6 episodes then skip the memorial day weekend showing, then bring it back only to say welp that's all folks! I do not like that crap with TWD either. New season, mid season finale, new season mid season rejuvenation and finally the ultimate post mid season final show finale.

Back to the time jump. What happened? Where did population of 3 million people go? Are they all evacuated? How do you evacuate 3 million people, and to where, in that short amount of time? Are they quarantined? If so, how do you quarantine 3 million people? And again, where? Supposedly the suburban area has a five mile safe zone around them. I don't know.

My first thought when seeing the flashing light was, it's Tobias. But unfortunately Pops ratted them out and the military is doing some shady poo to begin with, makes me think they went out and offed whoever it was.

On the fence was REVLATIONS 21:4 I'm not much of a religious person so I had to go look it up.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Seems like a fitting passage.

And it appears we have met the season 1 villain who seems to be a golf pro just like the Governor in TWD and then calls Travis "Mayor".

50554-The-Walking-Dead-Governor-Golf-HoT

Unless things change soon I have no connection with any of these characters save the El Salvadoran. The rest could get consumed and I wouldn't even care.

The 6yU1EQ3.jpg

The neighbors suicide note to her husband, Patrick. Would explain the empty pill bottle on the table so I went and took this screen cap and translated it to the end of the episode.

Patrick,

If you find this, I'm sorry. If you find this I love you. I saw something today, something that horrified me, at first I thought it was unnatural. I thought it was an aberration but I was wrong. What I saw was prophesied, what I saw was Godly and I think it's over due.

I wish you were here but I'll see you soon. And you will hold me. If you find this I am sorry, if you find this I love you.

This past weekends episode spoilers ahead. You were warned if you haven't seen it yet.

First off, the ex-wife just up and leaving her son? Yeah, I don't know if I buy that. What is that all about? And of course Nick...let's just put back on the old dead mans clothes again after taking a semi-bath in the pool. Hilarious.

Then we have the time jump. A time jump (9 days no less) that leads us into the only remaining two episodes left. Who's bright idea was it to start new show with only 6 episodes then skip the memorial day weekend showing, then bring it back only to say welp that's all folks! I do not like that crap with TWD either. New season, mid season finale, new season mid season rejuvenation and finally the ultimate post mid season final show finale.

Back to the time jump. What happened? Where did population of 3 million people go? Are they all evacuated? How do you evacuate 3 million people, and to where, in that short amount of time? Are they quarantined? If so, how do you quarantine 3 million people? And again, where? Supposedly the suburban area has a five mile safe zone around them. I don't know.

My first thought when seeing the flashing light was, it's Tobias. But unfortunately Pops ratted them out and the military is doing some shady poo to begin with, makes me think they went out and offed whoever it was.

On the fence was REVLATIONS 21:4 I'm not much of a religious person so I had to go look it up.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Seems like a fitting passage.

And it appears we have met the season 1 villain who seems to be a golf pro just like the Governor in TWD and then calls Travis "Mayor".

50554-The-Walking-Dead-Governor-Golf-HoT

Unless things change soon I have no connection with any of these characters save the El Salvadoran. The rest could get consumed and I wouldn't even care.

Man, the note was great.  That was a wonderful, emotional connection to the end of the world, but alas, they did nothing with it.

The Chris' mom leaving, I get to a degree.  I always felt that she wanted Chris as a way to WIN over Travis instead of any real love for him.  She wants to feel important.  It goes with her pretending to be a nurse, the whole thing about "her" patience, why she sells out Nick as an addict, and then goes off to "help" at the government hospital.  She's a greedy, selfish person.  She doesn't like her life, and she's using the apocalypse as an excuse.

I agree that not enough is happening, but again, I'm really enjoying the character study of Travis and Madison along with the world building going on so far.  The allusions to TWD, like the golf thing and "mayor" are pretty interesting.

Yeah, what did happen to the greater LA area?  Isn't that the most densely populated area in the USA?  I think the whole CDC revelation that everyone is a carrier has already been found out here, and that the army/government is systematically committing massive genocide of it's own people in order to control the number of walkers/infected.  That makes sense to me in their given actions.  Keeping the healthy, useful people while taking the sick and near death to special "hospitals."  It's gross, but a really good reason to break away from the idea of structure is good.

The thing I keep remembering is that in Fear the Walking Dead, who are the real walking dead?  Are we the walking dead and we should fear ourselves?  Isn't that where TWD went?  I mean, zombies are pretty easy to handle by season 3, but it's the surviving people that are the most dangerous.  So should we learn to fear ourselves and our most base instincts in times like this?

I'm still a fan, and I'm going to be waiting for all the new episodes UNLESS they let nothing happen at the end of season 1.  But after this episode, there has to be something!

This has been bothering me. Anyone feel like helping decipher?

wGI7Po5.jpg

When reviewing the FEMA X Codes the top code doesn't seem to be a date of any kind only the type. Possibly because it is at a current and present time? And then the code to the right is just additional information. I wonder what that information referring to.

In the United States, a different FEMA marking system is used on searched structures, as follows:

• A single diagonal slash indicates that a search in the building is in progress. This is used to indicate searcher locations and to avoid duplication of the search effort.
  • An X inside a square means "Dangerous - Do Not Enter!"
  • An X with writing around it means "Search Completed", with the time (and the date if appropriate) written above the X, the team conducting the search written to the left side of the X, the results of the search (number of victims removed, number of dead, type of search such as primary or secondary) written below the X, and any additional information noted about the structure to the right of the X.

Btw this was a scene at the very beginning of the episode.

Archived