• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bruce Feldman's Mock plus coaches' comments

ladypanther

https://theathletic.com/2432260/2021/03/09/2021-nfl-mock-draft-bruce-feldman-coaching-insider-first-round-picks/

8. Carolina Panthers: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

If the Falcons take Lance instead of Fields, I think the Buckeyes quarterback would end up here, but I don’t think Atlanta passes on Fields. Lance’s rise was one of the more fascinating stories in college football the past year — of a Minnesota native who Big Ten schools barely looked at and was viewed as a safety or linebacker prospect. Lance ended up at FCS powerhouse North Dakota State and put together a remarkable first season, with a staggering 28-to-0 TD-to-INT margin while helping the Bison achieve the first 16-0 finish in college football since 1894. Lance only got to play one game in 2020 and threw his first pick in a win over Central Arkansas.

The Coaching Intel

“On film, you don’t realize how big he is because he is so athletic. He was much bigger than we thought he was. That size, athleticism and arm are so rare at this level. He broke some runs on us where he’d break tackles, push the pile. One play, we had one of the best athletes we had come free on a blitz, and he makes him miss and throws a perfect ball on a dig to pick up the first down.

“I think the one thing people can question is how well is he as a true pocket QB? When they played that game (vs. Central Arkansas) in 2020, he struggled some, and you wanted him trying to impress people. Was he pressing? Are they running a different system for this game?”

“This kid is whole other-level special. He has all the physical tools. Nothing phases him, and I think he’s a fierce competitor. He finds ways to make plays. He’s a big, strong kid who is hard to tackle and can make you miss in space. He’s extremely well-coached. You never saw just bad throws; most of them were where his guys are getting it right in stride.

“We’d go into it thinking what else can we do after other stuff we did didn’t work? We thought we’d trick him, and then he’d figure it out and throw a strike for a 12-yard catch on third down.”

• Pie 4

10 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Rob Rang's comparison was none other than Cam Newton 

Cam is taller, bigger, had a stronger arm, trucked defenders, ran by defenders but was wildly inconsistent throwing the ball. 

I don’t know if Lance would have a better 40 time but I know he’s not as big, strong or as fast as Cam. I just don’t see the comparison.