• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My tribute to 59

ellis

Going to be interesting just how bad this defense is going to be without him. I have a suspicion a lot of players took him for granted and it enabled them to slack off, physically or mentally.

Personally I think Peppers is the best player in franchise history. But Luke is easily tied with Smitty for second place imo.

32 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Going to be interesting just how bad this defense is going to be without him. I have a suspicion a lot of players took him for granted and it enabled them to slack off, physically or mentally.

Personally I think Peppers is the best player in franchise history. But Luke is easily tied with Smitty for second place imo.

Tough call.   What made them GOAT was a different configuration.  Peppers more physical talent and Luke more  between the shoulders.  I mean both had both to their game but the percentages weren’t the same. 

I agree those are the 2 best actual football players 

89 and Cam just more enjoyable to watch because of position (coming at 3 and 4)

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tough call.   What made them GOAT was a different configuration.  Peppers more physical talent and Luke more  between the shoulders.  I mean both had both to their game but the percentages weren’t the same. 

I agree those are the 2 best actual football players 

89 and Cam just more enjoyable to watch because of position (coming at 3 and 4)

Agreed. I think longevity gave Peppers the edge for me. He’s simply one of the best ever in the history of the NFL not just the franchise. Luke was also but was short lived...if Luke played even just 5 more years it’d be really tough to say. I don’t think think Peppers had a passion and love for the game like Luke.

Smitty is a player that you’d have to consider things like his size and who he had throwing him the ball to give him the edge but he wasn’t quite the best in NFL history, just the franchise. 

Cam is fun to watch and is hard to judge. A great player and athlete but you have to consider his position as well. Is he the best rushing QB? He’s close. But how much of that really matters at QB? if he coverts to more of a skilled passer for the next 10 years who knows.

I think Luke is the closest we’ve had to physical talent and passion for the game. He wasn’t a freak like Peppers though. It’s weird how we either got one or the other...a passion or a physical freak. Ideally you want a player like Peppers with the passion and mentality of Luke or Smitty. Then you get players like Taylor/Lewis or Reggie white.

All things considered though, have to stick with Peppers.

18 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I think Luke is the closest we’ve had to physical talent and passion for the game. He wasn’t a freak like Peppers though. It’s weird how we either got one or the other...a passion or a physical freak. Ideally you want a player like Peppers with the passion and mentality of Luke or Smitty. Then you get players like Taylor/Lewis or Reggie white.

All things considered though, have to stick with Peppers.

Luke was every bit the physical freak Peppers was. Just a few inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter. 6’3 240 with a 4.5 40, 27 reps on the bench press and a 38 in vertical. You could put Luke in an NBA combine and he would hold his own

Archived