• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comic book collectors

The Lobo

We have a lot of comic book movie threads here, thought I’d start one on the actual books.

ive been a collector for quite a few years now, I always find it fun to discuss them with others. So, what are your favorite comics? What’s the most precious one you own? What’s you’re favorite graphic novel of all time? Maybe someone could talk about what they are currently reading or collecting or offer recommendations.

its the offseason just looking to pass some time. 

I really loved Todd McFarlane's 'Spiderman' comic back in the 90's. When he left it and Erik Larsen took it over, it didn't really miss a beat. I've got copies of Jim Lee's first X-Men comic, all of Todd McFarlane's Spiderman comics, some signed Erik Larsen and Mark Bagley comics. Nothing rare, just stuff I liked in my early teens. I collected every first edition of every title that Image Comics came out with for like their first year or two. Then they got big enough that I just didn't have the desire to keep up with it. They're all in a box in my closet now in acid free sleeves. 

31 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

I really loved Todd McFarlane's 'Spiderman' comic back in the 90's. When he left it and Erik Larsen took it over, it didn't really miss a beat. I've got copies of Jim Lee's first X-Men comic, all of Todd McFarlane's Spiderman comics, some signed Erik Larsen and Mark Bagley comics. Nothing rare, just stuff I liked in my early teens. I collected every first edition of every title that Image Comics came out with for like their first year or two. Then they got big enough that I just didn't have the desire to keep up with it. They're all in a box in my closet now in acid free sleeves. 

So you have ASM 298-300 then, those are great ones to own. Barley is one of my favorites that’s cool you got some signed. Did you happen to grab a Walking dead #1? It’s only worth close to a million in great condition haha. 

The mylar bags are a good choice for your books, I use them too. If you have time head over to mycomicshop.com and check the prices on some of your books, they may be worth selling on eBay.

It also may be worth the time to CGC the mcfarlene stuff as well. I used to subscribe to cgc I sent off a bunch of stuff. Tomb of Dracula 10, Werewolf by night 32, Amazing spider man 129; they all came back at awesome grades.

I have all of the Star Wars Marvel comics from the 70s and 80s. Second tuesday of the month was comic delivery day at the 7-11 down the street, me and my dollar would buy a 35 cent comic and a 50 cent candy bar and have a nice half hour together. I'm really glad I managed to keep all of them together, packed up well, while I was in the Navy. Most of my other stuff got thrown out after I left and my stepmom and stepsister moved in along with the Downs Syndrome guy my stepmom took care of as a full time job.

20 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

So you have ASM 298-300 then, those are great ones to own. Barley is one of my favorites that’s cool you got some signed. Did you happen to grab a Walking dead #1? It’s only worth close to a million in great condition haha. 

The mylar bags are a good choice for your books, I use them too. If you have time head over to mycomicshop.com and check the prices on some of your books, they may be worth selling on eBay.

It also may be worth the time to CGC the mcfarlene stuff as well. I used to subscribe to cgc I sent off a bunch of stuff. Tomb of Dracula 10, Werewolf by night 32, Amazing spider man 129; they all came back at awesome grades.

Yeah, I need to go pull them out of the box in the closet and see how they're doing. I don't really have any interest in selling them, but it'd be cool to see how much they're worth. I do not have any Walking Dead comics unfortunately. I just checked some sites and the signed Bagley and Larsen comics range from the $80s to $300s, so that's cool. I'll probably give them to my nephews once they're old enough to appreciate/not destroy them. 

Just now, PanthersBigD said:

Yeah, I need to go pull them out of the box in the closet and see how they're doing. I don't really have any interest in selling them, but it'd be cool to see how much they're worth. I do not have any Walking Dead comics unfortunately. I just checked some sites and the signed Bagley and Larsen comics range from the $80s to $300s, so that's cool. I'll probably give them to my nephews once they're old enough to appreciate/not destroy them. 

Awesome! I wish I had a cool uncle that passed comics to me when I was a boy. Value has gone up in comics thanks to the movies. It’s interesting though, marvel has changed a lot of their characters to match the movies, yet a very small percentage of ppl who watch  the movies, read the comics. 

Also, if you are looking for a good reads, Image has a ton of quality stuff out right now. Invincible, Nowhere Men, East of West just to name a few.

I have a small collection of mainly horror comics.  A few Weird Wonder Tales (70s comics), Swamp Thing and the like.  One collection I do have is early 80s Twisted Tales by Pacific Comics.  Don't have #8 but all the others.  Love that series.  I was collecting all the Eerie and Creepy (Warren) comics but I decided they were worth some doe and sold those off on Amazon.  Diddo on Walking Dead comics.

Archived