• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sharp Objects

Moorgan

Couple of us were talking about it in the "Wire" thread.

This is one of those shows you'll lose everything if you're distracted for a few minutes.Don't know if it's me or what, but it seems I'm having to adjust the volume just so I can hear everything being said. Amy Adams working overtime to get rid of her goodie-2-shoes movie image.

I'm still trying to figure out if Bill Vickery (the sheriff) is that dumb or is he so blinded by his 'adoration' for Adora (see what I did there?) or maybe he's in on it as well.

And where is Gayla (housekeeper) in all this?

I've watched every episode, but the longer it goes on the less I like it. The characters don't feel like they could possibly be real people, they're more like caricatures. 

Gillian Flynn is like the female M. Night Shyamalan; every story has a dumb twist ending. 

Also I want to know how Camille was supposed to have cut those perfectly lettered words into the middle of her back. Did she sit there with a mirror for two hours carving out the word IMPLAUSIBLE into her back? Dumb. 

20 hours ago, PanthersBigD said:

I've watched every episode, but the longer it goes on the less I like it. The characters don't feel like they could possibly be real people, they're more like caricatures. 

Gillian Flynn is like the female M. Night Shyamalan; every story has a dumb twist ending. 

Also I want to know how Camille was supposed to have cut those perfectly lettered words into the middle of her back. Did she sit there with a mirror for two hours carving out the word IMPLAUSIBLE into her back? Dumb. 

I get ya... and I'm beginning to think the same thing- this is not going to end well.

Thinking the same thing. Almost every inch of her body is covered in scars, even in places it would be very difficult to reach or even carve in a straight line.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:11 PM, PanthersBigD said:

Supposedly there were only fifty or so words mentioned in the book so they sat down one day and came up with what would make sense for the rest.  They then had her body double write them on herself and basically copied her body when doing the makeup or whatever was needed for Camille.  That way it would be as realistic as they could get it and it explains the poor formation of certain letter.  There is actually a space on her back where the body double could not reach.

I have basically avoided everything with the exception of one podcast where neither person read the book or knew anything about it.  I love this show and cannot wait for the finale.

I have a theory about it all so stop reading as my explanation might contain spoilers for those that have not watched.

I think that Amma, maybe with Natalie’s help killed Ann and that Amma and Ashley, maybe with help from Joades and the other one, killed Natalie.  Now until this last episode I thought it was Adora, not Ashley that was in on Natalie.  Some Ashley things as well as my belief that the vision of Adora as the woman in white is probably muddying the waters changed my mind.

First: there was talk early on that this was two different killers.  They mentioned it multiple times.  I doubt this means nothing.  The difference in the killings has to be explained.

Natalie’s murder has much more evidence around it.  John has talked about the three girls being friends and about how Natalie injured the one classmate while younger, liked to bite, and would have never painted her nails.  The nails part makes sense coming from Adora, but correct m if I am wrong, I do not remember Ann having painted nails.  Therefore it is likely someone doing it out of hatred as opposed to Adora, who would do it to make her “proper.”

Amma and Ashley both have reasons to hate Natalie.  Amma would be jealous of the attention that Adora paid Ashley (and Ann) while Ashley, who complained this week that John never slept with her, would be jealous of the friendship John and his sister had.

Ann turned up the next day while Natalie turned up several days after her disappearance.  She had to be held somewhere.  Ashley’s pool house makes sense.  It would explain the blood on the floor and bite on Ashley’s ear.

Natalie was clearly planned, precise, premeditated murder.  I believe that Ann was more of a heat of passion, what have I done type thing.  She was not put on display, and it was much more sloppy.  If Camille’s vision is right and Adora was the woman in white then I definitely think it is two killers because I cannot see her killing Ann the way she was killed.

Amma and Natalie are the only two that make sense for me here.  We know they were friends, we know there was a falling out.  Amma indicated this to Camille and Natalie indicated as much on her “friends list.”  Who knows, maybe it mirrors the lesbian murder that was possibly Adora from back in the day.

Even if it was Natalie though, Amma would have to be involved because of the location of the bike.  We got that scene of Camille following Amma to the farm.  A show like this, all scenes mean something, that one was to show her comfort level with the farm and that she came there often.  She could have easily killed Ann and panicked, dumping the bike in a familiar place where she felt safe.

I think that Natalie was either involved with Ann’s death and got cold feet or she found out Amma did it and in either case she became a threat, which led to her death.

I was in favor of Adora being the woman in white and helping in Natalie’s death to protect Amma and that Adora got the worker to say John dropped the bike.  I moved on to Ashley for several reasons though:

-the aforementioned, painting the nails out of hatred
-Amma mentioned something like “I can get girls to do what I want but they hate me after.”  This would fit Ashley in my scenario to a T
-Amma said you can get boys to do what you want if you let them do stuff to you.  This is the worker at the farm that fingered John.  Adora would have been smart enough to pick a night shift person, Amma knows the day shift guys
-Ashley says John would never murder the girls because it would make him popular...this is all she cares about and would also explain why Natalie was put on display
-Natalie was a biter so her teeth were pulled

I also think that the teeth are in Chekov’s Doll House.  There has been too much focus on it and Amma went total bitch face when Camille tried to touch Adora’s room.  The teeth are probably in there, although I hope they are not the actual ivory floor, that might seems silly.

There is one thing that does not fit though.  Why were Ann’s teeth pulled?  Makes me think Natalie was involved somehow in Ann’s death.  I hope not though.  John already lost his poor sister and is arrested for her murder.  If the kid does get out if would suck to find out his dead kid sister was a murderer.

Just as I feared, pretty disappointed with the ending. I had the Munchausen thing down with Adora and I knew Amma and her friends weren't completely innocent in the whole thing, either.

The husband/father actually showed up in the final episode, only as a distraction, which just showed how weak the show's character development of him was.

As if to resolve any doubt, the scene where Camille and Amma went to see Adora in prison and Camille lets Amma go in alone should have told everyone the end of the story... or the beginning.

4 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Just as I feared, pretty disappointed with the ending. I had the Munchausen thing down with Adora and I knew Amma and her friends weren't completely innocent in the whole thing, either.

The husband/father actually showed up in the final episode, only as a distraction, which just showed how weak the show's character development of him was.

As if to resolve any doubt, the scene where Camille and Amma went to see Adora in prison and Camille lets Amma go in alone should have told everyone the end of the story... or the beginning.

There were only two good things about the finale: 1. It was the end of this crappy show 2. The True Detective trailer!!!

My wife raved about the book.  She loves this genre of mystery and violence.  She loved Sharp Objects and the other book about a the woman who faked her kidnapping only the screw with her husband...

So I enjoyed the slow burn aspect, the build up until it all stopped about episode 5-6.  I just wanted to finish it at that point.  I'm not going to pretend that I'm some master at noticing all the bread crumbs, but I was left completely nonplussed by the whole thing.  My wife says "read the book."  She enjoyed the show until the ending, feeling like the conclusion feel flat.

It was a cool idea, but the pacing, plot and characters were pretty terrible, especially at the end of the season.  I'll try reading the book later.  I just can't deal with shows that build you up, then slowly let out the air before quickly throwing a wet, pee smelling towel on you...

I was not a fan of the abrupt ending, most things they did a good job leaving clues so you could deduce them, but there were several things that were left unexplained.  My main issue was the way the murders were so different and it was commented multiple times about it being two killers.  Then the characters basically forgot about it and it was never brought up again by the show.

I am fine with it being the same killer but it is very lazy to bring it up multiple times and then just drop it.  I still very much enjoyed the show but do not feel that they stuck the landing.  It had a shot to be my favorite of ‘18 but I feel that The Americans is still the leader in the clubhouse.  Could be the first time in fifteen years or so that my top show of the year was not an HBO show.

I think that audiences(myself included) are starved for the feeling that True Detective Season One gave them, and this miniseries had a somewhat similar tone, which I think is what I enjoyed about it. 

I felt it was a poorly written screenplay, with a poorly executed finale. The director coming on at the end to pat himself on the back was hilarious as well. Maybe the book was better. 

We were asked to believe that a girl that had been in the hospital numerous times with complications from poisoning could vacillate between sickly child and a killer strong enough to strangle other girls her size, pull their teeth out with pliers and move their bodies. Nah. 

Archived