• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Curious Case of Cam Newton

Darknight

People forgot Cam put up over 4000+ yards passing his rookie year when he had Steve Smith.  I think Cam is playing QB the way the position was meant to be played and I hope more athletic guys play the position.  I don't think the QB position is competitive enough due to the lack of athletic ability of those who plays it. Cam is just a breath of fresh air. I don't give damn about a QB throwing the football 50 times and accumulating 350 yards.  

Great video and analysis.

What a lot of people don't realize is that if, say, a "true pocket passer" had Cam's passing numbers, that team is in trouble. If Brees has those numbers, the Saints aren't winning consistently. It's not a knock on Cam. The fact that this offense operates as well as it does is a testament to Cam's effect on this team. If DA was in and putting up the passing numbers Cam is, we're struggling a bit. But Cam's athleticism bails this offense out, and Cam's sheer dominance causes teams to play more cautiously on defense. Have to respect the guy's legs and ability to make a play when there isn't one. Most "experts" look at the numbers because, before 2011, you could gauge basically any QB on those numbers. Since Cam came into the league though, the numbers don't work to really pinpoint how good a QB like him is.

As far as Cam's mental ability, I get giddy when I see him clearly audible at the line, because it almost always turns into a solid gain. Whether it's a 4 yard run because he sees the running lane for Stew or if it's a beautiful bootleg where Cam turns wide open on the weakside, or if it's a big play down the field. When Cam audibles like crazy, it usually leads to good things happening for us if the OL executes the play.

We have a very special QB and I only wish people everywhere realized that they're witnessing greatness building here. If Funchess continues his upward trend into next season....oh man. This offense will be as terrifying as it is unique. We're literally playing a brand of football that most thought was dead. And if you've been paying attention...a lot of teams are trying to follow suit with at least trying to build strong running games....

@Lightsout

The only reason Cam's been running as much this year so far, is cause the "traditional" running game sucks on it's own. Remember, earlier in the year when everyone was saying "this OL pass blocks better than it run blocks"? Well, that's only cause Cam got more involved.

If Tolbert and Stewart were more consistent running the ball, I would like to think Cam wouldn't be running it as much.

Cam's advancing as a total QB to such a degree, it wouldn't make any sense to keep having him run for so many 1st downs/short yardage and goal line drives. As I said earlier: He's reduced his hits with sacks, so why have him take more running hard yards? That makes no sense to me.

Tolbert and Stewart need to earn their money as well.

Archived