• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shoe advice

Jackofalltrades

On 6/26/2017 at 8:41 AM, Johnny Rockets said:

As someone who has feet that are, well lets just call them "a bit difficult", I highly recommend Scrum's suggestion. There are plenty of places that probably do this well but I went to "Run for Your Life" off Mallard Creek a few years ago which would just be a short drive down 85 for you JOAT and they helped me a lot. In your situation, I wouldn't buy shoes without doing that first. 

http://runforyourlife.com/

You're just not going to get a quality shoe from Rack Room, Shoe Dept, etc. and if you are on your feet a lot, you need good shoes especially with your knee troubles. I don't normally recommend this because I try to support shopping local whenever I can but if cost is an issue, find the shoe that is recommended and do some online research and find last year's model for a significantly cheaper price. Like I said, I don't like that idea because if they are gong to take the time to diagnose what shoe works for you, I think they should be compensated so buy from the store that helps you if possible but it is an option to save money. 

I have found Brooks and some of the higher end ASIC Gel Nimbus models work best for me. ASICs can be hit or miss but I found a style that works for me and they provide great support and are more durable than Brooks. Big difference between a $69.99 ASIC at a mall shoe store and a $160 pair at a quality running shoe store. 

I hate New Balance but that is just a personal preference based mostly off looks/style. I don't bother looking at Nike's because they tend to run narrow and I've never found a pair that were comfortable in any way

Good luck..... spend a few extra dollars and go for quality. Being pain free and comfortable all starts with your feet so put some good tires on them! It's worth the investment in the long run. 

This is good advice. The cost of a good show will pay for itself in the long run.  If you do go to a specialty store you can try and. Egotists a little discount.  If you buy two pairs ( I know it's a lot of $$$$ out front) it might help your bargaining

13 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

I never saw this thread the first time around, but it's ironic that you started out saying NB were bad, yet buying them in the end. If you go to any hospital/doctors office, look at their feet. They walk around in New Balance all day long. Not for fashion. And they cost no more than other quality shoes.

I've never really realized how important shoes are until now. I'm not necessarily opposed to NB but my most recent pair weren't comfortable but I found out why...they're too damn small. 

I wish I had looked into proper footwear long ago, but it's a lesson learned. I'll get another pair here soon so that I can rotate daily. 

Archived