• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Please stop

N1kkadeemuz

No it is not. Big run stuffing DT's are not the best way to run a Cover 2. The Cover 2 is built on getting pressure on the QB from your front 4. You must get penetration and pressure from all 4 linemen. The DE pressure from the outside. The DT's must be able to get penetration and collapse the pocket from the middle.

Two run stuffing DT's control the point of attack, but usually let the QB have too much tim....thus, they will pick you apart.

Yeah 1 run stuffer, 1 pass rusher who is also stiff against the run. That's why I said we need to go out a get an eite pass rushing DT to pair with Kemo.

Yeah 1 run stuffer, 1 pass rusher who is also stiff against the run. That's why I said we need to go out a get an eite pass rushing DT to pair with Kemo.

Missed that in your post. We do need a good run stopping DT right now. Not necessarily the massive dude like Kemo. There are guys smaller who are just as effective...and still bring something to the table in the pass rush. That was the one thing that Kemo added nothing at...pass rushing.

The best way to run a cover-2 is with 2 massive DTs. One monster to stuff the run and act like an ancor for the d-line. The other monster for stiff run defense, and an outstanding pass rush. Think DTs Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, when the Jags defense scared even the Colts. Our ancor is gone, and our pass rusher, Lewis, blows. There's really nothing we can do about it this season, but next season I think it's time to go shopping for an elite pass rushing DT.

What is Fox going to do now that our DTs suck? Same thing we did when we had grandpa Bucker = Lewis, and pig farmer Carstens = Hayden. You fire zone blitz as much as you can get away with it and hope for the best. But I think fans will be pissed when we fire zone blitz, because if Peppers reads pass then he will fire forward and then drop back into zone coverage and take away the QBs hot read. And I know a lot of fans hate to see Peppers in pass defense. But omg when it works, you get a sac, or Peppers with the ball in his hands running the other way. Also, with fire-zone blitz, we can blitz Beason/Davis or Beason/Diggs to overload one side, with either Peppers or Brown doing a long cut and blasting though the A gap, depending on which LB combo we send. This will get major pressure, but in preseason ( I kid you not) when we blitzed, our LBs RAN INTO the backs of our defensive linemen. There were WIDE OPEN gaps for the LBs to blitz through and kill the QB. Instead, the LBs slowed down at the line, and literally started bumping into the backs of our defensive lineman. I think I'm thinking of the Miami game. It was so dumb I couldn't believe it. But if we fire-zone blitz properly, no question we will get major pressure on the QB. With the players we have now, I'm dying to see us fire-zone blitz.

I don't know any NFL team that runs a cover 2 Defense w/t one dimensional DT's who can only stuff the run. Henderson and Stroud are huge DT's but are great at stuffing the run and are capable of generating a pass rush. Meeks really doesn't like to blitz but if we can't get pressure wt our front 4 then we might have to. If Meeks decides to blitz he better not run the same crappy blitzes that Trgovac tried to use. Trgovac never disguised his blitzes. He would call the same retarded all out blitzes, not disguise it, and the opposing QB would gash our defense.

I don't know any NFL team that runs a cover 2 Defense w/t one dimensional DT's who can only stuff the run. Henderson and Stroud are huge DT's but are great at stuffing the run and are capable of generating a pass rush. Meeks really doesn't like to blitz but if we can't get pressure wt our front 4 then we might have to. If Meeks decides to blitz he better not run the same crappy blitzes that Trgovac tried to use. Trgovac never disguised his blitzes. He would call the same retarded all out blitzes, not disguise it, and the opposing QB would gash our defense.

I'm not sure why, but people keep thinking that I want the Panthers to use 2 run stuffing DTs. That's not the impression I was trying to give with my post. I'd like for us to pair Kemo with a DT like Jenkins, except without the bad attitude. Jenkins was good against the run, but he also had a great pass rush in his prime. Look at the burst Jenkins had off the line when we played the Cowboys in the playoffs. We don't have anything like that now, we have 'I'll get there sooner or later' Lewis. When Lewis sacked Warner in the playoffs, I almost fell off my chair. I had become so accustomed to him doing nothing. We need pass rush help for sure.

The best way to run a cover-2 is with 2 massive DTs. One monster to stuff the run and act like an ancor for the d-line. The other monster for stiff run defense, and an outstanding pass rush. Think DTs Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, when the Jags defense scared even the Colts. Our ancor is gone, and our pass rusher, Lewis, blows. There's really nothing we can do about it this season, but next season I think it's time to go shopping for an elite pass rushing DT.

What is Fox going to do now that our DTs suck? Same thing we did when we had grandpa Bucker = Lewis, and pig farmer Carstens = Hayden. You fire zone blitz as much as you can get away with it and hope for the best. But I think fans will be pissed when we fire zone blitz, because if Peppers reads pass then he will fire forward and then drop back into zone coverage and take away the QBs hot read. And I know a lot of fans hate to see Peppers in pass defense. But omg when it works, you get a sac, or Peppers with the ball in his hands running the other way. Also, with fire-zone blitz, we can blitz Beason/Davis or Beason/Diggs to overload one side, with either Peppers or Brown doing a long cut and blasting though the A gap, depending on which LB combo we send. This will get major pressure, but in preseason ( I kid you not) when we blitzed, our LBs RAN INTO the backs of our defensive linemen. There were WIDE OPEN gaps for the LBs to blitz through and kill the QB. Instead, the LBs slowed down at the line, and literally started bumping into the backs of our defensive lineman. I think I'm thinking of the Miami game. It was so dumb I couldn't believe it. But if we fire-zone blitz properly, no question we will get major pressure on the QB. With the players we have now, I'm dying to see us fire-zone blitz.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are not understanding your post. +Rep

I completely agree except I don't think Kemo is the answer. While he is that run stuffing DT, we need someone who is able to not only take up two defenders but also push them back. He's good but just not on the same level as other NT in the league.

I am actually being very causiouly optimistic about the two new DTs on this team. I think Harris could become a really good NT and Lenord, well, I'm not sure how good he could be but it wouldn't take much to be better than Lewis. Add in Irvin's potentiel and we are looking good right now at DT for the future. The problem is the complete lack of experience for this season. If Fox and Meeks can replecate what they did in 05 with Buckner and Carstens using the philosiphy who talked about then the DT position the Panthers found themselves in this preseason could end up being a blessing down the road.

Archived