• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Fox where have you gone?

cgarsmoker

This article was written 8/20/2002

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/trainingcamp02/s/2002/0820/1420531.html

Here's a rundown of how these new coaches have been received in their new cities.

John Fox, Carolina Panthers

Fox, whose energetic, hands-on approach is dramatically different from that of his predecessor, George Seifert, has made all the right moves in an effort to revitalize both the Panthers' players and fans. Unlike Seifert, who kept much more to himself, Fox seems to enjoy pressing the flesh. He has spent more time with his troops, often showing up in the lunchroom and sitting with different players on different days, and has seemed to relish signing autographs and schmoozing with fans with the aplomb of a confident used-car salesman. At the same time, though, Fox has shown a tough side. His practices, always conducted in the heat of the day, are much more demanding than those of the previous regime, and he has made it clear that he won't stand for anything less than completely focused efforts. Fox's players have reacted very positively to his intense, no-nonsense methods.

Or how about this.....on 9/27/2002

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1437610.html

Panthers players seem to have a new confidence. Much of it revolves around the belief that they possess in the coaching staff.

"These guys are meticulous, detail-oriented, and they have us prepared for just about anything," safety Mike Minter said. "We know we don't have the best talent in the league. But the way we play, we can keep games close and, if we get into the fourth quarter with a chance to win, we feel we'll get our share of (victories). It's a pretty nice feeling. Confidence is contagious and it flows pretty good from this staff."

So credit Fox, who might merit coach of the year consideration even if the Panthers don't win another game the rest of the season, for re-energizing the franchise. And credit him even more for being sage enough to surround himself with good people, delegating authority well and concerning himself more with results than ego.

It sure doesn't sound much like our coach anymore does it? Be warned....if you read those old articles it's going to make you very, very, sad about our team now.

actually, that sounds like our guy.......and I am a Fox "hater".

You've got me puzzled on this one. The articles call our coach "energizing, intense, not standing for anything less than completely focused efforts, meticulous, detail-oriented, and prepared for just about anything, and finally...delegating authority well and concerning himself more with results than ego."

I don't think any of those things would be used to describe John Fox right now.

You've got me puzzled on this one. The articles call our coach "energizing, intense, not standing for anything less than completely focused efforts, meticulous, detail-oriented, and prepared for just about anything, and finally...delegating authority well and concerning himself more with results than ego."

I don't think any of those things would be used to describe John Fox right now.

I still see him in all those ways.

I think Fox is still the same coach he was when he first got here, but that may be the problem. It seems like his coaching stratagies have just grown stale. The players don't seem as motivated and he has become too loyal to a couple guys that have really produced in the past. Other coaches have figured out his coaching style and exploit it's weaknesses. Dom Capers was a good coach (we made the NFC championship game in year 2), but the same thing happened to him. I have always been a Fox supporter, and I still think he is a good coach. However, sometimes you just have to move on to keep things fresh. I would like to see the full season played out before that call is made, though.

complacency killed the fox.

"it is what it is" is what happened.

he was a great coach.

he is not that same coach. he lost his way. until he shows that he can have the same affect on the players as he did when he first showed up, i won't believe it.

i do think the old coach is in there somewhere but it got covered up.

complacency killed the fox.

"it is what it is" is what happened.

he was a great coach.

he is not that same coach. he lost his way. until he shows that he can have the same affect on the players as he did when he first showed up, i won't believe it.

i do think the old coach is in there somewhere but it got covered up.

Exactly.. now richardson needs to see that and get some new blood.

Archived