• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to fix it (Coaching)

Mr. Scot

(Currently posting different threads breaking down changes that I feel need to be made if we're going to salvage this season; keep in mind as you read that not everything can be fixed this year, so I'm attempting to concentrate on those things which realistically can be, and going unit by unit)

COACHING

So this is the heart of it all, the guys at the top.

Someone will no doubt say "fire Fox" (and/or some of his lieutenants) and while that could conceivably happen, I don't believe it will. At least not until year's end. hence, my decision to concentrate on things that are fixable with the current regime still in place. "Regime change" is a whole other discussion.

Most of the points to be made here - no discipline, lack of fundamentals, poor playcalling, bad decisions and approaches, etc - have already been made in the unit-specific threads. Thus, what I’ll do here is sum up the whole thing from the coaching perspective.

When John Fox came to the Panthers in 2002, among the first things he did was to tell his players two things…

1) They weren’t very good

2) They weren’t very tough

Naturally, neither of those things were his fault. And in the course of two years, Fox had fixed both problems.

Six years later though, we’ve come full circle. The team isn’t very good, and it isn’t very tough. And this time, it is John Fox’s fault.

Make no mistake. Getting an entirely new head coach, GM and system is a radical thing. Having to go that route isn’t likely to be the quick fix people expect. More likely it’ll set us back at least a year, and quite possibly more than that.

The better option would be for Fox to knuckle down and fix the problems. And for whatever you think of Fox, make no mistake, that could happen.

Whether it will or not? That’s the big question.

So the bottom line to Coach Fox? Two choices.

Fix up the team, or you may just find yourself fixing up your resume’.

(and I'm done)

So, How do you get Fox motivated again? Will it be last nights loss on national TV that will do it? Or will JR have to have a meeting with him for something to happen?

I don't know that you do, honestly.

Of the choices, the second sounds more likely to work. But I'd be lying if I said I had much optimism at this point.

Although like you said it might mean we are rebuilding mode and we might lose next season due to transition, I would still rather see him be shown the door. IMO he already has proven in my eyes that he has trouble gameplanning.

Last night we came out with an aggressive D, Blitzing, the CBs were playing closer to the line, and most importantly we got pressure. That proves to me that this D has the talent. Then Fox comes out in the 2nd half like hes up by 3 tds not 1 and starts playing more conservative on D and then Romo and Choice just eats them for supper.

IMHO I really think Fox must have got hit in the head really hard at half. Its like when there is something broke he doesn't try to fix it. But when it finally gets fixed he starts trying to fix it when there was nothing wrong with it.

We must fire Hurney, Fox, and most of his guys.

Atlanta did it, they are doing great. Bill Parsells went to Miami and shaped it up from a horrible team.

We still have a good team and a lot of talent. I think we can get a GM and a coach in here that would love to take this on, there is enough here to win, this is NOT rebuilding mode completely.

I say do it THIS season. Look, we're most likely NOT making the playoffs here guys. Even if we manage a 9-7 or something the Saints and Falcons are most likely going to have better records. I say we begin to work on this NOW. Let the fans know that you understand there is problems (Richardson) and get someone to work on.

Fox came into this team and took over a awesome defense NOT created by him, it was Del Rio's defense. Since then, it has went down each year he's been here. He is NOT that great. Bad decisions all around. His players with crazy talent have saved him over the years but now it just isn't happening.

It's time. The fans know. The sportscasters know. The experts know. But like someone said, who knows if Richardson is even in the right mind, he looked horrible last night in the stands.

I wouldn't even mind firing Fox and letting Davidson or someone run the team the rest of the year (I think Fox touches the offense and defense, each game, and screws it up) but who knows.

Fact is, coaching is the first thing we have to fix.

Think about last season... we started kinda slow (with the exception of the W in SD) and played pretty good all season... not many injuries and it all fell into place. Think about the MNF game where we crushed Tampa and then played straight up to the Giants (the best team in the NFL at the time) at their place, we were on, motivated, tough and rolling... then something happened with that AZ game and it's like every bit of motivation and desire left this team, players, coaches, FO, everywhere... what the hell happened. Did that playoff loss to AZ kill this franchise?

We had an easy schedule last year. Usually when we have a easy schedule, we do fine, but when we play good teams, we don't. Fox gets lucky and calls good games sometimes, but he CANNOT adjust during the game. If it ain't working, we are screwed. This is not how it should be. Last night we were outcoached, plain and simple.

Fox came into this team and took over a awesome defense NOT created by him, it was Del Rio's defense. Since then, it has went down each year he's been here.

Al Wallace pretty much said that last night on the pregame show when he said the Panthers need to have that 2002 defense

Al Wallace pretty much said that last night on the pregame show when he said the Panthers need to have that 2002 defense

I'd love to get Del Rio back as the DC, and if we couldn't get Cowher and some others, I wouldn't mind him as a HC. At least he has some fire.

Archived