• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FIFA raided by Feds, multiple arrests, prob opened into Qatar and Russia World Cups

Ja  Rhule

If either are losing their bid it's gonna be Qatar but I don't see either happening.

There is a better chance an entire boycott would be organized than Russia losing their WC which is gonna be in 3 years.  The Ukraine president is calling for a boycott of it and trying to get big countries in Europe like France and Germany to join him.  He said he is gonna remain persistent until Russia draws troops from his country.  Pretty sure he said that country is in no shape to host an event like the world cup.

I doubt the boycott happens but there's a better chance of it happening than Russia losing their bid.  poo is getting bad in Qatar though.

I wish Qatar would lose their bid.  I would prefer we get it but honestly do not care as long as it is held by a nation with a national team that can at least crack the top eighty or so in the FIFA rankings.  Also want it at the time of year it belongs.

It absolutely will not happen though

Until Blatter comes down, neither will lose their bid.

Only a matter of time. Gotta get his cronies we just arrested to flip against him, like Blazer which apparently started this process long ago.

Reportedly he's afraid to set foot on US soil because he will inevitably meet the same fate.

I love this. All these isolated crooks that have put themselves above everyone else for the past 2 decades are in handcuffs. At the same time the reaction around the world is incredibly interesting to me.

There was a time when American action was viewed as leadership. Now you are seeing people speak out against the Americans for interfering with World Football, a Sport they consider Americans to be a spectator in. There is an attitude of "let us clean up our own house, stay out of it". Which is a farce because we play Football too and the house has been a mess for 20 years.

Then you have those that think the Americans are overzealous to arrest folks in Switzerland. Some are calling us a bigger threat to freedom than the Russians. It's all rhetoric from anti-Americans that are tired of us doing as we wish in International Politics. 

But shouldn't we all be proud of this? The bad guys are in police custody. This is the justice system working. Everybody knows FIFA has been exploiting their control over the biggest sport in the world. A not for profit organization with over 1.5 billion in cash reserves. 

This is one of those times where people around the world should once again recognize the USA for being a leader. This is what we do, kick ass when others are afraid to.

The+usa+this+wasn+t+actually+suppose+to+

Saw a comment that said it's easier for America to rock the FIFA boat because of soccer's status in America.

If Europe ended up with FIFA retaliation, they risk potentially losing the equivalent of the NFL and college football here, while if the US gets sanctions, we just shrug and go back to watching NFL, NBA, MLB and EPL.

Speaking of which, UEFA now calling for a boycott or reschedule of the vote Blatter was supposed to run away with. The problem is each country and federation has equal representation here, which is fair in theory, but also what created this problem in the first place. A nation that needs the corrupt money like Qatar and other poor nations is not going to give up loyalty to Blatter easily.

However, with UEFA, by and large the most important federation in FIFA making threats and calling for change, that will surely carry great influence.

It's true that American politicians would suffer the least from public backlash if our league, players, and national team were removed from FIFA or otherwise unfairly disciplined. 

But let's say American players are blackballed from FIFA sanctioned leagues. That would be an incredible loss of income for them which I can sympathize with. Many many American born players employ themselves internationally. 

But if CONMEBOL and UEFA come out to our defense we have a shot at creating real change. Maybe they were scared to speak out but they will back us now that they smell blood. The problem with getting rid of Sepp Blatter has always been intimidation and isolation. The people voting for him are all in his pocket. 

​I saw some German journalist on twitter said that many UEFA nations are going to back the US in this whole fiasco.  That would be huge for the USA.

Yeah I haven't seen all this backlash KP is referring to, though obviously it's going to be out there.

The same people hating on it wanted this to happen, too, they're just mad we beat them to it. 'MURICA!

Yeah I haven't seen all this backlash KP is referring to, though obviously it's going to be out there.

The same people hating on it wanted this to happen, too, they're just mad we beat them to it. 'MURICA!

​Wonder what this could mean for American soccer.  Gonna be interesting to see what FIFA does now.  If we can get France, England, Germany to join us we can just form our own federation.  Let the Cayman Islands and Trinidad & Tobago fend for themselves.

Another interesting thing to keep up with for my fellow American soccer hipsters.... this could lead to the NASL dying again.  The NASL is the second level on the American soccer pyramid.  Well I'm pretty sure the NASL is partly funded by Traffic Sports.  Traffic Sports is responsible for organizing many international matches in CONCACAF.  Traffic Sports could go down with FIFA.  So then NASL would have no funding and could completely dissolve.  For those who don't know as much well in the NASL has teams like Atlanta Silverbacks, Tampa Bay Rowdies, San Antonio Scorpions, Carolina Railhawks, etc.  These are some of the more prominent clubs in America and all these cities I posted have MLS dreams.  This whole thing is gonna impact American soccer in more ways than one.  The entire second level of our pyramid could dissolve again (PLEASE, GO TO PROMOTION/RELEGATION AMERICA).  So as a supporter I wonder, what could this mean for our very own Charlotte Independence.  We are on the third level of the pyramid.  If the NASL dissolved where are those teams gonna go?  These are good, established clubs.  San Antonio Scorpions have a beautiful stadium.  This is gonna be a mess.

Blatter just said on press conference that he has no involvement in corruption and he has no control over others.  He will not take the blame for what happened.  He's seeking re-election.

This guy...  Just wow...

I hope this dirt bag gets arrested for all the human abuse and death that happened because of FIFA.

Platini is fed up too.  He says if Blatter wins re-election he will begin exploring other options.  Platini says all of UEFA withdrawing from future FIFA competitions is possible if Blatter wins re-election.  This dude is a scum bag.  I almost want to see him win to see the ensuing shitstorms.  If he does it could be like a college football situation.  USA and UEFA begin forming almost an entire new federation, which other top Asian, African and South American teams would surely join.  This could get crazy.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1786/fifa/2015/05/28/12178522/platini-says-uefa-will-meet-next-week-to-discuss-options?ICID=HP_BN_1

Archived