• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Hurney have the guts to do what Belichick does?

Jangler

Year after year Belichick trades players away (ie Seymour) and still the team is one of the best. And players still want to go there and play (ie Peppers) Can Hurney throw away the loyalty and start doing this? Or are the Panthers always going to hold on to players a year or two (or three) too long??

In order for that strategy to work, you need the throngs of a**hole players desperate to join a Super Bowl contender. And in order to get those players lining up, you need a few Super Bowl titles, not going down in a flaming sh*tf**k like we did in the playoffs last year. That's not exactly establishing street cred with the twilight players aching for a ring.

We could trade our stars, sure. But the Panthers are an afterthought for big name free agents, so we could never do well to replace them.

We have Beason because of how disloyal teams like the Patriots are to players, I think it's more important to have people want to play for us even though we don't have the history the Pats do over the past decade.

Think of it like this, the only reason the Patriots' formula works is because they have been successful, but they were successful before that formula ever really had to be tested. It was just easier for them to maintain that success.

Smoking hard today are we?

:D :cheers2:

He doesn't even have the balls to scratch his own balls when they itch.......answer=NO.

Justa question I was wondering about. I think loyalty is very important as others have already pointed out. But when does it hurt? Has it hurt us with Peppers? I guess that is something we will find out together. Also makes me wonder about the Richardson boys, and is the Peppers situation the reason they are out?

i think he can......but i believe foxy and the big kat are more to the loyalty thing than him. i really think marty is ready to win the big game....

Really? You think Hurney is the one dying to win a championship and JR and Fox are too concerned with loyalty?

If anything Hurney is the one that forces the issue of holding onto players. Not only is Hurney the one incharge of the cap, contracts and the draft, being that he is Fox's boss he also has a say in final roster moves and cuts. If you think that Fox has that much power you are wrong. Their lack of power is exactly why so many coaches want to have GM responsiblities on top of their coaching responsiblities.

And to answer the original question, no. But their is a big difference in the circumstances. Hurney, or Fox for that matter, have the job security that Belichick has in New England. I don't even think Belichick would have been able to make some of the moves he has made even after winning one championship. When you have the amount of success that he has had no one is really going to question you and if you do in up wrong, you are not going to get fired for it. Hurney just doesn't have that type of job security nor should he.

It's not just about how great the player is. They've let good players with year(s) left go scot free like Samuel and Vinatieri & Law. It's about value for the dollar and the future of the team. Just for one scenario that may have played into this decision (you never know exactly what they are thinking of course): look at what it would cost to franchise Seymour as a DE vs what it would take to franchise Wilfork as a DT (I think that's how NTs are franchised). Who is younger? What position is it harder to find a great one of in their opinion, a NT or a 5 tech? Who has the extensive injury history? Plus one has to look at the signability. Seymour is infinitely less signable for the Pats than Wilfork is. Bye Seymour.

Archived