• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game 1: Hurricanes (0-0-0) vs. Islanders (0-0-0)

MillionDollarCam

So we usually don’t have enough individuals present and wanting to discuss the game to have an individual thread for each Canes games, but I figured we’d give it a go and see how it plays out.

The Canes have a great chance to start the season right against an Islanders team that lacks a lot of talent in their bottom six

Line Up

Ferland - Aho - Teravainen

Foegele - Staal - Williams

McGinn - Necas - Zykov

Martinook - Wallmark - Svechnikov

Slavin - Hamilton

de Haan - Faulk

van Riemsdyk - Pesce 

Mrazek

McElhinney

Scratches: Di Giuseppe and Fleury

Injured Reserve: Darling

Injured Non-Roster: Rask

Interesting seeing Svech on the 4th line.  I think a lot of this is based on a Rivera type veteran favor that Rod will changed when the skilled guys start to earn it.  I am expecting a big bounceback season from Darling and hate to see we'll be without him for a couple weeks, but Mrazek bet on himself in the offseason so hoping to see the same from him.  Very excited to watch this young group.  Bill Peters' Calgary team got rocked last night and Lindholm was -4 so...

7 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

Interesting seeing Svech on the 4th line.  I think a lot of this is based on a Rivera type veteran favor that Rod will changed when the skilled guys start to earn it.  I am expecting a big bounceback season from Darling and hate to see we'll be without him for a couple weeks, but Mrazek bet on himself in the offseason so hoping to see the same from him.  Very excited to watch this young group.  Bill Peters' Calgary team got rocked last night and Lindholm was -4 so...

I saw the Flames got to “Experience Bill Peters hockey” last night. Outshoot your opponent, go 0-7 on the PP, and lose 5-2.

At least they will get to have clean drinking water thanks to Kinetico Bill.

That was such a fluke game and openers can go that way.  NYI was completely dominated.  We outshot them something like 50-20 and it wasn't just firing blindly at the net.  Svechnikov hit 2 posts himself and we had another as well.  That was an easy 4-1 win that we just couldn't get a bounce for.  The officiating was terrible.  Glad we get to shake it off and go back to it tonite.  I'll take the point. 

I was extremely pleased to see a goaltender not fall asleep and make timely saves considering the Canes were dominating the game.  Last year we let in 2-3 goals on the counter attack of a game we're dominating just because.  This team always starts out slow and then has a lot of catching up to do.  I don't see that happening this year. 

Svechnikov will not be on the 4th line for long.  Foegle has a great motor.  Love our roster this year and having Fleury as a healthy scratch on defense is a testament to how truly stacked we are back there.  Hope our goaltending can hold up while Darling recovers and hell I hope Darling can hold up himself/has that bounceback year.

Winning on the road in Columbus is no easy feat.  They have very solid young talent and it's great that we're already right there competing.  Thing is for the past 2 years we've been a good start and some decent goaltending away from a playoff berth.  We have that quick start now.  Gotta build and gotta improve in net (hopefully will come with guys getting healthy)

This team is incredibly fun to watch.  Martinook and Ferland doing the Staalsy get the ugly goals in the trenches is new to this roster and it pairs perfectly with the youth/speed/skill that we've built through the draft.  Look out.

Archived