• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Weight Lifting Advice

Jackofalltrades

1 hour ago, 15 said:

aaaaand some guy just brought cookies into my office and I devoured way too fugging many. 

Successfully declined post-lunch ice cream with the office crew today...I feel like Sugar is the #1 worst thing I can consume.  If I had to recommend cutting one thing out of anyone's diet, that would be it.

I've gotten pretty into focusing on manipulating my body weight. Working on functional strength and explosive movements more than anything. I change it up every day in the gym, so I don't really have a "plan". I just make sure I hit each major muscle group 1 or 2 times a week and to not work any one group drastically more than the rest. I mostly do body weight or compound lifts. 

Any given week, I do all of these throughout the week

Power cleans (heavy, 3X5)
Clean-to-press-to-squat-to-press (somewhat light, 3X10. usually involved with a circuit)
Squats (heavy, 3X5)
Ab rollouts (ab wheel and bar on different days and in different types of circuits)
Dips (usually in a circuit, 10-20 reps)
Pullups (literally any type you can think of. I suck at them, so I go to failure currently until I get better at them)
TRX pull downs from kneeling position (great to simulate the pullup if you struggle with them like me, med. to heavy weight 3X10)
Punch outs/punch ups/punch downs (in a circuit that incorporates a lot of shoulder, usually a finisher to the circuit. I do them in that order with no rest with 15 lb dumbbells)
Push ups (all sorts of variations. Always changing it. Tuck throughs, headstand, prowler, you name it, I do it.)
Planks (and every variation I can think of. Don't do it often, but I do them at least once a week)
Knee tucks in Capt. Chair (usually 15-20 reps)
Leg raises from hanging position (burnout)
Mountain climbers (part of my circuit almost daily. good to get the heart rate up. Usually do 2 min.)
DB curls only bubble balance board (great for core stability. like to curl to press as well. 3X15 with light weight, typically)
Kettlebell swings (usually in a circuit, sometimes just for time)
Medicine ball throws and sprawls (usually part of my shoulder circuit, sometimes do it on chest circuits)
DB bench (heavy, 3X5, sometimes 3X8)

And that about covers it. I don't do all this daily, but I go at a pretty high pace. I don't give myself much rest. Never in the gym more than 45 minutes, sometimes as little as 30 min. But I get MUCH better work than I ever did doing my old power lifting routine. Getting stronger while losing body fat and gaining the stability and balance I've lost since high school.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, Jackofalltrades said:

Have you seen That Sugar Film?

Just watched it for a little extra motivation to make healthy changes in my diet. Its disgusting; both what sugar does to you and how almost every food out there is laced with just the right amount of sugar.  Watching Food Inc right now. These docs are motivating but also really depressing when you consider how health guidelines and legislative policies are paid for by big agra and pharm companies. Tax dollars going to corn to perpetuate the diabetes epidemic. Our country is in need of a serious health/food shake up.

"Here, spend your money on this. We even used you tax dollars to preemptively make it cheaper for you. Oh, what's that? Now you have diseases and illnesses because of your horrible diet? Well, you are in luck, my friend, I've got just the cocktail of drugs for you to buy."

I quit drinking soda (for the most part and now miraculously, I don't need antacids anymore.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:05 AM, Doc Holiday said:

Hey so I've kinda maxed out on my current weight lifting routine, and need to switch it up, anyone have a good workout plan that I can find online and do?

my experience is moderate, and about a 6/10 for conditioning at the moment.

Best thing I've found is on youtube. Athlean-X is the name of the channel. Tons of great advice and workouts on there, or you can spend a little money and buy one of his programs. They're all solid.

4 hours ago, lightsout said:

Best thing I've found is on youtube. Athlean-X is the name of the channel. Tons of great advice and workouts on there, or you can spend a little money and buy one of his programs. They're all solid.

cool, thanks! I'll look into that!

13 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

Just watched it for a little extra motivation to make healthy changes in my diet. Its disgusting; both what sugar does to you and how almost every food out there is laced with just the right amount of sugar.  Watching Food Inc right now. These docs are motivating but also really depressing when you consider how health guidelines and legislative policies are paid for by big agra and pharm companies. Tax dollars going to corn to perpetuate the diabetes epidemic. Our country is in need of a serious health/food shake up.

"Here, spend your money on this. We even used you tax dollars to preemptively make it cheaper for you. Oh, what's that? Now you have diseases and illnesses because of your horrible diet? Well, you are in luck, my friend, I've got just the cocktail of drugs for you to buy."

I quit drinking soda (for the most part and now miraculously, I don't need antacids anymore.

I quit my Protonix Rx the GI said I'd be on the rest of my life by fixing my microbiome. Two months off of it and no signs of indigestion. It's amazing what you can fix with just healthy food. 

18 minutes ago, TwentyTwoMcCaffrey said:

Steroids. I'm not joking. And that's just me. I'm not here telling or forcing you to do it. But do your research. 

Ive been lifting since middle school. Spent a fortune of total loss money on supplements: creatine, protein, vitamins, etc. Couldn't gain any muscle or ripped. GNC, Vitamin World and Vitamin Shoppe made a living from me. 

I watched a pretty good documentary on steroids that likened them to marijuana in many aspects as far as misinformation is concerned. 

Archived