• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Home Workout Advice Needed

Mark S

You won't build poo running your ass off and doing a bunch of resistance type stuff if you're already skinny. Obviously you have a high metabolism and your body is going to eat any muscle you have if you start busting ass.

Leave the cardio completely out for now, you need those calories for muscle. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and dips. Look into different p90x exercises uses that use nothing but natural body resistance (gravity, balance and body weight).

Once you get on a regimen keep pushing and up the intensity every week.

Eat. Eat. Eat. Protein, peanut butter. Nuts. Chicken and fish. Preferably protein powder. Eat a poo ton.

Once you start to gain keep at it. Getting a little chubby is good when building. Once you're bigger you can add a day of cardio and just maintain the muscle (stop increasing the intensity). You start to lose that little chubbines and the muscle you've built will start to show. Eat a little less but enough to maintain. If it's a clean diet, it's easier to eat what you want and how much. If not you need to watch it, carefully.

Try and get at least some Dumbbells to do sit ups with etc. a pull up bar will do wonders as well. Use chairs, playgrounds, get creative and find things...they're all around just make sure it's safe.

You will only build so much without true weights and weight resistance but you'll be nice and fit for sure. 60 mins 4x a week.

Above all, read into proper FORM. Even a simply push-up. Proper form and working out specific muscles correctly is very very important and can make a huge difference.

Sit ups are a waste of time? Lol. Herschel walker did 3 sets of sit ups and 3 sets of push ups (as many as he could do) and that was his main workout. Keep in mind you are getting Huddle advice. Most of these guys think they are experts but they are far from it. My advice is to just start and keep going and figure out what works for you.

I mean, there is plenty of literature out there stating that most effective abdominal exercises are those that minimize using the hip flexors. Sit-ups are like 80% hip flexors, 10% abdominal muscles, 10% dorsal muscles. The hip flexors place great stress on the spine with a full situp.

Crunches, with knees bent and legs unsupported and a 30-45 degree range of motion is much more effective than a situp.

A quick google search came up with many articles supporting my statements. Some are recent and the earliest I found was from 1950. It has been known for a long time that situps are pretty ineffective and do more harm than good.

Sit ups are a waste of time? Lol. Herschel walker did 3 sets of sit ups and 3 sets of push ups (as many as he could do) and that was his main workout. Keep in mind you are getting Huddle advice. Most of these guys think they are experts but they are far from it. My advice is to just start and keep going and figure out what works for you.

That's a myth. Herschel is all over the uga weightroom leader boards.

And yeah I don't know anything about lifting. Sorry guys.

Do you live within walking/running distance of a park with a playground? If so go there and you can do pullups on the monkey bars. If not find a tree with a low branch and do them there. You can pretty much do pullups anywhere you can get your knees off the ground. This video will give you an idea about the many places you can do pullups. 

Don't try to bulk with protein at age 16. Your endocrine system shouldn't be messed with until you've definitely stopped growing.

Eat. Eat. Eat. Protein, peanut butter. Nuts. Chicken and fish. Preferably protein powder. Eat a poo ton.

I don't know what to take from this lol

Mine was in response to Lumps. Should have quoted, I know.

You can try if you want, but you'll literally be wasting your money. If you've grown a foot in the last year, obviously your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. Throwing protein into the mix will throw everything out of balance. (remember, protein and other "gainer" type products are mere supplements to enhance your nutritional intake)

Honestly, none of us should be saying "do this" or "don't do this." It is your choice to make. Some of us know more than others - some is simple like the fact that pediatricians are trained for 12 and under, not 16 year olds. However, since you asked for advice, my advice is still to do light weights, get the muscle tone, flexibility, stability of your core, and mobility of your joints. Your body will eventually fill in on its own. When that time comes, then that will be the time to determine *how* it fills in.

You can try if you want, but you'll literally be wasting your money. If you've grown a foot in the last year, obviously your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. Throwing protein into the mix will throw everything out of balance. (remember, protein and other "gainer" type products are mere supplements to enhance your nutritional intake)

Honestly, none of us should be saying "do this" or "don't do this." It is your choice to make. Some of us know more than others - some is simple like the fact that pediatricians are trained for 12 and under, not 16 year olds. However, since you asked for advice, my advice is still to do light weights, get the muscle tone, flexibility, stability of your core, and mobility of your joints. Your body will eventually fill in on its own. When that time comes, then that will be the time to determine *how* it fills in.

Gotcha. Good point about the fact I've grown so much so my body is fine with the input. Thanks.

Check out this guy: http://rosstraining.com/blog/

His stuff is legit and he's all about making your own equipment and working out wherever you are.

You're at a size now where your body is a blank canvas. Even if you don't start putting on bulk now, you can start working on your form, fine tuning the way you work out, etc. Another thing I'd add is if you're able, get involved in a combat sport. Jiu Jitsu is great, and wrestling should be offered at your school. There's nothing like a combat sport to toughen you up, build confidence and teach you how to maximize your body's movement. Just something to consider.

I had no idea this guy was 16. My advice was for an adult.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about poo if I were 16. Your body is fine and still growing. Just have fun.

I only read the OP and replied, I had no idea you were 16. Your homornes are all over the place at this point in life. I wouldn't lift at all until your at least 18 but 20 is better. You can mess up a lot of things  at that young...I wouldn't know where to begin.

If you do work out at your age all I can say is eat the poo out of some food.

Archived