• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers DE Solution: Horton on RDE, CJ and Ealy Rotated at LDE

Saca312

21 hours ago, HardcoreDefense said:

That's what I'm thinking. These guys are coaches in the NFL and spend countless of hours watching film. How are they just noticing this?

This is a good question...

I'm guessing it was due largely to loyalty to both CJ and Ealy.  You assume they are your two "starters" and you want to honor them as such, and so it makes sense that they "must" play opposite each other.   When you've got these starting designations stuck in your mind perhaps it blinds you to the reality that Ealy is better on the left and that BOTH CJ and Ealy seem to play better with fewer snaps.

But if both guys are willing to be humble and compromise and do what's best for the team, splitting their playing time mostly on the left side makes a LOT of sense. 

I know last year I was throwing around a lot of stats to "disprove" the "Ron shows loyalty to vets and doesn't give rookies enough of a chance meme" ... but in THIS case (slightly different, doesn't involve rookies vs vets) I would very definitely agree with various Huddlers who might criticize Ron for sometimes being too loyal to guys, letting that loyalty get in the way of hard decisions.   I think this was such an instance.

21 hours ago, The Question said:

Who's spelling Horton at the right end? Addison?

If so I like this move.

Yes, Horton / Addison on the right.

I like this alot.  Addison really is one of our best pass rushers, and Horton is solid against the run, so this seems to be a good rotation.  Hopefully it will continue to be.  I'm actually liking that we brought Horton back.  His experience with the team seems to have solidified something, helped the Dline get back into a good rhythm.

17 hours ago, Yaboychris28 said:

Wes Horton isn't good at all. Hes been on the squad a few years now and I cant remember him having 1 sack. 

He's probably top 20 in the league for run stopping DE.  He just doesn't get after the passer well.  But when your LBers are having to play pass because your back 4 sucks so bad, playing Horton allows you to shore up the run D. 

On 11/2/2016 at 6:26 PM, KillerKat said:

That kind of doesn't sit well with me. It didn't take a whole lot of effort to see this change needed to be made. If its that hard for them, maybe we just need some staff that does nothing but evaluate and bring suggestions to the coaches.

Yea I agree. Personally I think they have been seeing it for a while but waited to pull the trigger, for whatever reason. The coaches not having the time or being too over worked to notice it doesn't make much sense at all to me. They are staffed with coach after coach and staffers, quality control, interns, etc. Don't believe they missed it, just waited to make the move. 

Archived