• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bench: I’m going to keep Will Grier safe

therealmjl

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I will argue that all day long. It was a third round pick. He is SUPPOSED to be a backup. You keep backups because people get injured or miss games or get thrown in when you are mopping the floor with the opponent. That is like saying because someone has never missed a game, you should never have a back up on the roster because they never miss games. That's just crazy talk.

A backup in Round 3 when we have other issues and a closing window is a wasted pick.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I will argue that all day long. It was a third round pick. He is SUPPOSED to be a backup. You keep backups because people get injured or miss games or get thrown in when you are mopping the floor with the opponent. That is like saying because someone has never missed a game, you should never have a back up on the roster because they never miss games. That's just crazy talk.

Bingo.

If a guy serves as a good, serviceable backup, that's a success. Not sure why anybody would see that as a problem.

Just now, Michaelinraleigh said:

But what if he's better?

Jake was unproven but it was clear from day 1 of camp he was better than Peete.

Took us getting down to the Jags for people to wake up.

Pump the brakes. 

Cam Newton is not Rodney Peete.

6 minutes ago, mjligon said:

A backup in Round 3 when we have other issues and a closing window is a wasted pick.

Rivera and Hurney have stated that they only saw three positions as being "need" positions going into the draft. They chose those three positions with their first three picks. and yes, backup quarterback was one of them.

Given how our season went last year, it's a perfectly reasonable choice to make. You could easily have argued for taking one even higher than that, but that's not the choice they made.

Frankly, I'm not a big proponent of that methodology, but the picks have been made and here we are. There's no do-overs. So as in the past, I'm going to hope that these picks succeed whether I agreed with them or not.

You?

4 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Pump the brakes. 

Cam Newton is not Rodney Peete.

He asked "what if"? Kuhndog asked you the same thing. You haven't answered.

So just to be clear, even if it did turn out Grier was better, you still don't want him playing?

And don't answer "Grier's not better" because it's a hypothetical question, and you're ducking it. And that makes you look like you're saying exactly what you claim you're not saying.

17 minutes ago, mjligon said:

I know you’re some obsessed WVU fanboy of Grier, but I don’t care if he sucks or succeeds. I don’t ever want to see him take the field this season or next, or really in the next 5 years if Cam Newton is back to his normal healthy self. 

So then, it’s a wasted draft pick if the above comes to fruition. There is no arguing that a backup who will never see the field in 5 years is a waste when we have a plethora of other holes on this roster.

You’re right...there is no arguing that using a 3rd round pick on any player who doesn’t play a single snap through the entirety of his contract is a complete waste. But that’s one hell of a claim...the real argument is about whether or not he WILL ultimately end up seeing the field. The value of the pick is completely contingent upon that happening or not. Arguing about it being a wasted pick NOW, is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He asked "what if"? Kuhndog asked you the same thing. You haven't answered.

So just to be clear, even if it did turn out Grier was better, you still don't want him playing?

And don't answer "Grier's not better" because it's a hypothetical question, and you're ducking it. And that makes you look like you're saying exactly what you claim you're not saying.

Why are we discussing hypotheticals again? I’m speaking realistically- we had other holes than backup QB that could have been addressed with a 3rd round pick.

Speaking if hypotheticals, it’s going to be great to see all the stud DBs, WRs, DL, etc that were picked right after 100 when we look back on this draft next season.

Meanwhile, we got a nice backup!

This thread really took off.

i made it as a joke in mockery of the Greg Little keeping Cam safe. But yeah if y’all want to turn it into a QBvQB battle we can do that too.

But I got stuff to do today and will get back to you. Thx.

Archived