• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stewart/Goodson Early Carries

capfolly

Do you think that mike Goodson should recieve slightly more carries than Jon Stewart for the first maybe 2-3 weeks of the regular season? No I'm not saying goodson has unseated Stewart, cause he hasn't, but I think it may take Stewart some time to get back into NFL shape and i don't think throwing him in full force is a wise decision. Last year he was injured in training camp as well but he was still able to play in the preseason. Goodson played pretty well during the preseason and has shown us that if needed he could pick up some of the slack until Stewart is fully ready.

I hate to say this, but yes, Goodson should get more carries initially until J-Stew can get in shape and figures out how to play with the pain.

I'm starting to think this is like a turf-toe injury. It hurts like hell, though no more real damage is done; it's a matter if the player can play through the pain.

Honestly I've imagined that williams will just be a workhorse with stewart and goodson picking up the scraps. We have to remember we've been watching the preseason, I'm totally fine with goodson in there during preseason and he has earned some touches(through the air). BUT, It's not like williams is going to break down from 15 extra snaps for a few weeks.

I think we will use stewart if we absolutley have to, but if williams can handle the job we can afford to wait.

Goodson is too explosive to not see the field but I think williams will really carry the team until stewart is entirely healed. And watching his teamate get all the touches has got to be great motivation to get healthy.

Honestly I've imagined that williams will just be a workhorse with stewart and goodson picking up the scraps. We have to remember we've been watching the preseason, I'm totally fine with goodson in there during preseason and he has earned some touches(through the air). BUT, It's not like williams is going to break down from 15 extra snaps for a few weeks.

I think we will use stewart if we absolutley have to, but if williams can handle the job we can afford to wait.

Goodson is too explosive to not see the field but I think williams will really carry the team until stewart is entirely healed. And watching his teamate get all the touches has got to be great motivation to get healthy.

i pretty much agree with this but i think we will see goodson in as relief for williams when he is gassed. We dont want to beat him up so bad week one that he has to deal with that until the bye week. but i do believe he will get the lions portion of the caries. I really think j stew should not play week one if there is any doubt he is good, the last thing we want to do is hurt him now.

Always go with the better back. Goodson had a great preseason and should not be discounted, but this season he will be a change of pace back at most and that is how it should be. He needs to prove he has a firm grasp of blocking schemes before he's used for more than that. I would use him out of the backfield as a check down also or in the slot for a quick hitter. In terms of actual carries, he probably shouldn't get any when we have two elite backs like Stewart and Williams on the roster.

In the world of what have you done for me lately, Goodson is at the forefront. By Week 3 of the important games this will not even be a consideration. Stewart is a rare combination of pure speed, agility, and most importantly power. I dare say he is better than Goodson in all three. The only plus that Goodson has on both of our backs would be his ability to catch the ball and DeAngelo is no slouch there. Stewart has work to do.

Archived