• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tobacco pipes- anyone smoke them?

Jackofalltrades

Buy a good pipe and a cleaning kit. You have to make sure you keep that thing clean or else you can get some funky tastes after a while. Also, don't skimp on your tobacco and buy something cheap. A good quality tobacco is much more enjoyable than something cheap. I have a couple different pipes, all hand carved because I like the artistry, but my favorite is a churchwarden pipe. It's simple, has a smaller bowl so I don't have to use a lot of tobacco if I don't want to, and provides a nice smoke out on the porch with a scotch or a beer. 

I started with a cheaper tobacco just to give it a trial run and try to figure out the fundamentals. Got the Captain Black Cherry which is something I remember my father smoking from my childhood. It’s an aromatic and the aroma is intoxicating. I’ve cut all sugar from my diet so this is the only sweet taste I get in the course of a day. 

I’ve vaped but this is what I’d assume it’s like. It’s very light, very aromatic and the tobacco doesn’t affect me at all, even on an empty stomach. I have some mild cigars that’ll damn near knock me out on an empty stomach. I don’t find this very fulfilling though, so I’ll try a stronger blend and see what shakes out. 

I’m curious is the sweetness of tobacco can trigger an insulin secretion, if so I’ll have to steer away from the sweeter stuff. 

57D6B033-D912-4C9B-B334-4DA6516AC49E.jpeg

B8241799-4BE8-4A4A-8C58-F694344F4FFA.jpeg

B405A0BE-9781-49F3-AAC8-6B0374C50ECE.jpeg

7 hours ago, PhillyB said:

it's a giant pain in the ass and i'd rather smoke cigars, but the packing ritual can be relaxing if you get the hang of it. my grandfather gave me a meerschaum pipe from the late 1800s so i do it the occasional justice.

Packing is the big mystery so far, frequent relights and untouched tobacco in the bottom of the bowl when some are two things I’m trying to sort out. 

On 12/10/2018 at 3:50 AM, GoPanthers123 said:

For specifics head to smokingpipes.com and try out 1 oz bulk samples they are super cheap $ 2-4 per oz.  Stuff like Balkan Supreme, 965 Match, Engine 99, Super Balkan, Father dempsey or Aromatic English.    For good virginia-based try luxury bullseye flake.

Will do, thanks!

Archived