• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pike

Dpantherman

Pike has just about everything you want out of a QB at the pro level except one thing, an arm. He really is a good on-field leader but his arm strength is going to be his down fall in the draft and in the NFL. In college you can get by with not being able to make certain throws but in the pros you have to have a arm that can at least attempt them and that is where Pike faulters. It's a shame because if he had Clausen's arm he would be the unquestioned #1 overall pick.

Pike has just about everything you want out of a QB at the pro level except one thing, an arm. He really is a good on-field leader but his arm strength is going to be his down fall in the draft and in the NFL. In college you can get by with not being able to make certain throws but in the pros you have to have a arm that can at least attempt them and that is where Pike faulters. It's a shame because if he had Clausen's arm he would be the unquestioned #1 overall pick.

He'll still be first round talent in spite of that. Decent conditioning with a pro squad will improve his arm greatly. The rest of his qualities are hard to teach. An intelligent team will take the chance, IMO.

He'll still be first round talent in spite of that. Decent conditioning with a pro squad will improve his arm greatly. The rest of his qualities are hard to teach. An intelligent team will take the chance, IMO.

Conditioning really doesn't have much effect on arm strength as it relates to this situation. When it comes to throwing a ball, baseball or football, either you have the strength to do or you don't. Conditioning only really helps a player throw at the same strength for a longer period of time.

From what I have seen from him playing and read from a couple of scouting reports, I would draft him bottom of the 2nd round and on and be happy with it but if you have to draft him in the 1st then the risk is really too high considering. I think the best situation for him would be to get drafted by a WCO but even then some of the throws would be difficult for him to make.

i think pikes arm is strong enough, he does have some room for improvement. hes no jay cutler, but hes a good enough thrower to get the job done.

The first time I saw a report talking about his lack of arm strength I was really shocked because I didn't see that in any of the games I had watched to that point. The next game I was looking for it and it was fairly obvious but not from watching him play. Cincinnati does a great job of utilizing his talents but also covering up his weakness with playcalling. That is something you don't want to have to do with your franshise QB.

The first time I saw a report talking about his lack of arm strength I was really shocked because I didn't see that in any of the games I had watched to that point. The next game I was looking for it and it was fairly obvious but not from watching him play. Cincinnati does a great job of utilizing his talents but also covering up his weakness with playcalling. That is something you don't want to have to do with your franshise QB.

but if you think about it, is that not done in the NFL? look at Matt Cassel in 2008 for example

but if you think about it, is that not done in the NFL? look at Matt Cassel in 2008 for example

And where is Matt Cassel now? Not in New England anymore. Just saying.

I'm not saying Pike is a bad QB. I just think he isn't a possible franshise QB coming out of college. Draft him in the late 2nd round or higher and then you have a project QB with a low risk, high reward factor. At worst he becomes a great backup and you only spent a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. But I don't think that is what the Panthers, and more importantly Panther fans, are looking for.

And where is Matt Cassel now? Not in New England anymore. Just saying.

I'm not saying Pike is a bad QB. I just think he isn't a possible franshise QB coming out of college. Draft him in the late 2nd round or higher and then you have a project QB with a low risk, high reward factor. At worst he becomes a great backup and you only spent a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. But I don't think that is what the Panthers, and more importantly Panther fans, are looking for.

only because they have Tom Brady. but lets forget that. Will we ever get what we want?? i doubt it.

Archived