• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Understanding the personnel Moves: The Panther's Wide Zone Blocking Scheme

MHS831

35 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

In this COVID year, I don't think the importance of the Senior Bowl for Carolina can be overstated. 

Scouting was severely curtailed in 2020.  Schools just canceling their entire football seasons.  Players opting out so no game tape for them.  No Combine.  As a consequence, the intelligence buildup on the draft prospects was a mess.  

Thank God the Panthers sucked so much this year that their coaching staff got to coach one of the Senior Bowl teams.   The experience gave them a week of direct contact & hands on coaching with a full team of draft prospects (as well as being able to see the other team's workouts & talk to those players after practice).  The very top 1st rounders don't go to Senior Bowl but much of rounds 3 - 7 are there.  And that's where Carolina was able to really shine - the middle & late draft.  Four of our picks in rounds 5-7 & two UDFA were all Senior Bowl attendees.  

And, as MHS astutely observed, knowing which guys you DON'T want to pick is also tremendously valuable - whether for bad scheme fit, bad athleticism, bad attitude, whatever.  So that knowledge helped the franchise as well.  

I hope Carolina doesn't get to coach at the Senior Bowl again any time soon.  But the opportunity was a real advantage during this recent COVID year.  

I wish they could do it without earning that "honor" because i think it definitely helped.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

That is awesome.  If you love your job, you do it better.

One thing that I realize is that few people love coming to work, but my hope is that their time there can at least be tolerable and that at some point in the start of the shift and by the end of the shift they have smiled and maybe laughed at least once.

if they can start their early day not being completely grumpy and leave not being pissed... i consider that a success and a reason to not dread coming to work when they might not feel like it.

That is my starting point and the goal is to make them feel like they are accomplishing something real and tangible and are of value to me and the organization.

You make them feel good about what they do, even if it's just loading trucks or taping up boxes (I work in a distribution center) and they will feel a bit of pride in what they do and as a result they will make sure it's done right and can meet all the deadlines and production goals.

• Pie 2