• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For everyone already wringing their hands over losing Joe Brady to a HCing job...

1of10Charnatives

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

A thousand ghosts of Head Coaching careers that died in Cleveland cry out their warning.

"Foolish Mortal"

They didn't have what it takes. They were frauds. 

No highly regarded elite HC prospect assumes, thinks or expects them to be failures and frauds. 

2 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

They didn't have what it takes. They were frauds. 

No highly regarded elite HC prospect assumes, thinks or expects them to be failures and frauds. 

I'm saying I think there are places where the organizational culture is so bad, no coach could turn it around. But many coaching candidates get lured into a lust for glory thinking "I can be the guy who turns Cleveland/Miami/Jets around. Then my brilliance will be obvious to everyone." A season and a half later they are out of a job and wondering how their career prospects got so bleak so fast.

I hope that Brady is smarter than to follow this path, because odds are very high it is the first one that will be offered to him. If he is smart he will bide his time and learn and wait for the right situation.

10 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I'm saying I think there are places where the organizational culture is so bad, no coach could turn it around. But many coaching candidates get lured into a lust for glory thinking "I can be the guy who turns Cleveland/Miami/Jets around. Then my brilliance will be obvious to everyone." A season and a half later they are out of a job and wondering how their career prospects got so bleak so fast.

I hope that Brady is smarter than to follow this path, because odds are very high it is the first one that will be offered to him. If he is smart he will bide his time and learn and wait for the right situation.

If Joe Brady is smart he will

1) Wait to see which team gets the number 1 pick in the draft (TLawrence time) 

2) Make that team / owner give him a Rhule type deal (6+ year deal) 

3) Make that team / owner give him GM control (or bring in his own GM) 

4) Make that team / owner give him the resources needed to hire the best staff possible

5) Go out and get the best possible elite football minds to be his coordinators 

1 minute ago, Agent Blue said:

If Joe Brady is smart he will

1) Wait to see which team gets the number 1 pick in the draft (TLawrence time) 

2) Make that team / owner give him a Rhule type deal (6+ year deal) 

3) Make that team / owner give him GM control (or bring in his own GM) 

4) Make that team / owner give him the resources needed to hire the best staff possible

5) Go out and get the best possible elite football minds to be his coordinators 

If Joe Brady is smart, he will not take a HC job this coming offseason.

Regarding 3) For people not named Bill Bellicheck, having GM authority when serving as the HC has almost never turned out well. It's just too much responsibility for any one person to manage, especially a barely into his 30's wunderkind. Why would people think that just because someone is an offensive guru, they are also automatically some kind of personnel guru? They are two different skill sets.

4) & 5) Does any newly hired HC not think he's doing this every single time given who's available?

3 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

If Joe Brady is smart, he will not take a HC job this coming offseason.

Regarding 3) For people not named Bill Bellicheck, having GM authority when serving as the HC has almost never turned out well. It's just too much responsibility for any one person to manage, especially a barely into his 30's wunderkind. Why would people think that just because someone is an offensive guru, they are also automatically some kind of personnel guru? They are two different skill sets.

4) & 5) Does any newly hired HC not think he's doing this every single time given who's available?

What is stopping Brady from hiring an assistant GM to do all the leg work? 

You don't want to be a HC and have your GM trade away your best player for peanuts or not go out and get players you need and want in FA. 

You don't always need to be a personnel guru to know good and dumb GM moves. 

HCs often times hire guys within their tree or that they have connections to that are not clearly the best coach available. 

No one in their right mind could have possibly thought Shula was the best coach available or an elite offensive mind. 

7 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

What is stopping Brady from hiring an assistant GM to do all the leg work? 

You don't want to be a HC and have your GM trade away your best player for peanuts or not go out and get players you need and want in FA. 

You don't always need to be a personnel guru to know good and dumb GM moves. 

HCs often times hire guys within their tree or that they have connections to that are not clearly the best coach available. 

No one in their right mind could have possibly thought Shula was the best coach available or an elite offensive mind. 

1) If it was as simple as that and that approach worked, you'd see it all over the NFL as I can assure you more than one or two HC's would like to have more control over personnel moves.  Being GM means you have to be the one making the key decisions, and to be able to make those decisions well, you need to be informed to a level beyond having some guy do most of your job for you and then feed you cliff's notes that you base your decisions off of.

2) Is this second thing really a thing that happens outside of the handful of known perennial awful franchises?

3) I sincerely hope you don't, but you do need to know more than the average message board poster or you wind up being Bill O Brien in Houston.

4) True, but not a smart move. This is what I thought was happening with Rhule bringing Snow with him. Starting to look like Snow's just good at what he does. At any rate I will grant you that coaches are often too subjective in their hiring for reasons not based entirely on merit.

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Hell even the GOAT BB couldn't win in Cleveland.  Some curses just can't be overcome.

8 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

1) If it was as simple as that and that approach worked, you'd see it all over the NFL as I can assure you more than one or two HC's would like to have more control over personnel moves.  Being GM means you have to be the one making the key decisions, and to be able to make those decisions well, you need to be informed to a level beyond having some guy do most of your job for you and then feed you cliff's notes that you base your decisions off of.

2) Is this second thing really a thing that happens outside of the handful of known perennial awful franchises?

3) I sincerely hope you don't, but you do need to know more than the average message board poster or you wind up being Bill O Brien in Houston.

4) True, but not a smart move. This is what I thought was happening with Rhule bringing Snow with him. Starting to look like Snow's just good at what he does. At any rate I will grant you that coaches are often too subjective in their hiring for reasons not based entirely on merit.

I am not telling you it would work or wouldn't work. I know it can work, just as it can fail. 

I am just saying, all coaches would want some say in personnel moves. 

Ideally, if I am a HC, I will want to hire my own GM. Someone that has worked under a great GM or who has a proven track record of success. I want a guy with the same vision as me. 

Absolutely coaches make less than stellar coordinator hires every year not based on merit. Which I understand some of it ie I got you this job and now I need you to give my guy a job. However, if it was me, I would stick to the non DC/OC coaches for those type hires and for DC/OC hires go with absolute best available. I think all position coaches should go be OC/DC at college to show and prove they are skilled at calling plays. Then come back to the NFL. 

Archived