• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you take this going into the draft?

NJPanthers12

7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not a big fan of spending money in free agency on a fullback.  Everyone around her seems infatuated with them at the moment, but the fact is a lot of teams don't even use them, and those that do, don't that often.  We could probably get a top 3 fullback prospect in the draft with a 7th round pick.

Which is why I think we can probably pick up a good one in FA because it's not a position that's in demand.

31 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Seems plausible.  I don't really envision any big splashes but some mid tier type of guys I could see happening. 

I'll be curious what we do with Ginn.  Our offense seems to need a speed guy.  If we don't resign him, not sure where that comes from.  I see Cruz being more of a possession type of guy at this point in his career.

I'm not a big fan of spending money in free agency on a fullback.  Everyone around her seems infatuated with them at the moment, but the fact is a lot of teams don't even use them, and those that do, don't that often.  We could probably get a top 3 fullback prospect in the draft with a 7th round pick.

The reason a lot of teams do not use FB's nowadays is because most of them are more pass oriented than power running oriented like we are.  Honestly, I think that has been a weakness in our offense since Hoover left (Tolbert was more a utility guy than true bulldozing FB...even in his prime).  Whether we stick with Stew or go with a power runner in the draft like Fournette, having a hard-nosed dominant lead blocker could make their lives a whole lot easier.  Of course, if we end up with a guy like McCaffrey, the need wouldn't be so great since the offense would be more geared towards moving him around and using him in the short passing game and not straight forward smashmouth football.

But if we do stick to the true power running scheme that we like, a dominant blocking FB is a must.  And since you are seeing less and less of the position in both the NFL and college, finding good ones is much more difficult than it was 10-20 years ago.

Archived