• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF Free Agents and their rankings

Ricky Spanish

This may have been posted elsewhere but I saw that Voth had some quotes from some panther free agents: http://blackandbluereview.com/quotes-to-note-panthers-2017-free-agents/

Most of it is very level-headed and doesn't give too much info but paired with their relative performance, skill and position, I think there are hints and maybe affirmation about what the plays expect or want.

I think KK thinks he is getting the tag - which I take as him knowing that he and his agent are expecting top dollar and DG isn't "going there".

I think Ginn, Remmers, Big Money, and Leonard Johnson have reasonable expectations about how in-demand their services are and would happy to be back with a contract.

Mario knows he balled out and is the best DE on the team. He wants money and the recognition that comes with it.

Klein's reply seems different from the others. I think he is gone whether its to go start somewhere or to be a part of a team he thinks is better.

According to Over the Cap only around 7-8 teams at any given time from now into the next 3 years have more cap space than the Panthers. In 2017 they will basically be 54 million under the cap. This is with stars like Newton, Keuchly, Davis, Olsen already under contract. Teams ahead of us namely the Bucs, Titans, Redskins are either going to have to negotiate a new contract for their QB this offseason (Cousins), or calculate the room they need to sign Mariota and Winston in the future. That's a big expenditure and was a primary reason for the Panthers cap issues over the last few years. It is a reason no more…So the following is a Gettlemen to do list:

1. Tag Short or get a long term deal in place.

2. Sign JPP (His last contract was 1 year $10 million). He produced 7 sacks and 53 tackles. That would have been second on our team after Addison. If you can get him for a couple years at $7-10 million per year then I'd do it. Give him $8 mil a year and let him save the difference in NC/NYC income tax. 

3. Sign Eric Berry (He's played both SS and FS) - The Chiefs are currently only $4 mil under the cap (28th overall). IMO I think they will have to make a decision on Berry and Dontari Poe. I think they go with Poe. They currently have Houston, Alex Smith, Fisher, Tamba Hali signed to big contracts. They will likely have to tag Poe AND maybe cut Jamaal Charles just to keep Poe. I don't think there is any way they are able to keep Eric Berry with that cap situation unless he takes a big hometown discount. They also have to consider they will likely have a huge contract on the horizon for Marcus Peters in the next 1-2 years. He's one of the best 2-3 CBs in the league. I see him holding out sooner than later. 

4. Sign Matt Kalil. He's going to come relatively cheap. Put him on a line with his brother and a QB who can actually move a little bit and maybe he'll be a better player. Worth the risk for the possible benefit. Even if you decide to draft an OT with your 1st round pick…having Oher and Kalil on the roster IMO is necessary. It's unlikely that all 3 of those players will come out of training camp healthy. Let the 3-4 best tackles compete for the two starting jobs and go from there. 

4. Draft BPA. The offense at the top of this draft with Fournette, Cook, Robinson, McGlinchey would immediately help us win games. The offensive line was atrocious this year. But part of that is due to the array of injuries we had. Kalil will be back. Gettlemen will hopefully fix the LT problem. Personally, I hope the pick is Fournette or Cook and we re-establish what we have always done best with Cam which is control the clock and run the ball effectively. If we fail to sign an impact safety in free agency then drafting Jamal Adams would be fine with me as I think he is likely the next Earl Thomas, Eric Berry type safety if he has Luke and Shaq playing in front of him. 

So that's my amateur opinion in a nutshell. It'll be interesting to see what the "Cam Evolution" brings as far as offensive game plan. It seems like it's a huge switch to try and "get the ball out quick" and "roll him out" when all Shula has done since he's been here is drop back and heave it down the sideline or run the read option. Outside of Olsen and Ginn do we have receivers who get open quickly? Is that really what Funchess and Benjamin do? Guess all of that will be answered in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, imminent rogaine said:

This may have been posted elsewhere but I saw that Voth had some quotes from some panther free agents: http://blackandbluereview.com/quotes-to-note-panthers-2017-free-agents/

Most of it is very level-headed and doesn't give too much info but paired with their relative performance, skill and position, I think there are hints and maybe affirmation about what the plays expect or want.

I think KK thinks he is getting the tag - which I take as him knowing that he and his agent are expecting top dollar and DG isn't "going there".

I think Ginn, Remmers, Big Money, and Leonard Johnson have reasonable expectations about how in-demand their services are and would happy to be back with a contract.

Mario knows he balled out and is the best DE on the team. He wants money and the recognition that comes with it.

Klein's reply seems different from the others. I think he is gone whether its to go start somewhere or to be a part of a team he thinks is better.

Addison had 9 sacks. I would try to keep him but I'm not giving him a massive contract. He's been on the team for 5 seasons, just now cracked the lineup, and will be 30 when the season starts. I'm happy for him that he's gonna get a nice contract but expecting a big money contract for a 9 sack guy who's gonna be 30 years old is delusional. 

I would put him in the $6-7 million/year category. Cliff Avril for example is a guy who is a year older than Addison and when he was Addison's age he signed a 4 year $28 million contract. That may be a reasonable number for Addison I would think. 

1 hour ago, unicar15 said:

According to Over the Cap only around 7-8 teams at any given time from now into the next 3 years have more cap space than the Panthers. In 2017 they will basically be 54 million under the cap. This is with stars like Newton, Keuchly, Davis, Olsen already under contract. Teams ahead of us namely the Bucs, Titans, Redskins are either going to have to negotiate a new contract for their QB this offseason (Cousins), or calculate the room they need to sign Mariota and Winston in the future. That's a big expenditure and was a primary reason for the Panthers cap issues over the last few years. It is a reason no more…So the following is a Gettlemen to do list:

2. Sign JPP (His last contract was 1 year $10 million). He produced 7 sacks and 53 tackles. That would have been second on our team after Addison. If you can get him for a couple years at $7-10 million per year then I'd do it. Give him $8 mil a year and let him save the difference in NC/NYC income tax. 

3. Sign Eric Berry (He's played both SS and FS) - The Chiefs are currently only $4 mil under the cap (28th overall). IMO I think they will have to make a decision on Berry and Dontari Poe. I think they go with Poe. They currently have Houston, Alex Smith, Fisher, Tamba Hali signed to big contracts. They will likely have to tag Poe AND maybe cut Jamaal Charles just to keep Poe. I don't think there is any way they are able to keep Eric Berry with that cap situation unless he takes a big hometown discount. They also have to consider they will likely have a huge contract on the horizon for Marcus Peters in the next 1-2 years. He's one of the best 2-3 CBs in the league. I see him holding out sooner than later. 

4. Sign Matt Kalil. He's going to come relatively cheap. Put him on a line with his brother and a QB who can actually move a little bit and maybe he'll be a better player. Worth the risk for the possible benefit. Even if you decide to draft an OT with your 1st round pick…having Oher and Kalil on the roster IMO is necessary. It's unlikely that all 3 of those players will come out of training camp healthy. Let the 3-4 best tackles compete for the two starting jobs and go from there. 

4. Draft BPA. The offense at the top of this draft with Fournette, Cook, Robinson, McGlinchey would immediately help us win games. The offensive line was atrocious this year. But part of that is due to the array of injuries we had. Kalil will be back. Gettlemen will hopefully fix the LT problem. Personally, I hope the pick is Fournette or Cook and we re-establish what we have always done best with Cam which is control the clock and run the ball effectively. If we fail to sign an impact safety in free agency then drafting Jamal Adams would be fine with me as I think he is likely the next Earl Thomas, Eric Berry type safety if he has Luke and Shaq playing in front of him. 

So that's my amateur opinion in a nutshell. It'll be interesting to see what the "Cam Evolution" brings as far as offensive game plan. It seems like it's a huge switch to try and "get the ball out quick" and "roll him out" when all Shula has done since he's been here is drop back and heave it down the sideline or run the read option. Outside of Olsen and Ginn do we have receivers who get open quickly? Is that really what Funchess and Benjamin do? Guess all of that will be answered in the offseason. 

I like that approach. IF we were able to land Berry and beef up the Dline, I think Coleman goes back to being a very good safety. I think he is a good player that plays better on a good team. He can do his own job well but isn't quite good enough to make up for others' poor play. Pair him with an elite safety and a good pass rush (that doesn't rely on blitzing all of the time) and we see him go back to the 2015 version of himself.

2 hours ago, unicar15 said:

Chiefs could cut Charles and Foles and save about $17m next year.  Depending on how they structure their contracts they could potentially keep Poe and Barry.  I'm not saying they will but it is a possibility. 

Archived