• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is what Jake is doing a surprise?

the butch

I keep seeing all these comments in passing, "fail to incorporate them into the game plan," or "fail to acknowledge a third receiver," etc...

The list goes on and on. Jake has ALWAYS done this. He's had one guy, Steve, and that's it. Why do you think we can't develop talent? We don't have the quarterback to do it with. The receiver has to do everything for Jake, they help him 100% more than he helps them. King can be a good receiver but he can't make as many plays as Rosario can to save Jake time and time again so we limit him. And sense defenses know Jake can't throw it to more than Steve they double team him and let Moose get those 5-7 yarders (sometimes I still don't know why we try to throw 50 yard bombs to Moose).

Jake's play has always been overlooked because the Panthers have been somewhat decent over the years due to whatever reasons (blocking, better receiving, coaching) that have more than made up for his ability. Like Fox said when he made Jake the starter, "he gives us the best chance to win the game." Doesn't really sound like a vote of confidence does it? But Jake became a fan favorite and everybody stuck with him--as well as Fox. Instead of acknowledging somewhere down the line that we'll need a QB.

So for everyone coming out of the wood-works and complaining about this problem it has always been here, just undetectable--like a cancer slowly but surely, and even providing flashes (think not having a back to back winning season) of a disease, making itself known. Now everybody wants to jump on the Jake hate bandwagon? I have always made my hate for Jake known and have concomitantly caught a lot of flack for it, now everyone agrees?

Winning record then ignore QB deficiencies

Losing record then burn Jake at the stake, citing the very reasons for his good play as the same reasons for his bad play

wewww...that felt good

You're wrong. No matter how much evidence to the contrary, Jake haters are saying they saw this all along. You're wrong. Even if the team was in a position to pick up one of the successful QBs of a past few years Jake would have still been the starter and we would have have a 1st or 2nd rounder sitting on the bench this whole time.

You're wrong. No matter how much evidence to the contrary, Jake haters are saying they saw this all along. You're wrong. Even if the team was in a position to pick up one of the successful QBs of a past few years Jake would have still been the starter and we would have have a 1st or 2nd rounder sitting on the bench this whole time.

How is he wrong?

Ive always noticed Jake's faults since 2004. Ive voiced those faults. Though I haven't OFFICIALLY hated him till after last season.

I think you're right though that even if we did pick up a QB, Fox would stick with Jake because of his love fest with him and his inability to develop a QB.

Of course he has had faults, but he also won games. 2009 is the only year that he has been a liability. Anyone who says they saw this coming is simply wrong.

Bullsh*t. I've been calling this since the offseason. I think only the ones with the blinders on or false optimism didn't see this coming.

Jake historically has been an average QB. If you look back at his QB rating he has been in the mid 80's almost every year that he has started in Carolina. Mid 80's = average NFL QB.

A franchise can live with that if they are actively seeking to improve the position. The problem with the Panthers is that they have lived with and babied this average QB for years now without any attempt to get better or younger at the most important position on the field. This season jake is in the low 50's in QB rating and is 33 out of 36. Is it do to age, arm problems, lack of WR's? I don't know the answer but the fact that we have no other options after multiple years of mediocrity at this position is the real problem.

Fire Hurney now and address the QB situation

How is he wrong?

Ive always noticed Jake's faults since 2004. Ive voiced those faults. Though I haven't OFFICIALLY hated him till after last season.

I think you're right though that even if we did pick up a QB, Fox would stick with Jake because of his love fest with him and his inability to develop a QB.

What did you notice in 2004? He had the fourth best passer rating in the league and went to the Pro Bowl WITH STEVE SMITH ON IR. People's view of the past should not be changed by this season. He played fantastic for us in the past... and now has lost whatever magic he had. It is just sad to watch. That TD he gave up yesterday was miserable.

Jake historically has been an average QB. If you look back at his QB rating he has been in the mid 80's almost every year that he has started in Carolina. Mid 80's = average NFL QB.

A franchise can live with that if they are actively seeking to improve the position. The problem with the Panthers is that they have lived with and babied this average QB for years now without any attempt to get better or younger at the most important position on the field. This season jake is in the low 50's in QB rating and is 33 out of 36. Is it do to age, arm problems, lack of WR's? I don't know the answer but the fact that we have no other options after multiple years of mediocrity at this position is the real problem.

Fire Hurney now and address the QB situation

I think you've hit the nail on the head. He's always been average. He had bad games but most of the time the good outweighed the bad. Now the bad is far outweighing the good and we're in serious trouble because Fox and the FO have been too ignorant to address the QB situation.

How is he wrong?

Bullsh*t. I've been calling this since the offseason. I think only the ones with the blinders on or false optimism didn't see this coming.

:thumbsup:

What did you notice in 2004? He had the fourth best passer rating in the league and went to the Pro Bowl WITH STEVE SMITH ON IR. People's view of the past should not be changed by this season. He played fantastic for us in the past... and now has lost whatever magic he had. It is just sad to watch. That TD he gave up yesterday was miserable.

I noticed that his mechanics were not that good. That it would give him problems in the future.

I know because those guys at Green Bay really screwed up when they got Rogers when Favre was firmly the teams QB. QB is the one position I don't want to see play there first year or two in the league.

I have never hated Jake I hate his play. One year I could honestly say he won us most of our games 04 when we were without Smith but he made to the pro-bowl. Since then it has slowly started to turn the other way were the rest of the team have to win in spite of him instead of because of him. This is almost exactly the same situation the Bears where in with Grossman. No matter the evidence to the contrary he kept starting because they got to the SB with him. This is Fox and Hurney going down with the ship. And good riddance if you ask me.

:thumbsup:

Im not sure what you're getting at.

In the first post I was addressing your statement "No matter how much evidence to the contrary, Jake haters are saying they saw this all along."

In the second post I was addressing your statement "Anyone who says they saw this coming is simply wrong."

Ive noticed his bad mechanics all along. After his worst season last year, I knew he was going to be a flop this season.

I noticed that his mechanics were not that good. That it would give him problems in the future.

there are plenty of very successful qb's with bad mechanics. I would even ssay most successful qbs have less than traditional mechanics. Jake is one of them. And I don't think that explains his shitty performances. He is making horrible decisions which is perhaps more troubling.

Archived