• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lake Dawson Has Second Interview With Panthers For GM Job

bobsfoodbasics

12 minutes ago, Black&Blue said:

That's a mentally ill piece of journalism.  75% of the candidates interviewed by the Panthers have been black.  The Panthers have a Hispanic head coach.  One of their top front office lieutenants for the past two decades has been black.  Most of their roster is black.  You literally have to be crazy if you think the Panthers are even close to being racist.

So Jerry Richardson directing an N-word at an African American scout is no big deal?

1 hour ago, The Righteous Troll said:

John Wooten is satisfied because the Panthers probably told him once the NFL closes the investigation they will hire one of the candidates. 

Or this is the kind of thing that the Panthers or the NFL would want to have out there so that when they named Marty Hurney the GM, they can say "see, we weren't racist".

And to tell the truth, the hiring of Marty Hurney might not be racist. Jerry Richardson's preference for Marty Hurney may not necessarily be related to the color of his skin.

So no, it wouldn't necessarily be racist.

It would, however, be incredibly stupid.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Or this is the kind of thing that the Panthers or the NFL would want to have out there so that when they named Marty Hurney the GM, they can say "see, we weren't racist".

And to tell the truth, the hiring of Marty Hurney might not be racist. Jerry Richardson's preference for Marty Hurney may not necessarily be related to the color of his skin.

So no, it wouldn't necessarily be racist.

It would, however, be incredibly stupid.

In this case it's not as embarrassing as the Raiders just interviewing Tee Martin...All of the candidates outside of Martin Mayhew have ties to the current organization one way or another:

Lake Dawson has interviewed for the GM position before and a Bill Polian disciple AND to top it off was hired by Brandon Beane.

Raye III worked with Rivera and Turner in SD so there is alot of familiarity there.

It's not about the Panthers being racist in this case it's about them being SEXIST....That is a bigger deal to the NFL and their brand right now. In this #MeToo era how would it look for an organization that has harassment claims and one confirmed harassment claim from the owner no less to hire a GM with a harassment claim??  I can see it now "The culture of harassment in the Carolinas"

Richardson's preference to Hurney is more him just wanting someone in his comfort zone....The Panthers should hire a new GM OUTSIDE of the organization and get the new Owner in ASAP to turn the page on this Era of the Panthers.

The Panthers have a pretty strong track record of hiring minorities on the football side. The head of communications is a minority (more importantly, he’s a tremendous PR guy). As for the business operation end of things, I don’t know how they stack up in terms of diversity vs the other 31 franchises. It does appear JR had some character flaws, but how many off you are truly SHOCKED. 

JR is no better or worse now to me than I have largely viewed him over the past decade or so. It’s just, today, the standards for corporate behavior (and subsequent penalty) are graded a tad differently than in the past. Times have changed. I’ll let you folks decide if that’s positive. 

I do understand the article, and its intent, given the slow drip pace things have been in lately. Clicks. 

2 minutes ago, Black&Blue said:

Jerry Richardson hiring an uncountable number of minorities over a 25 year period is no big deal?

Would make more of a difference if he were a better owner.

And that's the thing: It's not so much that Jerry Richardson wants to hire Marty Hurney over Lake Dawson.  The problem is that Jerry Richardson wants to hire Marty Hurney over anybody and everybody. And it has nothing to do with Marty being good or bad at his job.  It has everything to do with him being a loyal employee.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Would make more of a difference if he were a better owner.

And that's the thing: It's not so much that Jerry Richardson wants to hire Marty Hurney over Lake Dawson.  The problem is that Jerry Richardson wants to hire Marty Hurney over anybody and everybody. And it has nothing to do with Marty being good or bad at his job.  It has everything to do with him being a loyal employee.

You act like cronyism is rare in the NFL.

I'm completely with you on JR botching this thing from the very beginning.  It was impulsive and wreck less.   What I reject is the notion that the Carolina Panthers are universally  just because the former owner once allegedly said ****** once.  

Archived