• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Faking 4th down attempts

52!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/090922&sportCat=nfl

I respect this guys work too much to do anything that would suggest Im not giving him full credit. Do yourself a favor and read the first 4 or 5 paragraphs and then look at the links.

Youll see why Im not just some drooling fan hoping to recapture the glory days of my Pop Warner Team.

You took my post in the wrong direction. I merely thought you were jumping to the conclusion way too quickly (as in, "fire them!") and you put too much emotion into your post. Nothing more, nothing less.

the fake draw them offsides play on fourth is bush league.

It is a college and high school play at best and hardly ever works on that level. It is insulting for an NFL to come out after a timeout and try that crap.

Why? I just don't see your reasoning here. It's not like they are tricking them, they are merely playing on their willingness to get a jump on the play. It's no different than fake-hiking when it comes to what you are trying to accomplish.

Many teams do it. Favre does/did it all the time. P. Manning does too. The big problem was we should've taken the delay-of-game penalty and not have used a time out. The coaches figured the Redskins were prime for it too. They had already been offsides/in the neutral zone a few times. I have no problem with the call.

Many teams do it. Favre does/did it all the time. P. Manning does too. The big problem was we should've taken the delay-of-game penalty and not have used a time out. The coaches figured the Redskins were prime for it too. They had already been offsides/in the neutral zone a few times. I have no problem with the call.

I think wasting a timeout was the worst thing to do though with our conservative team. Instead of waiting until 4th down to try and pull a gimmick out of your hat, mix up the snap count throughout the game. The opponents probably have enough games on tape to know we don't go for it on 4th down very often. The concept was nice but the implementation of it was not.

I thought that they did take the delay penalty.

The situation you are referring to in Sunday's game was an example of when this attempt was a good call.

1. We were outside FG range

2. Dropping the short punt inside the 10 yd line is extremely difficult from that distance.

3. The extra 5 yards for the delay of game actually made the punt easier

4. There is always a chance someone jumps.

5. We were not going for it and giving them excellent field position....as we were having trouble lining up and running short (our OLine sucks right now)

We had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I do hate it where you try it and then have to call time out.

What you don't mention is that Hanesworth was hurt and out of the game at that time. I think we had a better chance of sticking up the middle then than we did on the goal line where we tried to do it four times in a row.

Archived