• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FB Mike Tolbert: Has "Respect" For The Way He Was Released By The Panthers; No Hard Feelings

Saca312

2 hours ago, csx said:

What evidence is there that they did this to Smith? This seems to all of a sudden be considered a fact but never heard about this. Honest question.

The pink slip bit was just hyperbole.  I don't remember the exact details, but I seem to recall Smitty saying that neither Gettleman nor Ron were man enough to tell him themselves, that he had to find out from his agent or the media or something.  Either way, if they alienated him and treated him in a way he felt was disrespectful then they didn't handle it right in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

The pink slip bit was just hyperbole.  I don't remember the exact details, but I seem to recall Smitty saying that neither Gettleman nor Ron were man enough to tell him themselves, that he had to find out from his agent or the media or something.  Either way, if they alienated him and treated him in a way he felt was disrespectful then they didn't handle it right in my opinion.

Smith was informed of his release in a one one one meeting with Dave Gettleman. He later claimed that Ron Rivera avoided him on the day of the meeting and called Rivera a coward because of it.

The hubbub came because Smith took offense to comments Gettleman made at the combine indicating he was being evaluated, but he was ultimately informed of his release in person.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Smith was informed of his release in a one one one meeting with Dave Gettleman. He later claimed that Ron Rivera avoided him on the day of the meeting and called Rivera a coward because of it.

The hubbub came because Smith took offense to comments Gettleman made at the combine indicating he was being evaluated, but he was ultimately informed of his release in person.

Ok, I can buy that.  I don't remember hearing he learned of his release from Gettleman, just that they met to discuss the options but there was no resolution when Smitty left.  If there was another meeting later where Gettleman informed him, I didn't hear that bit or don't remember it clearly enough.  The part about Ron is probably what I'm remembering about that comment. 

Archived