• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which 5 DEs

AU-panther

We all like to discuss what our biggest needs are for this offseason, but if you look at who is actually under contract it is clearly defensive ends.

As of right now we only have two under contract, Kony Ealy and Ryan Delaire.

Most years we seem to carry 5 on the 53 man roster.

Who do you think is going to be that 5?

Here are some free agents:  http://overthecap.com/free-agency/

Here are some potential cuts: http://overthecap.com/2017-potential-cuts-defensive-end/

Here are some draft prospects:  http://walterfootball.com/draft2017DE.php

I see a lot of people talking about going after JPP but if we do that are we letting Addison walk.  Personally I think Addison might command more on the open market then some on here might think.  I can't see us investing that much in 2 DEs.   How about CJ?  I'm guessing he doesn't want to play for another small 1 year deal. 

I'm guessing whoever we do resign will affect who we look at in the draft.  If we resign Addison are we less likely to consider an end like Barnett?  He seems to be more of a speed based RDE like Addison.

If you want to keep CJ and/or Addison how much would you really be willing to pay?  How about JPP?  What kind of contract would he command?

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

We all like to discuss what our biggest needs are for this offseason, but if you look at who is actually under contract it is clearly defensive ends.

As of right now we only have two under contract, Kony Ealy and Ryan Delaire.

Most years we seem to carry 5 on the 53 man roster.

Who do you think is going to be that 5?

Here are some free agents:  http://overthecap.com/free-agency/

Here are some potential cuts: http://overthecap.com/2017-potential-cuts-defensive-end/

Here are some draft prospects:  http://walterfootball.com/draft2017DE.php

I see a lot of people talking about going after JPP but if we do that are we letting Addison walk.  Personally I think Addison might command more on the open market then some on here might think.  I can't see us investing that much in 2 DEs.   How about CJ?  I'm guessing he doesn't want to play for another small 1 year deal. 

I'm guessing whoever we do resign will affect who we look at in the draft.  If we resign Addison are we less likely to consider an end like Barnett?  He seems to be more of a RDE like Addison.

If you want to keep CJ and/or Addison how much would you really be willing to pay?  How about JPP?  What kind of contract would he command?

Unlike safety and OL, I sincerely doubt whatever we do at DE pre-draft will affect the draft itself.  Even Ealy is a FA next year.  You can never have too many pass rushers, and we need MULTIPLE.  Hopefully starting with this guy 

3 minutes ago, Nails said:

Unlike safety and OL, I sincerely doubt whatever we do at DE pre-draft will affect the draft itself.  Even Ealy is a FA next year.  You can never have too many pass rushers, and we need MULTIPLE.  Hopefully starting with this guy 

Agreed. I definitely don't think re-signing Addison would make us shy away from a speed rusher in the draft. It's not like Addison is an elite player. Ideally, he'd be in his historical situational pass rusher role for us, but Ealy's lack of development forced us to start him. Plus, Ealy is just a LDE period. He and CJ are both power oriented rushers best suited for the left side. 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Re-sign Addison and CJ, Ealy there for depth. Vet FA to compete for starting role, early draft pick rookie.

That is potentially a lot of cap space to allocate to one position group.  Any FA that is realistically expected to compete for a starting job will command mid level money.  Not to mention we have a few DTs that will have to paid at some point.

Maybe CJ and Addison will sign for less then I'm thinking.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

That is potentially a lot of cap space to allocate to one position group.  Any FA that is realistically expected to compete for a starting job will command mid level money.  Not to mention we have a few DTs that will have to paid at some point.

Maybe CJ and Addison will sign for less then I'm thinking.

I'm thinking another similar deal for CJ. What was it, 1 year/$3M? Addison maybe 2-3 year deal for $3M or so per? I really don't see him being all that high demand. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but he's a guy I wouldn't fall into the trap of overpaying, especially if I'm already planning on going after a starting caliber FA. I see Addison as more of an insurance policy/rotational type guy. He's not a guy you sign with the idea of pencilling him in as a starter for the next several years. If that's our plan, then hell, I hope we lose him to force us to alter it.

If we think we have a team that can win now I think you have to get rushers in the FA market and not the draft. It takes too long for college kids to develop the strength and speed needed to combat NFL linemen. Hell, even Clowney was looked at as a bust at one point. We need to get proven DE's from FA and draft someone we are sure can be a day 1 contributor in the draft (Adams, Hooker, etc.)

5 hours ago, Adb6368 said:

If we think we have a team that can win now I think you have to get rushers in the FA market and not the draft. It takes too long for college kids to develop the strength and speed needed to combat NFL linemen. Hell, even Clowney was looked at as a bust at one point. We need to get proven DE's from FA and draft someone we are sure can be a day 1 contributor in the draft (Adams, Hooker, etc.)

Clowney had injury and football character questions as well.  For Barnett to average a sack a game from age 18-20 in the SEC, I don't think it's being too crazy to think he could average at least .5 sack a game right out of the shoot, especially with our DTs.

Sign Addison for homwtown discount (had big year this year but no one in the league even knew who he was going into the season)

Sign CJ, wants to retire a panther.  Will sign for cheap again

Sign Alex Okafor- one of my bargain buster.  Has looked solid at times when he was on the field for Arizona.  Was said to be projected as a 4-3 DE coming out but has been in the role of 3-4 OLB for the Cards. Had 8 sacks in 13 games in 2014, but has had a few injuries since (played through a torn Bicep this season)

Would rather have Jamal Adams or Fournette than Barnett

Draft Da'shawn Hand- Hand is Jonathon Allen's backup at Bama.  Was the top kid coming out of High school by some services even over Fournette.  Athletic Freak who has just been behind one of the top 2-3 prospects comjng out in this draft.  Plus Allen was a better fit for 3-4 DE while Hand seems better fit at 4-3 DE. 6'4 275  Good prospect for our 3rd round comp pick

Taco charlton and Solomon Thomas options in the 2nd

Demarcus Walker option in 3rd

Archived