• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Forced TO before play clock expired

ACobra289

I’m sure this was probably discussed in the game day thread, but what was that BS with forcing us to take a timeout because the ref was standing over the ball with the play clock about to run out? Luckily in that game wasting a TO was no big deal, but next time it might be.

I realize that sometimes the play clock doesn’t get reset when it should, but the refs have to recognize that and correct the situation. As Cam was pleading his case they were basically like “fug you, we don’t care if it’s our mistake that you couldn’t snap the ball.”

Maybe I'm off base and totally misread the situation, but that’s what it looked like to me.

We subbed late so the refs stand over the ball to prevent the snap in order to allow Arizona the opportunity to sub as well. Happened in another game at the end of the year. I want to say it was against the Bucs. It's the right call.

Clarification: The time it happened previously we were trying to run a hurry up play to snap it after a long questionable catch(Philly I think) so the other team couldn't challenge but we had subbed so the other team subbed as well and it gave them time to check the replay. Cam was hot about that too, but it was the right call then as well.

We weren't really doing a hurry-up because the play clock ran all the way out.  The frustrating thing is that Arizona seemed to be intentionally delaying their substitution to run our play clock down.  The officials are supposed to give a "reasonable amount of time" for the defense to substitute, but Arizona had guys jogging on and off and back on looking like they didn't know who was supposed to be on the field, which was probably intentional.  It seemed to take more than 10 seconds off the play clock, and that is way too long for a "reasonable" substitution.

Archived