• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bench: I’m going to keep Will Grier safe

therealmjl

The guy has good measurables, and he's the one that our OC and QB coach wanted. I personally think he looks/dresses like one of those closeted, evangelical youth pastors, but I'm going to reserve judgement on his play until he's had a chance to have some pro coaching. 

He's at least as good as any of the journeymen 2nd string QBs out there, and at a way better price. 

Why is quarterback the one position where so many of you don’t seem to care about depth? At any other position, if we were to suffer an injury without an adequate replacement, everyone would chew out the GM for not having good depth.

I get that we’ve been spoiled by having Superman on our team...but we have to accept the realistic possibility that Cam is mortal now. I know instant gratification is cool and all, but being prepared for the future is pretty cool too.

In all seriousness, the bravado from people like OP is really misguided. No need to feel threatened because we finally have a good backup QB. In fact, if you're a Panthers fan, you should be glad we have a rookie with a solid resume under his belt to spell Cam if needed. All kinda depends on if you hope the Panthers lose if Cam gets hurt. Some feel that way, so it makes sense to buck up and take out their frustrations on a kid who looked up to Cam just like many players his age.

The reality is Grier was an extremely smart pick. Cams play in the last half of 2018 was pretty bad and he's injured the same throwing shoulder 2x in 3 seasons. In a best case senario Cam comes back healthy and Grier is just there for emergency. In worst case Cam isn't 100% or not performing up to par then we actually have a decent QB to come in to replace him. 

I'm thinking hes going to get a bunch of playing time this pre season, I doubt they want to risk anything with Cam and Norv probably immediately wants to see what he has in his newly drafted QB.  Kyle Allen/Hieneke showed their stuff last pre season and last game of the season so there is much less incentive to give them much playing time this pre-season. 

Its going to pretty interesting to see how the fans react to it if Grier starts shredding it up in pre season. I could easily see some people start to get restless if Cam doesn't come out strong out of the gate vs the Rams. 

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

In all seriousness, the bravado from people like OP is really misguided. No need to feel threatened because we finally have a good backup QB. In fact, if you're a Panthers fan, you should be glad we have a rookie with a solid resume under his belt to spell Cam if needed. All kinda depends on if you hope the Panthers lose if Cam gets hurt. Some feel that way, so it makes sense to buck up and take out their frustrations on a kid who looked up to Cam just like many players his age.

No, the issue is going to be having to deal with the misguided inbred idiot fanbase that was already wanting to bench Cam for Henicke, DA, etc.

Just now, mjligon said:

No, the issue is going to be having to deal with the misguided inbred idiot fanbase that was already wanting to bench Cam for Henicke, DA, etc.

Just wait until Cam has a bad game during the regular season....

1 minute ago, mjligon said:

That's always going to happen with every team. The backup QB is gonna be popular. Has no bearing on the starter. Picking a backup QB with what's essentially an early fourth-round pick is not stupid when the only other QBs are unproven UDFAs who didn't survive an entire game, let alone a season.

Archived