• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Centers

ncfan

This may be the year for us to grab one in the 3rd or 4th.

I think this is going to be the deepest Center draft at the top the last couple years.  There is no Ryan Kelly but a handful of potential good players.  Kalil, we dont know when he could hang it up, it could be anyday.  Kalil has faced a couple of injuries here recently the last 2 years.  We need that guy to kearn from him and get groomed so when he steps in the OL doesnt take a Huge step back when its leader hangs it up.

4 guys to look at

Ethan Pocic (LSU)- leader of that LSU OL that has opened up the way for Fournette.  Big Long athletic guy who is great making blocks all the way down the field.

Pat Elfien (ohio state)- my favorite.powerful agressive OL, Great locker room guy (reminds me a ton of Norwell).  Played OG until this season.  not long enough/short arms to play OG in the NFL.  moved over to Center this season and has looked good.

Mason Cole (Michigan)- former LT for Michigan.  

Tyler Orlosky (West Virginia)

if we do get one of those guys I'll be ok with it...We have more glaring needs that have to be fixed immediately.  However, Ryan is such good friends with Jordan Gross, and Jordan retired while he could have played more seasons, but he left healthy.  While Ryan could play 3 or 4 more seasons, he may choose to retire healthy.

Having a good center prospect to learn from him for a year or two is a positive thing for our o line in the future.

2 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

if we do get one of those guys I'll be ok with it...We have more glaring needs that have to be fixed immediately.  However, Ryan is such good friends with Jordan Gross, and Jordan retired while he could have played more seasons, but he left healthy.  While Ryan could play 3 or 4 more seasons, he may choose to retire healthy.

Having a good center prospect to learn from him for a year or two is a positive thing for our o line in the future.

We have a few other Big needs

but I look at the Center position as the MLB/Luke of the OL.  Most great QBs for some reason are always under center of a great Center.  See Saturday with Manning, see the dude in Seattle that's with the saints now.  When he got traded that OL fell apart and the whole offense took a hit. 

We are going to Solidify the interior OL by attempting to resign Turner and Norwell.  Kalil could retire this year, next year, or 2+ years.  But when he does we don't want a Hige hole at that position with no one lined up behind.  Would be like losing Gross except a little bigger.

I doubt we'd get a big starter in the 3rd or 4th so having a top level Center to land there would be huge.

Try to prevent taking a big step backwards as we are trying to go forward. Remember there were many who wanted us to get Ryan Kelly just this past draft.  And our staff was high on him. 

it's a need for sure....it's all a matter of where you rank our needs in the next draft, and who is available.  

For example, we nearly drafted Hunter Henry last year in the first.  We feel the need for a TE to complement and eventually replace Greg.  This year, there appears to be a very short list of prime targets at TE.... Howard, Butt, and Engram.  If we want one of those guys, we're going to have to get them in first 2-3 rounds.

But there is no denying we need immediate and long term help at OT, DE, and S.  We need help at CB, TE, RB, C and LB.  I understand your want for a long term center, and I agree, but we just can't get everything we want in the next, or any, draft.

If we take one, I'll be happy. If we don't, I'll understand.

Archived