• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for my beloved Panther fan friends

Hawk

​Because of his putrid offensive line and receivers, he has had to run. Cam only runs when receivers aren't open or the pocket completely collapses--which is a lot of times--and the occasional designed run. Wilson's first instinct is to get out of the pocket, even if it's secure, and to either pass from there if his first read is open, or run if it isn't. Point of the post was Cam is a mammoth of a human being, and Wilson is a twig. One is clearly more susceptible to injury than the other.

​I always thought he bailed on the pocket ASAP because he's so short he probably has Brees' problem and can't see over the line.

​So since you're here, let me ask you this. Rank these impending free agents from most important to re-sign to getdafugouttahere.

LT Okung, RG Swezy, QB Wilson, WR Kearse, RB Turbin, DE Scruggs, DT Mebane, DT McDaniel, OLB Irvin, OLB Morgan, ILB Wagner, CB Lane, P Ryan

Pleez and thanx

Wilson, Okung, Sweezy, Wagner, Mebane, Kearse, McDaniel. Maybe Lane, depending on his play and what he demands. They've swapped out that #2 corner rather effectively over the years. Irvin is junk. One might say Morgan if Irvin isn't retained. 

​Because of his putrid offensive line and receivers, he has had to run. Cam only runs when receivers aren't open or the pocket completely collapses--which is a lot of times--and the occasional designed run. Wilson's first instinct is to get out of the pocket, even if it's secure, and to either pass from there if his first read is open, or run if it isn't. Point of the post was Cam is a mammoth of a human being, and Wilson is a twig. One is clearly more susceptible to injury than the other.

So basically, Cam runs more because he has to, but Wilson is more of a run first QB. If you want to say he runs and is smaller than Cam so therefore he's more prone to injuries, I would agree. But don't spin it as Wilson is more of a runner, when by statistics, he's not. 

I don't think either is at an unusually high injury risk. Both are smart and avoid contact. Unless Cam is wanting to lower the boom on someone.

with so much guaranteed money, are you concerned at all about Cam's playing style with regards to longevity etc?

​Yes, I am.

But that goes for almost every huge deal that the Panthers give out.

We have him locked up for his prime, and we have cap hits for the next 6 years that make it to where we can still build.  His cap numbers aren't nearly as bad as many in the later years as many of these QB contracts.

​RG3 will disagree!  Cam obviously plays a very agressive style and he's willing to take the big hit to make the big play, but how long can that last?

​It will last until he gets older and decides that avoiding contact and going down quicker is the smarter move. Most all quarterbacks run less and are more cautious as they age.  But the good thing is that what they lose in running ability and athleticism they make up for with experience and repetition. As he ages he will slow down and become more like other guys.  But he will still have his strength and size bolstered with an expertise in how to play the game from the pocket.  

He has shown he is tough and really in 4 years he has been hurt one time (last year) but he actually missed no games.  I would be more worried about a little guy like Wilson who could get hit and crushed by a linemen.  RGIII is much closer in size to Wilson then he is to Cam.

Wilson, Okung, Sweezy, Wagner, Mebane, Kearse, McDaniel. Maybe Lane, depending on his play and what he demands. They've swapped out that #2 corner rather effectively over the years. Irvin is junk. One might say Morgan if Irvin isn't retained. 

​Wilson, Okung, Wagner, Mebane, Sweezy, McDaniel, Lane, Turbin, Scruggs, Irvin, Morgan, Ryan is my must re-sign to hitdabrickskid. Pretty confident on first 4. After that, <shrug>

​Yes, I am.

But that goes for almost every huge deal that the Panthers give out.

We have him locked up for his prime, and we have cap hits for the next 6 years that make it to where we can still build.  His cap numbers aren't nearly as bad as many in the later years as many of these QB contracts.

​Most of his guaranteed money is paid out over his first 3 years and remember than 2015 was already guaranteed so really what is the likelihood that Cam wont be able to play in 2016 and 2017?  I think that we have front loaded this contract so we aren't crippled for 5  years if he would go down with a serious injury.  Truth is that out of all the quarterbacks in the league I might be least worried about Cam compared to many others from an injury point of view. Event he fact we play on grass can help extend a player's career compared to artificial turf.

​Most of his guaranteed money is paid out over his first 3 years and remember than 2015 was already guaranteed so really what is the likelihood that Cam wont be able to play in 2016 and 2017?  I think that we have front loaded this contract so we aren't crippled for 5  years if he would go down with a serious injury.  Truth is that out of all the quarterbacks in the league I might be least worried about Cam compared to many others from an injury point of view. Event he fact we play on grass can help extend a player's career compared to artificial turf.

​Oh, I agree.  That's why I'm pretty happy with the numbers, and that is a really weird thing for me to say when talking about Panthers contracts.

​Wilson, Okung, Wagner, Mebane, Sweezy, McDaniel, Lane, Turbin, Scruggs, Irvin, Morgan, Ryan is my must re-sign to hitdabrickskid. Pretty confident on first 4. After that, <shrug>

Yeah. Could definitely move Wagner and Mebane up on my list. I think they need to keep Kearse as well, and he'd be higher on my list had they not picked up Jimmy.

​So since you're here, let me ask you this. Rank these impending free agents from most important to re-sign to getdafugouttahere.

LT Okung, RG Swezy, QB Wilson, WR Kearse, RB Turbin, DE Scruggs, DT Mebane, DT McDaniel, OLB Irvin, OLB Morgan, ILB Wagner, CB Lane, P Ryan

Pleez and thanx

​based solely on my opinion:

Wilson, Wagner, Mebane, McDaniel, Scruggs, Sweezy, Okung, Kearse, Turbin, Morgan, Lane, Ryan, Irvin

Wilson is the face of this franchise, Wagner is one of the best ILB's in the league in my opinion.  Mebane, McDaniel, Scruggs and Sweezy are important to get back and I throw the rest into nice to have backs but I think they are replaceable.  Wasn't sure where to put Okung as my opnion of him constantly goes back and forth.

Yeah. Could definitely move Wagner and Mebane up on my list. I think they need to keep Kearse as well, and he'd be higher on my list had they not picked up Jimmy.

​Lol so many guys I missed Kearse. Was gonna put him between McDaniel and Lane. He'd def be higher if teh Jimmay hadn't arrived, I agree

​based solely on my opinion:

Wilson, Wagner, Mebane, McDaniel, Scruggs, Sweezy, Okung, Kearse, Turbin, Morgan, Lane, Ryan, Irvin

Wilson is the face of this franchise, Wagner is one of the best ILB's in the league in my opinion.  Mebane, McDaniel, Scruggs and Sweezy are important to get back and I throw the rest into nice to have backs but I think they are replaceable.  Wasn't sure where to put Okung as my opnion of him constantly goes back and forth.

​I figured Mebane was pretty important to that defense, but wasn't sure about the other D-Linemen. Interesting to hear that about Okung. Is it injury trouble or just can't do the job well? Looks like Irvin will be a Failcon next year if he's that bad. Was Lane the guy that broke his arm and tore his ACL on same play vs. GB?

​I figured Mebane was pretty important to that defense, but wasn't sure about the other D-Linemen. Interesting to hear that about Okung. Is it injury trouble or just can't do the job well? Looks like Irvin will be a Failcon next year if he's that bad. Was Lane the guy that broke his arm and tore his ACL on same play vs. GB?

​I think Mebane is a beast.  I also really like Kearse and I hope he gets more opportunity to show his abilities and if he does, I'm sure he will climb up my list and many others as well.  Okung has just been so inconsistent and the injuries etc.  We are a better team when he is playing for sure.  Irvin has been a bust in my opinion and his attitude sucks.  Lane, I love Lane and the efforts he puts in and yes, that was him with the horrific injury against GB.  I just think he's more replacable than some of the others based on the other guys back there.

Archived