• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Remedy for Skunk Spray

rayzor

So I live way out in the middle of nowhere. We've got 40 acres so we got a lot of wildlife that live here and around us.

Apparently this is skunk mating season so they are out more, as my dog discovered a few days ago.

This wasn't the first time I've had to deal with skunk spray. I'm not sure how many times I've dealt with it, every dog we've had our here has gotten sprayed at least once so we've done some experimenting.

First....tomato juice doesn't work too well. Just forget that one. This last one was the most successful.

In a bucket mix:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide

1 cup baking soda

Few tablespoons of Dawn dish soap (I actually just squirt a bunch in) 

About a quarter cup vinegar (doesn't matter what kind I don't guess, I used apple cider vinegar)

After you've got it mixed up use some rubber gloves, mix up the solution. Grab a big sponge like you'd use to wash your car and soak your dog. Make sure to get it on the face. Then let it sit for about 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes, do it again. Don't rinse it off. Just let it soak in. 

After another 5 minutes do it again and wait another 5 minutes. 

After that 3td time, rinse it off then use a dog shampoo, preferably with baking soda in it, and give the dog a good wash and rinse it real good. dryit off a little with an old towel then let it airdry outside the rest of the way.

Now keep in mind that for a couple days there will be a faint skunk smell, but it's not too bad. If the dog gets wet a little the smell will probably get stronger but still it will go away when it dries.

By the way, I couldn't catch my dog until the morning to wash it and it did ok. I've heard you need to do it quickly and usually did, but sometimes you just have to let the dog deal with the smell for a while. Thee benefit there is the smell won't be as harsh the next day, which makes it easier to get up close and wash it, plus it gives the dog some time to sit and ponder why chasing a skunk wasn't such a good idea. 

Ran over a dead skunk at highway speed in Illinois about 10 years ago. Unbelievable how the smell permeated the vehicle with that short quick contact. When we got to our destination about 80 miles later, our buddy said "What'd you do, run over a skunk?" Lol. Hope to never have to deal with skunks like you did.

Gotta be honest here....

One of the best clogged drain remedies out there is baking soda packed into the drain opening (1/2 cup) and then slowly pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar over the top and leave it for 5 minutes. Watch the chemical reaction, but try not to inhale the stuff.

I don't know that I'd mix baking soda and vinegar and put it on my dog. I know there's other stuff in the mix, but...

8 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Gotta be honest here....

One of the best clogged drain remedies out there is baking soda packed into the drain opening (1/2 cup) and then slowly pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar over the top and leave it for 5 minutes. Watch the chemical reaction, but try not to inhale the stuff.

I don't know that I'd mix baking soda and vinegar and put it on my dog. I know there's other stuff in the mix, but...

It worked and she was fine. 

Archived