• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No Cap next year??

Guest DrewBreesIsGod

Guest DrewBreesIsGod

I have to ask because I don't understand it's impact on the NFL. Supposedly with the collective bargaining agreement expiring, the NFL is set to have next year without a salary cap limit. First of all, does anyone know if this is true? Secondly, how does it affect teams for a 1 year period?

Guest DrewBreesIsGod

its true.. this is what we do know.

The top eight playoff finishers from the previous season would be allowed to sign free agents only at the rate at which they lose them.

• Players would need six NFL seasons to be eligible for free agency, rather than four.

Wow, weird rules. So if a player is eligible for free agency, they can sign for whatever the market wants to pay and the team has no cap for that year? I know a big FA signing wouldn't impact caps next year, but what about years after that? Man it's bizarre.

Guest DrewBreesIsGod

Also teams have 2 franchise tags instead of just one.

wow, there are gonna be some pissed off players who get the franchise tag slapped on them....

Wow, weird rules. So if a player is eligible for free agency, they can sign for whatever the market wants to pay and the team has no cap for that year? I know a big FA signing wouldn't impact caps next year, but what about years after that? Man it's bizarre.

There wont be alot of movement next offseason, what your team looks like minus the draft now is pretty much what it will look like next season as well. Players to be eligible have to have played 6 years, plus the teams have an extra tag to use.

Also the playoff teams can't sign anyplayers till they officially lose a player.

There are also FA signing rules for Winning record teams, that limit them to 3 FA signings till they lose a FA.

Losing teams I believe have no cap on FA signings.

also Teams would be able to dump crazy contracts they don’t want without suffering the regular salary-cap ramifications(ex.vy or russell).wealthy owners would be forced to sign second class free agents to top deals.the talent pool would be already diluted.

It also means lost of underclassmen will be coming out the draft.

I heard a commentary on Sirius this morning which suggested the players want to get a deal before spring of 2010 as they really don't want an uncapped year. The owners see the deadline as being 2011 when the CBA expires and don't mind an uncapped year as much. Seems the poison pills may hurt the players more than the owners at this point. At least that is the speculation by one person in the know at this point.

Yea the poison pills are going to hurt the players a bunch, already are really. The haynesworth contract comes to mind. The skins betting on next year being uncapped and his deal only being a 4 year deal (last three years won't be seen, because of a poision pill in the contract), with most of the money due this year and next year.

There wont be alot of movement next offseason, what your team looks like minus the draft now is pretty much what it will look like next season as well. Players to be eligible have to have played 6 years, plus the teams have an extra tag to use.

Also the playoff teams can't sign anyplayers till they officially lose a player.

There are also FA signing rules for Winning record teams, that limit them to 3 FA signings till they lose a FA.

Losing teams I believe have no cap on FA signings.

Hmm. Maybe this is what Dan Snyder is up to?

Secondly, how does it affect teams for a 1 year period?

thats the problem. it won't be one year. If it is uncapped and players sign either 1) enormous deals or 2) just get rediculous signing bonuses, the NFLPA will never agree to go back and limit the money given out. once the uncapped year is here, its here to stay. so one year won't make much difference, but it will change everything if no deal gets signed

Archived