• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Safeties

ncfan

Another Huge need here.  They have been a huge problem with our pass coverage this year.

Good thing this class is Stacked at the top for Safeties.  Everyone knows the name Jabril Peppers but he may be the 3rd best safety in this draft.

Jamal Adams

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/top-nfl-draft-prospects-lsus-jamal-adams-is-honey-badger-2-0/

Great instincts, not afraid to hit someone, great in pass coverage.

Malik Hooker

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000720392/article/nfl-scout-sees-ed-reed-as-good-comp-for-ohio-state-safety

Some scouts are saying he's the best Safety prospects to come out since Eric Berry

3 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Jabril is the best safety in the draft easily

Thats what I thought to,  but reading in and watching.  Many scouts have him the 3rd best.  Still a great player just the other 2 are just thay good

On 10/18/2016 at 11:50 AM, stbugs said:

Peppers has 0 interceptions in his career so far. I am not 100% sold on him in pass coverage and that is where our safety need is the most. Torrey Smith got a TD because Boston wasn't where he was supposed to be when Bradberry let him go to the safety. We've gotten roasted at safety worse (except for Bene) than CB IMHO because let's be honest, Teddy WIlliams and Zach Sanchez is not what we planned to be playing against Brees. Coleman and Boston absolutely were our planned starters at safety. I can point to some solid CB play out of Bradberry and Worley and point to their injuries and McClain's as a reason for CB bad play. I can't point to any reason why our safeties have sucked.

I'd be OK with Hooker in the first, but if not him, I'd rather wait until the top of the 2nd for safety. Check out this list: http://walterfootball.com/draft2017S.php

I think starting with Maye and Evans with Smithson at the top of the 3rd, there are solid safeties to go after so you can try and get the top DE (I'd be OK with losses if it ended up with getting Garrett) or OT. There are some good CBs as well, but man, I'd rather get DE and S help and let Bradberry and Worley progress.

Jalen Ramsey had no interceptions his last year at FSU, looking great for the Jags.  J-No had like no INT's the last 10 games last year.  Jabrill probably doesn't have any INT's because other teams don't even bother throwing his way

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Ramsey did have 3 INTs in his first two years. Not a lot, but more than 0. Same with Norman, he had 4 INTs early in the year. That said, don't get me wrong, he's a talented player and a 1st round pick. I was more agreeing that I'd seen him ranked 3rd as well.

I think some people are forgetting when they dont see the ints, that he is playing LB this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Jamal Adams is the best safety in the draft. he has shown the ability to play around the LOS and on a hash in a 2 high look. has the ability to play single high as well. had a huge play last night, where he read the QB and picked off an error ball on the 1st series. 

2 hours ago, DaCityKats said:

Jamal Adams is the best safety in the draft. he has shown the ability to play around the LOS and on a hash in a 2 high look. has the ability to play single high as well. had a huge play last night, where he read the QB and picked off an error ball on the 1st series. 

Agree 100%

I wanted him before last night, now I want him even more and I admit I didn't realize that Adams called the defensive plays for LSU until the announcers mentioned that. Our defense is missing that All-World SS like Adams, Coleman can then slide back to FS.

Now, is DE a bigger need than S. Yes it is, and that's why we need to take the best DE Available in the 2nd and possibly double dip.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:45 PM, ncfan said:

Another Huge need here.  They have been a huge problem with our pass coverage this year.

Good thing this class is Stacked at the top for Safeties.  Everyone knows the name Jabril Peppers but he may be the 3rd best safety in this draft.

Jamal Adams

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/top-nfl-draft-prospects-lsus-jamal-adams-is-honey-badger-2-0/

Great instincts, not afraid to hit someone, great in pass coverage.

Malik Hooker

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000720392/article/nfl-scout-sees-ed-reed-as-good-comp-for-ohio-state-safety

Some scouts are saying he's the best Safety prospects to come out since Eric Berry

Yes, please. Either. Both. Don't care, just want talent at safety for once ever.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:38 PM, PantherBuckeye89 said:

Our defense is missing that All-World SS like Adams, Coleman can then slide back to FS.

Now, is DE a bigger need than S. Yes it is, and that's why we need to take the best DE Available in the 2nd and possibly double dip.

I'd say DE and Saftey is about 1a and 1b.  both are terrible.  If you could get Ealy to show up he could be a stud.  And it will be a contract year for him next year.  you could get a better FA DE next year than a safety.

Boston has been terrible! Coleman has looked bad over at SS compared to a probowler at FS last year.

Outside of Garrett I am not impressed with the 1st rd DEs this year.  Meanwhile the Safeties are Stacked with 3 guys who would be top 5-10 about any other draft.  BPA you could get a potential probowl vs average potentional starter.

Adams in our defense now would be a game changer

7 hours ago, ncfan said:

I'd say DE and Saftey is about 1a and 1b.  both are terrible.  If you could get Ealy to show up he could be a stud.  And it will be a contract year for him next year.  you could get a better FA DE next year than a safety.

Boston has been terrible! Coleman has looked bad over at SS compared to a probowler at FS last year.

Outside of Garrett I am not impressed with the 1st rd DEs this year.  Meanwhile the Safeties are Stacked with 3 guys who would be top 5-10 about any other draft.  BPA you could get a potential probowl vs average potentional starter.

Adams in our defense now would be a game changer

Agreed that its 1a and 1b. First off, Kong frustrates me. When he is on he is a top tier starter with all the traits of an every down DE. But his play is inconsistent and its his 3rd year. Hardy blossomed in his 3rd year and CJ shined as a rotational guy due to Fox's hard on for Tyler Brayton and trying to plug Everette Brown(SMFH) in. That being said, Early should be the starter followed by CJ because CJ has lost a step. And I don't want him back. I want Addison back but he is a situational guy and that's needed.

With that being said, the FA DE class sucks and like you I'm only impressed by Garrett out of the 1st rounders. And we aren't picking that high. But in the second I like DeMarcus Walker and if he declares TyQuan Lewis. Walker is shorter for a DE but so is CJ. 

That leads me to Jamal Adams. The guy is physical, fast, hits like a LB, can cover the middle, calls the defensive plays from Safety, and is a leader. Game changer. So if the draft was tomorrow, I'm picking Adams 1st and Walker 2nd. I'm probably grabbing a situational DE like Smooth from Illinois in the middle rounds if he is available as well. Though I like LT Chad Banner in the 3rd as well. 

Which brings up FA. I'd rather address our needs at OT and CB there. I don't think we will get rid of Oher and I love Darryl Williams at RT, but I'd cut Oher if we could land Matt Kalil. I know he has underperformed, but with his brother and our staff/locker room he could fulfill his potential. Take some late round Guards to coach up as a replacement for either Norwell or Turner because we aren't keeping both.

Jamal Adams is the guy I want #1 right now.  He reminds me a tad of Luke at the safety spot.  A leader, good instincts, etc

Him calling the plays from the safety spot shows it all. Kid knows the game.  I always complained about Harper being slow but the dude was rarely out of position and not afraid of Contact.  Coleman showed he's a solid FS last year being 2nd in the league in ints.  His switch to SS has made him look pedestrian.  Boston is always out of position and looks lost at FS.  Having safeties who are rather hesitant tacklers is bad ju-ju for the D.  Zod has had threads more than twice this season showing RBs just running through weak arm tackles all season.

Big hitter

Good Instincts and rarely out of position.

Leader, huge to help QB this young group of DBs

Good Athlete

Good Hands

Kid is the difference maker we need.  

Archived