• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to fix it (Coaching)

Mr. Scot

I know full well that replacing a QB and a Coach sets a team back at least two years but I think its time for Fox to go. No not right now but at the end of the season. Anyone who has watched the NFL for a while knows that if a Coach starts to forfeit his draft picks to win right now there is a problem and he is just putting gum on the damn and hoping to keep his job. The fact is most of the time it never works and I dont think this will be an exception. I am as of now preparing to face the fact we will see a new system and coach real soon.

Actually with the recent sucess of Smith/Ryan, Flaco/ Jon Harbough (no idea how to spell that), and now Ryan/Sanchez maybe not. If a certain brainless oof hadn't traded our 1st round pick (in a QB loaded draft) for a situational player we might have been alright. I have no faith in this FO anymore.

We must fire Hurney, Fox, and most of his guys.

Atlanta did it, they are doing great. Bill Parsells went to Miami and shaped it up from a horrible team.

We still have a good team and a lot of talent. I think we can get a GM and a coach in here that would love to take this on, there is enough here to win, this is NOT rebuilding mode completely.

I say do it THIS season. Look, we're most likely NOT making the playoffs here guys. Even if we manage a 9-7 or something the Saints and Falcons are most likely going to have better records. I say we begin to work on this NOW. Let the fans know that you understand there is problems (Richardson) and get someone to work on.

Fox came into this team and took over a awesome defense NOT created by him, it was Del Rio's defense. Since then, it has went down each year he's been here. He is NOT that great. Bad decisions all around. His players with crazy talent have saved him over the years but now it just isn't happening.

It's time. The fans know. The sportscasters know. The experts know. But like someone said, who knows if Richardson is even in the right mind, he looked horrible last night in the stands.

I wouldn't even mind firing Fox and letting Davidson or someone run the team the rest of the year (I think Fox touches the offense and defense, each game, and screws it up) but who knows.

Fact is, coaching is the first thing we have to fix.

If Fox gets fired,it won't be til the end of the year!

Peppers has quit on the team. Our D-Line is terrible. They never replaced Rucker, Jenkins or Minter. Coaching staff sux ass. Ron Meeks is trying to run a cover 2 with no pressure from the front 4. Stupid as poo. Davidson is predictable at Coordinator. The team has all the talent and no heart. Kris Jenkins was right about that when he left for the Jets. We need all new coaching staff and coordinators. We should of traded Peppers, he is a pussy and cant believe he would quit on us just cause he wants out. Terrible, I have lost all respect for him.

Part of how to fix it this year? Do a huge amount of self scouting over this bye. Burn the midnight effing oil, Fox, JD & RM. How many times have we heard opposing players saying that they knew Carolina was going to do this or that because of their tendencies. They need to work to minimize those...STAT.

Part of how to fix it this year? Do a huge amount of self scouting over this bye. Burn the midnight effing oil, Fox, JD & RM. How many times have we heard opposing players saying that they knew Carolina was going to do this or that because of their tendencies. They need to work to minimize those...STAT.

Bingo.

No one-trick pony is going to have much long-term success.

The thing is, yes they can rely on the things they've done well, but there must be another threat there to keep the defense honest.

ex. You can still throw to Steve Smith in the slot on 3rd down. Just don't do it every time. Call plays that set up other targets in these situations to keep defenses honest.

Yep. The Colts are a good example. Their O itself is not "tricky"...they beat you with superior talent and execution of said O. But they do throw in little wrinkles here and there. Like this year they are using WR screens and I don't think I have EVER seen that from them before this year. Henning said once that you aren't any good if you have no tendencies, and I agree to an extent.

Absolutely. But, team's can't sell out and only cover Reggie Wayne on 3rd down. Or just cover Dallas Clark, or Garcon, or Addai... and you get the idea.

Everyone knows what the colts want to do.. it's just ridiculously hard to stop for the reason you mentioned (sheer talent/high level of execution) but also for the fact that defense has to cover all their bases.

Peyton threw a dump pass last Sunday to his RB, who took off like a rocket and scored a TD. The only reason he was able to do that was because the defense is so worried about Wayne, Clark, etc.

Defenses that play us worry about Smith and that's it. Once we develop another threat in 3rd situations, Smith will start to open up. It's one thing when people decide to cover you. But it's another when Sheldon Brown just jumps your route and picks you off because he knows exactly what's coming.

That kind of thing isn't going to beat anyone. To be that predictable in the NFL, is to be terrible.

Agree there.

If there's one area in which I think we've long been weak, it's self-scouting. The best teams in the league are always very good at that.

And good teams also play better as the year goes on which is partly due to adjusting to your team's strengths & weaknesses as outlined by the prior games and injuries along the way. That's also good coaching.

Mesmer, I agree. You have to pick your poison with the Colts weapons. Most teams have one good/really one you can try to take out (like Smitty on the Cats) and let the other guy try to beat you with secondary importance played on them. The Colts are a team you can't do that to.

As an aside, and relating to coaching on the other side of the ball, it's discouraging with the Panthers that they wouldn't just try to take Gonzo out of the passing game vs Atl, and he ate them. Nor did they play the run particularly well (Turner had 105). The following week, the Pats, with many more key injuries/missing guys on D completely took Gonzo out of the game (1 rec vs 7 the prior week) and basically stopped Turner (56 yards).

Archived