• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fields/Wilson

jb2288

3 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

If you need any player to "single handedly win you a game when it's needed most" ie playoffs or playoff implication game, then you have already lost at the NFL level. Teams win games. No one player can do it on their own. 

See: Sanders, Barry: Greatest RB of all time stuck on a perpetually craptacular team.

Roughly half of NFL games are decided by 8 points or less. While no one player can win you a football game, that's why the "it factor" is so important with QBs. You need a guy who will reliably be at his best when it matters the most. Jake was a fairly average QB, but he had the "it factor". So far, Teddy has shown not to have "it".

2 hours ago, Varking said:

I think what he is looking for is a QB with the ability to take over a game and elevate the talent around him on offense to pick up a struggling defense. There are plenty of QBs who can do that in the NFL. We don’t have that currently. We saw Mahomes do it this past playoff year where his team was down in basically every game and he stormed a comeback. We have seen Brady get locked in and take over a game. We have seen Nick Foles do it. If there was a such thing as a Playoff Teddy I’d love to see it. 

Everyone wants this, but at any given time there are MAYBE a handful of qb's active in the league who can do it. Out of a league of 32 teams. Not only are your odds long of acquiring one, but look at the handful who presently fit into this category and tell me which ones were drafted at the very top of the draft? 

Bottom line, yes, everyone wants this qb, but the odds are not only long, there is a ton of luck involved, so insisting you MUST build your team around acquiring one of these is like insisting the only way to get rich is to win the lottery.  

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Roughly half of NFL games are decided by 8 points or less. While no one player can win you a football game, that's why the "it factor" is so important with QBs. You need a guy who will reliably be at his best when it matters the most. Jake was a fairly average QB, but he had the "it factor". So far, Teddy has shown not to have "it".

Teddy has shown he cannot overcome a craptacular OL to throw game winning bombs while running for his life.

So sue him. 

One player does not a game win. Yes I'm aware of crunch time and wanting a qb who plays well in those circumstances. Jake was able to do it because he had a solid line to pay behind and an all world receiver to throw the ball to, not to mention a solid D that kept that average qb in the game. Side note: Jake also failed to excel at crunch time on plenty of occasions, but observation bias means people tend not to remember those times as well.

I am neither particularly for Teddy nor particularly against, but this argument that he should be discarded because he can't do things that maybe 5 players in the whole game can do is absurd. Set the bar somewhere in reality. I know that is not really the Huddle's thing, but in this case it's just nonsense.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Teddy has shown he cannot overcome a craptacular OL to throw game winning bombs while running for his life.

So sue him. 

One player does not a game win. Yes I'm aware of crunch time and wanting a qb who plays well in those circumstances. Jake was able to do it because he had a solid line to pay behind and an all world receiver to throw the ball to, not to mention a solid D that kept that average qb in the game.

I am neither particularly for Teddy nor particularly against, but this argument that he should be discarded because he can't do things that maybe 5 players in the whole game can do is absurd. Set the bar somewhere in reality. I know that is not really the Huddle's thing, but in this case it's just nonsense.

Does the OL change in crunch time? It's the same OL all game long. Teddy himself looks worse in crunch time. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Does the OL change in crunch time? It's the same OL all game long. Teddy himself looks worse in crunch time. 

Many qb's do not look great all the time in uphill circumstances. I know you know how the playbook changes under those circumstances and how it allows the d to pin it's ears. I'm not arguing that Teddy is or would be a world beater. I'm just tired of watching our qb, whether it be Teddy, Cam, Kyle Allen, or whatever guy we signed off the street, have less than 2 seconds from the snap before he either gets hit or has to run, and people on here jumping to blame said qb. Please name for me the critical drive any time in recent memory when ANY qb under center for us has had decent pass pro and time to throw?

They never do, and until that changes, who is under center for us is not likely to matter much. 

Which thing do you think is easier to accomplish based on existing evidence?

A) Pull one of these rare, hard to find and even harder to predict qb's with this mythical ability to overcome all out of the draft or

B) Just fix the damn oline so that whoever is back there doesn't have to be the second coming?

4 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Many qb's do not look great all the time in uphill circumstances. I know you know how the playbook changes under those circumstances and how it allows the d to pin it's ears. I'm not arguing that Teddy is or would be a world beater. I'm just tired of watching our qb, whether it be Teddy, Cam, Kyle Allen, or whatever guy we signed off the street, have less than 2 seconds from the snap before he either gets hit or has to run, and people on here jumping to blame said qb. Please name for me the critical drive any time in recent memory when ANY qb under center for us has had decent pass pro and time to throw?

They never do, and until that changes, who is under center for us is not likely to matter much. 

Which thing do you think is easier to accomplish based on existing evidence?

A) Pull one of these rare, hard to find and even harder to predict qb's with this mythical ability to overcome all out of the draft or

B) Just fix the damn oline so that whoever is back there doesn't have to be the second coming?

I definitely agree with you that we need to put more resources into the OL. It begins with re-signing Moton IMO. The OL and secondary are two key areas that the Panthers have historically under-invested in.

"I see we've reached the rationalizing point in the post game loss cycle where we get to hear about what a "workmanlike" performance Bridgewater had 

This is usually the point he goes out and check downs his way to another Almost Had It

It's a double edge sword really

Having an even worse QB out for the game will help solidify out positioning as we gun for an actual franchise QB, but then again people need to see Bridgewater's mediocrity so the "he's an efficient manager of the football" dorks will stick their head out and we can name and shame them.

Archived