• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Viewing The Game If Power Goes Out

pamlicopanther

Just now, pamlicopanther said:

I could do that if necessary.  I just have this fear of the game going into the 2nd quarter and suddenly power is knocked out and I then have to load up and go somewhere else.  I would then miss a lot of it.

Oh I know..but I'll try to risk catching a ticket to find somewhere thats open..LOL..

1 minute ago, pantherfan49 said:

Thanks a lot for bringing up the possibility.  I've now got my generator on standby in Raleigh where it has been sleeting for at least an hour.

So you guys have the ice possibility?  That can get ugly quick.

Bad time for weather issues, but we can't control the weather.

1 hour ago, pamlicopanther said:

That is my concern - How long will the battery hold up.  I have 2 phones I can use.  So if one dies I can use the second.

Power inverters are pretty cheap.  You plug them into the accessory outlet (aka old cigarette lighter) in your car and then you have a power strip in which you can charge devices.   I got one when I lived in Florida as part of my hurricane emergency supplies.  Great little life saver to keep laptops & cell phones charged during several day power outages....

I bought mine at Radio Shack back in the day (about 15 years ago), maybe $25.  I assume Best Buy, Lowes, or Home Depot would sell them....

3 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Power inverters are pretty cheap.  You plug them into the accessory outlet (aka old cigarette lighter) in your car and then you have a power strip in which you can charge devices.   I got one when I lived in Florida as part of my hurricane emergency supplies.  Great little life saver to keep laptops & cell phones charged during several day power outages....

I bought mine at Radio Shack back in the day (about 15 years ago), maybe $25.  I assume Best Buy, Lowes, or Home Depot would sell them....

Actually I have one of those.  I got it for hurricane emergencies too.  I will get it going if I need to.  Thanks for bringing that up.  I had not thought of using it.

22 minutes ago, pamlicopanther said:

So you guys have the ice possibility?  That can get ugly quick.

Bad time for weather issues, but we can't control the weather.

We've had constant sleet the past hour and a half or so.  Maybe longer.  I don't expect it to cause us problems but you never know.

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

I'd call some neighbors and see what there plans are.  If a few head in different directions then you'd know which bar is the best bet if it comes to that.

for home, the power inverter is about the best idea.  Don't forget about hunting down an UPS battery to plug the laptops into if you need to rotate them though as well.   You could even power the tv for a bit and hope that it comes back online within 15 minutes if you have an OTA ant hooked up.

I didn't want to deal with this scenario so I bought a solar panel, charge controller, some speaker wire, and 2 UPS batteries that connect to an inverter via terminals.  Once that thing charges up you don't have to worry about short term power outages as you can get enough juice to laptops, tablets and phones for a long time without using the car.

Yikes.  Maybe posting in this thread was bad luck for me.  Power cuts are pretty common here in my West African city..., but the power situation has been pretty good the past few weeks.  Problems are usually worse in summer when folks are running A/C and overloading the grid.  Didn't think there'd be a problem tonight. BUT... Lost power here about 10 minutes ago.  Fortunately, we have a battery back up system in our office (where I'm watching the game tonight, via laptop).  Should last 4 hours.  Keeps our wifi running...  I assume the power will be back on before the game.  Most outtages are < 2 - 3 hours.  But still, a hassle.

Gonna sign off for a while.

Archived