• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafting a QB in Round 1: Why we won't do it

MHS831

Reason?  We have a young QB now, and if somehow QBs are on the board when we pick, the offers will roll in.  To illustrate this point, I offer the literates amongst us a rather lengthy, introspective dramatization (the rest of you, the ones that used to count the pages in a chapter that was assigned to you to read in school and got that look on your face, the same look you had when Mom served liver, can just wait for the movie, because cow organs and words betray your taste):

So we are sitting there watching the draft, adrenaline running through our legs as the Lions select, with the 7th overall pick, "Chris Farley, CB UVa"  (They are the Lions for a reason, folks).   Now the Panthers are up, you look at your board, and you see Slater and Darrisaw (OTs), Smith and Waddle (WRs) and Fields and Lance (QBs) sitting there.  Holy smokes!!! Your first impulse is to RUN to your TV-turned-podium-hand your wife-turned-Roger Goodell your pick, and start hugging the cat-turned-cat.

I would say that most of us would have taken a QB there. "You can't have too many QBs, right?"  Actually, most teams don't have a QB controversy.  The ideal situation is a starter and a competent, supportive backup who understands his role.  Competition, like they had in Philadelphia, to some degree, is problematic--if not for the players and coaches, but for the fans.  Every interception, every fumble, etc. causes drama.  Most coaches have enough pressure as it is, which is why most QB competitions are short lived.

The Panthers made the decision to trade for Darnold after doing due diligence. The Darnold we know is the worst of Sam Darnold who had to perform in the worst of conditions on every front--NY Fans, Worst NFL Coach EVER, Terrible line, no weapons you have ever heard of.   To me, the move was brilliant.  Yes, there is a chance Sam is simply a bust.  But look at QBs who struggled early on bad teams and were reborn instantly with a change of some sort---Alex Smith sucked his first few years,  Tanneyhill sucked under the same bad coach, etc.  We have Brady.

So why would you draft a developmental QB and have a competition while you are trying to revitalize Darnold?  That makes no damn sense.  Two projects are not better than one.  No, we made our decision, but it does make sense to add a quality backup QB who can also help Darnold.  Trask maybe?  A veteran Free Agent?

Back to your living room.  "The Lions select...Chris Farley, CB, UVa"  Your phone Rings.  It is Marty Hurney.  He wants to make you an offer...2021 first, second, and the 2022 first and third.   You remember that we have multiple needs.  You consider how awesome we'd be if we just took Waddle.  How protected Darnold would be if we drafted Slater.   You have just been offered an extra 2nd in 2021 and you have now been reimbursed for the Darnold Trade (and then some) all for moving back 11 spots in the draft.

I would love Waddle.  I would love Slater.  But I see the depth at some positions in this draft and I make this trade.  I let Fields go to the WFT and focus on Sam, and I get three picks (2 day 2 picks and a first) to do so.  

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 6

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Back to your living room.  "The Lions select...Chris Farley, CB, UVa"  Your phone Rings.  It is Marty Hurney.  He wants to make you an offer...2021 first, second, and the 2022 first and third.   You remember that we have multiple needs.  You consider how awesome we'd be if we just took Waddle.  How protected Darnold would be if we drafted Slater.   You have just been offered an extra 2nd in 2021 and you have now been reimbursed for the Darnold Trade (and then some) all for moving back 11 spots in the draft.

I would love Waddle.  I would love Slater.  But I see the depth at some positions in this draft and I make this trade.  I let Fields go to the WFT and focus on Sam, and I get three picks (2 day 2 picks and a first) to do so.  

Thats a good trade however the 2nd tier of tackles after Slater and Sewell all have some big question marks.  I am almost simply inclined to flip picks with the Broncos if they wanted for whatever we could get and still pick what LT was there between Sewell or slater.  Both of those guys are draft, plug in the lineup and forget for a decade

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats a good trade however the 2nd tier of tackles after Slater and Sewell all have some big question marks.  I am almost simply inclined to flip picks with the Broncos if they wanted for whatever we could get and still pick what LT was there between Sewell or slater.  Both of those guys are draft, plug in the lineup and forget for a decade

Sure.  I get that 100%.  There is no gain without a cost, but my point was simply to have some fun with the fact that there is no real benefit to drafting a top QB right now--with the rumors of the WFT trade up and the Panther connection. 

I am not sure that we would take Slater over Waddle.  I think you (and I have the same issue) are so focused on LT that we are not considering what the tea leaves might be telling us.

What did we do to replace Samuel?  We did not try to keep him (aggressively, anyway) and we signed a 400 yard (best year) WR from Seattle--that is getting worse at WR, and with 2 WRs who could be free agents in 2022, I think it is a bigger concern than we realize.

I am not 100% sure that we are going to prioritize LT like we hoped.  Erving can't be the solution, but is he a bridge because we know we are going to grab a developmental T later?  They were at the SR bowl, fwiw, and there were quite a few OTs there who are not projected as first rounders. 

I am never right about these things, but it is fun analyzing them.

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Back to your living room.  "The Lions select...Chris Farley, CB, UVa"  Your phone Rings.  It is Marty Hurney.  He wants to make you an offer...2021 first, second, and the 2022 first and third.   

This seems a little unbalanced in our favor.  Throw in Teddy and we can feel better for having done the right thing for our old friend Marty.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

This!

I get the need for LT---I really do.  I want a plug and play LT--but I am trying to figure out what we will do--by reading the coffee grounds (we don't have tea leaves here.)  I see, at the bottom of my morning joe--SLOT WR or PItts.  What do I want to see?  SEWELL.🤔

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Sure.  I get that 100%.  There is no gain without a cost, but my point was simply to have some fun with the fact that there is no real benefit to drafting a top QB right now--with the rumors of the WFT trade up and the Panther connection. 

I am not sure that we would take Slater over Waddle.  I think you (and I have the same issue) are so focused on LT that we are not considering what the tea leaves might be telling us.

What did we do to replace Samuel?  We did not try to keep him (aggressively, anyway) and we signed a 400 yard (best year) WR from Seattle--that is getting worse at WR, and with 2 WRs who could be free agents in 2022, I think it is a bigger concern than we realize.

I am not 100% sure that we are going to prioritize LT like we hoped.  Erving can't be the solution, but is he a bridge because we know we are going to grab a developmental T later?  They were at the SR bowl, fwiw, and there were quite a few OTs there who are not projected as first rounders. 

I am never right about these things, but it is fun analyzing them.

Speed guys in the mold of samuel and waddle are infinitely easier to find than a 10 year LT.    But yeah I agree with you otherwise, we aint picking a qb in the first

1 minute ago, bythenbrs said:

This seems a little unbalanced in our favor.  Throw in Teddy and we can feel better for having done the right thing for our old friend Marty.

I heard they were talking about a Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams trade, so I got greedy.  Technically, their first second and third is about even.

• Pie 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

I get the need for LT---I really do.  I want a plug and play LT--but I am trying to figure out what we will do--by reading the coffee grounds (we don't have tea leaves here.)  I see, at the bottom of my morning joe--SLOT WR or PItts.  What do I want to see?  SEWELL.🤔

I wouldnt be as upset with pitts (although he aint falling to 8 ) but I would lose my mind if we selected Waddle over Slater.  Which I really doubt happens.  No need for Fit to get cute and do any trade downs his first. 

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Speed guys in the mold of samuel and waddle are infinitely easier to find than a 10 year LT.    But yeah I agree with you otherwise, we aint picking a qb in the first

And I agree with you that I want an OT----however, Pitts, Chase, Waddle, and Smith are scary good--I am simply trying to guess what they are thinking--I know what I am thinking--OT.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I wouldnt be as upset with pitts (although he aint falling to 8 ) but I would lose my mind if we selected Waddle over Slater.  Which I really doubt happens.  No need for Fit to get cute and do any trade downs his first. 

I hope you are right--I have a feeling, however, that the powers that be are going to want fast and shiny. Brace yourself.