• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which 5 DEs

AU-panther

36 minutes ago, Nails said:

Barf.  Wes Horton and Ryan Delaire should not be on the active roster of a Super Bowl contender.

Then who?  Its hard to pay 5 guys for just 2 positons.  Everybody seems to be wanting a JPP, CJ, Ealy, Addison, high draft pick combo at DE but I just don't see DG spending that much at that one position. 

31 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Then who?  Its hard to pay 5 guys for just 2 positons.  Everybody seems to be wanting a JPP, CJ, Ealy, Addison, high draft pick combo at DE but I just don't see DG spending that much at that one position. 

Assuming for a moment we have 8 picks, I truly believe 3 of our 8 will be on DE's.  Young guys with motors and with far more upside than the disgustingly unbearable Delaire and Horton.  Obviously Barnett is the most likely target but if he's gone in the top 7 or we decide to go Fournette instead, expect a 2016 CB like flurry on days 2 and 3.  I also believe Addison returns.  The 5th spot belongs to CJ/FA/trade/unknown (JPP?).

Guest Lasus83

For some reason, i would really like to see Freeny come to carolina. I wonder if he has anything left in the tank....

Play the addison role of 3rd down pass rusher. Watch that arthritic Tasmanian devil go to work

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

3 minutes ago, Lasus83 said:

For some reason, i would really like to see Freeny come to carolina. I wonder if he has anything left in the tank....

Play the addison role of 3rd down pass rusher. Watch that arthritic Tasmanian devil go to work

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I hate everything about the Falcons, but they played to win this year and the acquisition of Freeney is possibly the best example.  The Panthers played for a top 8 pick.  Mission Accomplished.

Ealy and Delaire going into camp, joined by:

FA's
Devin Taylor - a rotational guy and part time starter from Detroit. He has good size and pass rush ability. Went to South Carolina and is from Beaufort. Would be perfect for our rotation.

Andre Branch - From VA and a product of Clemson. Played for Jacksonville and Miami. Another rotational type guy that has some starting experience. Very good, like Taylor, in the pass rush department.

Both those guys aren't bank breakers, and are solid where we need solidity. Branch will fetch probably 3 Mil a year, while Taylor might only average around 1.5.

Re-Signings
CJ on a cheaper or comparable deal than he got last time. 1 yr at 3 Mil or an average of about as much. The market value for him is supposedly arond 5.something a year, but I don't see it. He's three years older than the two guys listed above, and I wouldn't care if we let CJ walk in favor of both of them, TBQH. But maybe he stays for the good of the team.

Addison. We need to get him back. He was our most reliable down the stretch, and probably our best pass rusher.

We'll let Horton test the market, as he is an RFA. He won't be worth the lowest tender amount, but I expect we could bring him in for camp for a cap hit of around $500-600k. He's hung around for a while now and helped in pinches, so he'll be worth the warm body cost.

Draft options
Barring our scouts being enamored with one of the DEs not named Garrett, and Garrett not falling to us, I think we'll take a DE somewhere in rounds 3-7.

Names to keep an eye on are:
Tanoh Kpassagnon
Daeshon Hall
Dawuane Smoot

3 hours ago, Nails said:

Barf.  Wes Horton and Ryan Delaire should not be on the active roster of a Super Bowl contender.

Horton isn't all too bad. Delaire is. But in my case, when you're paying JPP and Nick Perry those guys have to be here ($$$ cap). However, JPP and Perry are probably more than likely not going to happen and we'll still be stuck with Horton and Delaire.

I'm thinking another similar deal for CJ. What was it, 1 year/$3M? Addison maybe 2-3 year deal for $3M or so per? I really don't see him being all that high demand. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but he's a guy I wouldn't fall into the trap of overpaying, especially if I'm already planning on going after a starting caliber FA. I see Addison as more of an insurance policy/rotational type guy. He's not a guy you sign with the idea of pencilling him in as a starter for the next several years. If that's our plan, then hell, I hope we lose him to force us to alter it.

I sorta doubt addison is going to be that cheap. I think somebody will pay him 6 or 7 per based on his sack number alone. I hope you are right as that would be a good deal for us.

Sent from my SM-T710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Right now, D. Taylor & A. Branch are the only realistic FA's we could land.  Still hoping G-Man shocks everyone and trades for Clowney, but that's just me being bias.

Right now, I think it will end up being Fournette, Adams, or Barnett in the first.   But if we make a big splash in the FA at DE, then that will give us an idea what will happen with out first round pick.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a LB in the first with this more than likely being TD's last season, Luke's concussions, and Klein probably being released.  

If it was up to me, I would resign Addison & CJ, Ealy gets kept for experience and depth.  We trade for Clowney and then take a DE in the 4th, either D. Hand or B. Cox.  With that being said, we'll take Fournette in the 1st, grab Eddie Jackson (SS) in the 3rd.  

Archived