• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To-Do List

MtnProwler

Remaining off-season to-do list:

1) Cut Fozzy and Shepard, they're likely #3s on the depth chart at this point. They will even be lower after we likely draft a WR and RB. +$3.5m in cap savings just from those two alone. (TD suspension cost him +$1m in salary, any one know how this impacts our salary cap?)

2) Contract Funchess to a long term deal. We have the cap room next year so this shouldn't be an issue.

3) Contract D. Williams to a long term deal.

4) With the extra cap room from #1, make 1-2 more notable signings. It could be a vet min deal or something that's not going to be much more than $1.5m each, for depth and competition. Things start to become cheap at this point in FA. Just think how much more we open the draft in getting us to some true BPA situations. Some remaining names:

TE: Bennett, Thomas, Celek, Lewis, Miller

QB: Anderson, Clemens, Sanchez, Webb, Yates, Davis.

WR: Wheaton, Decker, Maclin, Inman, Aiken, Floyd.

CB: DRC, Lane, House, Hall, Newman, Revis

S: Mitchell, Parker, Branch, Vacaro, Reid, Boston

DE: Ayers, Russell, Jenkins

I definitely swap #2 and #3 for priority. He did well last season until he got injured but I’m-not sold enough on Funchess yet to give him one of these inflated WR deals. Choosing only between them and assuming a WR in the draft it’s easy for me to prioritize Williams even if it means letting Funchess go in FA.

28 minutes ago, MtnProwler said:

1) Cut Fozzy and Shepard, they're likely #3s on the depth chart at this point. They will even be lower after we likely draft a WR and RB. +$3.5m in cap savings just from those two alone. (TD suspension cost him +$1m in salary, any one know how this impacts our salary cap?)  We could also guarantee some of Torrey Smith's unguaranteed contract and save another $2m.  I am still not feeling that Ryan Kalil is worth the $9m, but he was paid a roster bonus on March 16, so Marty II and his "I am not going to get emotional this  time" philosophy is being tested.

2) Contract Funchess to a long term deal. We have the cap room next year so this shouldn't be an issue.  It sure seems like we will have a lot of cap room, but we have a lot of departures next year, which is why we draft BPA this draft--if the right player is not there, too bad.  If we do not have a good draft, we will need every penny of that cap to reach mediocrity.  If we draft a #1 WR early in this draft and he plays well, Funchess could walk.  Let's say we get Ridley or Moore and they go for 1000 yards.  Samuel has a good season.  Smith pulls a Ginn and finds a key role.  Do we need to be paying Funchess a truckload of money?

3) Contract D. Williams to a long term deal. I agree. To me, this is WAY more important that giving Funchess a mountain of cash. Funchess has been decent, but nothing spectacular. 

4) With the extra cap room from #1, make 1-2 more notable signings. It could be a vet min deal or something that's not going to be much more than $1.5m each, for depth and competition. Things start to become cheap at this point in FA. Just think how much more we open the draft in getting us to some true BPA situations. Some remaining names:

TE: Bennett, Thomas, Celek, Lewis, Miller  DIdnt Bennett retire?  Not a big fan of any of these--Celek maybe.

QB: Anderson, Clemens, Sanchez, Webb, Yates, Davis.  This is key.  If we were going to go after Webb, I think we would have by now.  Yates and Clemens are appealing to me. 

WR: Wheaton, Decker, Maclin, Inman, Aiken, Floyd.   If we don't draft a WR, we may need one of these.  I kinda think Decker would be a good fit and get along with Cam.   His wife could sell South beach Diets in her bikini during timeouts.  Win win.

CB: DRC, Lane, House, Hall, Newman, Revis  With this draft and after adding Cockrell (I like Cockrell more than Breeland, by the way, in our system), I think we would be stupid to sign an aging CB.

S: Mitchell, Parker, Branch, Vacaro, Reid, Boston  (I Imagine, just before the draft, you could get one of these Safeties on the cheap. 

DE: Ayers, Russell, Jenkins  Ayers is interesting.  You  always wonder if they could do better in your system.  Still, not a lot here.

Interesting idea for a thread.  My comments in bold above. 

56 minutes ago, joeyxfresco said:

Give me Vacarro, Lewis, and Sanchez. 

I like Mark as a backup. Dude was instrumental to Dak and Mitch’s rookie development. He’s basically a QB coach in pads 

This sounds more like a do do list :poo:

2 hours ago, steven8989 said:

Webb was signed by the Texans. Should have kept him over Anderson last year

Could not agree more.   Keeping Derek Anderson over him was idiocy.  Was that a post-Gettlemen move?  We were lucky Cam didn't go down for a significant amount of time.

4 hours ago, MtnProwler said:

1) Cut Fozzy and Shepard, they're likely #3s on the depth chart at this point. They will even be lower after we likely draft a WR and RB. +$3.5m in cap savings just from those two alone. (TD suspension cost him +$1m in salary, any one know how this impacts our salary cap?)

2) Contract Funchess to a long term deal. We have the cap room next year so this shouldn't be an issue.

3) Contract D. Williams to a long term deal.

TE: Bennett, Thomas, Celek, Lewis, Miller

QB: Anderson, Clemens, Sanchez, Webb, Yates, Davis.

WR: Wheaton, Decker, Maclin, Inman, Aiken, Floyd.

CB: DRC, Lane, House, Hall, Newman, Revis

S: Mitchell, Parker, Branch, Vacaro, Reid, Boston

DE: Ayers, Russell, Jenkins

We can't sign any more UFA becuase we might lose a possible 3rd round comp pick next year. But this doesn't mean we cant add any more players. 

Hurney is still busy trying to sign guys that we cut or we not on a team last year. A few names to consider: 

• DE Robert Ayers - From South Carolina, appreantly we offered him a 1 year deal. He might be holding out for more $ or more years
  • TE Gary Barnidge - former Panther and at 32 might still have something left
  • TE Lardarius Green - major concussion issues but might be worth a look

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

We can't sign any more UFA becuase we might lose a possible 3rd round comp pick next year. But this doesn't mean we cant add any more players. 

Hurney is still busy trying to sign guys that we cut or we not on a team last year. A few names to consider: 

• DE Robert Ayers - From South Carolina, appreantly we offered him a 1 year deal. He might be holding out for more $ or more years
  • TE Gary Barnidge - former Panther and at 32 might still have something left
  • TE Lardarius Green - major concussion issues but might be worth a look

The NFL doesn't make public their formula for comp picks, so we are left estimating off of what they've done in the past. I'm asking because I legitimately don't know, what would be the difference in signing another UFA now, at a cheaper cost, compared to our previous UFA signings that would risk our comp pick?

Still, I'm not certain that I wouldn't risk a third round comp pick for a few of these guys.

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Interesting idea for a thread.  My comments in bold above. 

I agree, we are likely done at CB until the draft. DE is very slim and we've probably exhausted our options or moved on, probably a draft coming there too.

The others, QB/TE/WR/S, are still intriguing options.

Funchess showed solid #2 numbers last year. But you're right he's only done that 1/3 years. If he would sign a #2 WR quality contract with some heavy incentives if he performs like a #1, I would go for that. 

13 minutes ago, MtnProwler said:

I agree, we are likely done at CB until the draft. DE is very slim and we've probably exhausted our options or moved on, probably a draft coming there too.

The others, QB/TE/WR/S, are still intriguing options.

Funchess showed solid #2 numbers last year. But you're right he's only done that 1/3 years. If he would sign a #2 WR quality contract with some heavy incentives if he performs like a #1, I would go for that. 

Part of the year he was #1. Lets see how he does--he is improving.

36 minutes ago, MtnProwler said:

The NFL doesn't make public their formula for comp picks, so we are left estimating off of what they've done in the past. I'm asking because I legitimately don't know, what would be the difference in signing another UFA now, at a cheaper cost, compared to our previous UFA signings that would risk our comp pick?

Still, I'm not certain that I wouldn't risk a third round comp pick for a few of these guys.

We lost 3 UFA - Norwell, Star, Dickson

We gained 2 UFA - Cockrell, Poe

We probbaly dont want to risk not getting a comp 3 next year.

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

We lost 3 UFA - Norwell, Star, Dickson

We gained 2 UFA - Cockrell, Poe

We probbaly dont want to risk not getting a comp 3 next year.

I really don't care about the next year. Let's go try and win a ring since we only have Pep for one more year. Go out there and sign a good safety so you don't have to draft one early. All we have to do is cut Shepherd. 

Archived